• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SDK Update Info for Oct 31 Update!!! Modders Please Read!!!

[TW]Ramm-Jaeger

Tripwire Interactive President
Oct 11, 2005
www.redorchestragame.com
This message applies to poeple using the SDK for creating maps, mutators, or mods.

The RO Mod SDK was updated for the October 31 update to no longer require the Steam.dll in the Red Orchestra\System folder. This fixes the issue of Steam updates breaking the game due to incompatibilies between the different Steam.dlls. This also means you can no longer launch ROEd.exe directly, but rather you need to launch it either through Steam, or through a shortcut that points to the ROMod SDK in steam (you can create this by right clicking the ROSDK in steam and selecting "Create Desktop Shortcut" from the menu that appears). Please DO NOT copy the Steam.dll over to your system folder any more as that will cause the incompatibility issues we had previously. If you have already copied Steam.dll over to your Red Orchestra\System directory, please delete it.

Now the rest of this message applies only to poeple coding mods or mutators for RO.

With getting rid of the Steam.dll in the system folder, the way that you use UCC.exe to compile code has changed. Generally, UCC is now started by launching the RO SDK itself with certain commandline paramaters. There are several different ways to handle this. Here are you options listed in recommended order:

1) Launch the ucc compile tool with a batch file that passes in the needed commandline parameters. The main thing to remember in this scenario is that you don't launch UCC.exe directly, but rather you launch the mod sdk with the "-ucc" commandline parameter, and then any other parameters that you would usually pass to UCC.exe are placed after that. Here is an example:

In my testing I put a batch file in the same directory as the Steam.exe with the following commands:
Code:
steam -applaunch 1220 -ucc make

2) Use your Unrealscript IDE (such as Wotgreal) to compile with Steam.exe by passing in the proper commandline parameters ("-applaunch 1220 -ucc make" for a standard compile). The downside is that some of the IDE's functionality might no longer be supported.

3) This is the least recommended (and unsupported) suggestion. With that said, it is probably what I would do if I were a modder :) You can still copy the Steam.dll over from the directory that Steam.exe is located in and place it into the Red Orchestra\System directory. If you do that, you will still be able to launch ucc.exe directly, and compile things just like you did before and use your IDE's (like WOTGreal) just like you did before. The downside is, that if Valve updates Steam, your game won't launch and you'll likely come on these forums saying "WTH my game is broken". So you've been warned, do this one at your own risk. Just remember, anytime Steam updates, you have to copy that Steam.dll over again. And also remember, this is unsupported, so if it doesn't work right don't ask for help here :)

Will be stickied at a later time and replace the thread I made last night on the subject which is now deleted.

And on the topic of SDK's. ROED hasn't used the GFC system since we changed to the new file system guys. It seems that many of you never picked up on that. The Steam SDK launch is now a much safer and happier place :)

Upvote 0
I have a question but if its not really relevent to this thread then delete it

Im not sure what the file structure of steam/RO is suposed to be but..

In my SteamApps folder I have a whole bunch of .ncf files OK. There are also three folders- "SourceMods", "slashbot_427", and "Common".

My red orchestra install is in the "common" folder along with Flatout2 install folder. In the "Slashbot_427" folder I have "TheShip" install folder.

Why is the red orchestra and flat-out2 install in the common folder but "The ship" install is in my user folder? Shouldn't all my games be in the "slashbot_427" user folder.

The reason I ask is I can't run the editor either directly from the ROed in the system folder, or from the

"E:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 1220

shortcut link without placing the steam.dll file into the system folder. Then it runs from the above shortcut or directly with no problem.

I currently run it fromn th shortcut above all the time. I dont have any problems launching any of my steam apps.

Here a quick pic of my file structure:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The difference between common and username folders are games under your username are source engine based and use a different file system (on the fly decompression from gcf's) where as 3rd party games (RO and flatout) decompress the files as soon as they finish downloading (meaning faster load times).

ROed needs to be launched either from within the steam browser under tools or with the applaunch cmd u listed afaik.

Upvote 0
I accept with information:
This is the least recommended (and unsupported) suggestion. With that said, it is probably what I would do if I were a modder :) You can still copy the Steam.dll over from the directory that Steam.exe is located in and place it into the Red Orchestra\System directory. If you do that, you will still be able to launch ucc.exe directly, and compile things just like you did before and use your IDE's (like WOTGreal) just like you did before. The downside is, that if Valve updates Steam, your game won't launch and you'll likely come on these forums saying "WTH my game is broken". So you've been warned, do this one at your own risk. Just remember, anytime Steam updates, you have to copy that Steam.dll over again. And also remember, this is unsupported, so if it doesn't work right don't ask for help here :)

Upvote 0