• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SdKfz 251 variants

SdKfz 251 variants

• SdKfz 251/2 (8cm mortar)

Votes: 10 9.8%
  • SdKfz 251/9 "Stummel" (7.5cm KwK L/24)

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • SdKfz 251/10 (3.7cm PaK 35/36)

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • SdKfz 251/21 (three MG151 15mm guns in turret)

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • SdKfz 251/22 (7.5cm PaK40 L/46)

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.9%

• Total voters
Well, I'm sure the 251/20 with an infrared searchlight would be great for night battles. But then we'd need the Panther with the FG1250 IR Scope. Then people would complain because the Russians would have no chance at all...

Remember that the Germans were using IR scopes as far back as 1934, and used them in combat in limited numbers back in 1939. But it wasn't until 1944 that they started getting serious about it. But like so many of the incedible technological advances they made, by the time they decided to get serious about using it, it was too late to make enough of a difference.

artnfpanth.jpg

artnfpanth3.jpg

vampir.jpg
That map in FH with all kinds of IR weapons/tanks was great.

Upvote 0
I'd say first look at the production numbers, see how it looks by the main version and then think about adding it. I don't want to see anything it in-game if it hardly appeared in combat . . .

I agree, which is one of the reasons I picked the variants I did for this poll.

I found some production numbers on the 251/21, not sure how accurate it is but the number I got was 268.

The 251/10 was a platoon leader's vehicle. As such I'm sure it would be the most common variant. After that the 251/2 and 251/9 would be the next most common. Followed lastly by the 251/22.

Upvote 0
They should add a PTRD to the Clown Coffin and then give the Germans the Sdkfz/10 with the 37mm, the coffin is more meanuverable and has a weaker gun while the Half track is slower but has a more powerful gun (Neither of which could penetrate from the front though so it's pretty balanced.)

The 3.7cm PaK 36 is certainly able to penetrate the 10mm front armor of the universal carrier. Loaded with the Pzgr.40, it can penetrate the frontal armor on the T-34 at 100m. If firing the Stielgranate 41, it can penetrate the frontal armor of any allied tank out to 300m (actually, max range was more like 800m. But with a velocity of only 110 m/s it wasn't too accurate past 300m).

Don't underestimate the Door Knocker.

Upvote 0
I'm not exactly sure about this, I'm taking the idea from a close combat game, preferably russian front, but didn't the halftracks and some german tanks have a panzerbusche 39 or that german AT rifle built into the vehicles?
i think you are right, im more familiar with the "invasion normandy cc5" where there was a 251 command halftrack with 1 mg42 and a panzerbushe AT-rifle, wich was verry effective against other halftracks, armore cars and stuart tanks

Upvote 0
I'm not exactly sure about this, I'm taking the idea from a close combat game, preferably russian front, but didn't the halftracks and some german tanks have a panzerbusche 39 or that german AT rifle built into the vehicles?

The 251/10 was sometimes equipped with the sPzB 41 instead of the PaK 36. But it's my understanding that the PaK 36 version was far more comon.

The Schwere Panzerbusche 41 was classified by the Germans as a Heavy Anti-Tank Rifle. Even though it's really more of a small AT Gun...

L6056.jpg

Upvote 0
It would only make sense to add the 75mm Stummel or L/46 Pak. The first as simple infantry support (-> hedgehog), the other one could be usefull on tank maps, ambushing small Russian troops.

However one should not forget balancing alltogether. The Russians would need more tanks then (either a new one or simply greater numbers on all maps).

Upvote 0
I don't really agree with this whole concept of one side gets something, so the other side must as well. I'm far more interested in historical accuracy. The 251 variants would be ideal for use in a combined arms map for infantry support. I can picture a German infantry platoon attacking an objective supported by a 251/9. In such a scenario there's really no need to give the Russians any vehicle at all. Balance doesn't mean that each side must be the same. Sure the Russians would need an AT Rifle to give them a chance. But I think that would be a reasonably fair map. The 251/9 would help to off set the advantage the Russians would have for defending.

Upvote 0