• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SDK Tutorials/Guides

Would SDK be a good tool to use/learn for somebody that has no experience such as my self but looking to have a try in getting into Mapping/Modding? :eek:

KF1 had very little resources on proper map-making/modding technique and was pretty difficult to get started. But from what we've seen, it appears KF2 is taking a more friendly approach, especially compared to KF1.

There's plenty of UDK3 tutorials already on the internet, and the KF2 SDK will be a modified version of that. So might as well get started with that. And I expect more KF2 modding tutorials to be created as the game goes on.

So short answer: yes, assuming you will put in the effort. It won't be easy, but it'll (most likely) be helluva lot easier than it was with KF1.

Upvote 0
KF1 had very little resources on proper map-making/modding technique and was pretty difficult to get started. But from what we've seen, it appears KF2 is taking a more friendly approach, especially compared to KF1.

There's plenty of UDK3 tutorials already on the internet, and the KF2 SDK will be a modified version of that. So might as well get started with that. And I expect more KF2 modding tutorials to be created as the game goes on.

So short answer: yes, assuming you will put in the effort. It won't be easy, but it'll (most likely) be helluva lot easier than it was with KF1.

This is the truth. UDK is much more enjoyable to create with and use

Upvote 0
sdk has been a real pain in the but for me

the textures in the sdk are completely different than the ones in game
as in the boom stick texture shows it should be blue in sdk but play the game and its red

and some the packets it is just refusing to load now

and when i save stuff with sdk it doesn't change anything in the game and I've looked for an file it mite saved it to can't find it

Upvote 0
Can we get a sound tutorial? I cant seem to figure out how to add ambient sounds to the level, everything I added so far is just plain silent.

Im aware of the "import your own wav" but I want to use the sound effects in the game... T_T

Are you initializing them in Kismet mikkou? I know all the ambient sounds in the stock maps are attached to a two-elemtn kismet logic that just says game start->play or somesuch.

I was going to place my first ambient sounds today but I'm having an unrelated issue I need o resolve that's making it too difficult to use the modular static set.

Upvote 0
Can we get a sound tutorial? I cant seem to figure out how to add ambient sounds to the level, everything I added so far is just plain silent.

Im aware of the "import your own wav" but I want to use the sound effects in the game... T_T

In the content browser, under Packages > Audio > Ambient there are several categories containting AkEvents that you can place in your scene. In each category there is an "AkBank" that you have to load with kismet :

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Are you initializing them in Kismet mikkou? I know all the ambient sounds in the stock maps are attached to a two-elemtn kismet logic that just says game start->play or somesuch.

I was going to place my first ambient sounds today but I'm having an unrelated issue I need o resolve that's making it too difficult to use the modular static set.

In the content browser, under Packages > Audio > Ambient there are several categories containting AkEvents that you can place in your scene. In each category there is an "AkBank" that you have to load with kismet :

Spoiler!

Thanks for the replies but I already figured this out ages ago :)

Forgot entirely I posted about it here.

Upvote 0
So I now have KF SDK, the Unreal Development Kit 3.

I can tell that this version is a a "light" version. I cannot implament foilage or find packages? WTH?

Anyone With any ideas?
I may have overlooked something in the tutorials. IDK, But it feels like the SDK is very limited. And why do we have to load the default game packages? Is this a Steam SDK kinda thing? Feels very..."wonky"..

Upvote 0
Edit: seems like that info was kind of limited too. Guess I have to search further if I want to know to actually code stuff.

To be fair ,you should be learning majority of it on your own. The only thing people really can do is teach the basics and from there, you expand, test or whatever. We're lucky to have what we have now as it is. In KF1, majority of us modders had to consistantly teach people and the tutorial wiki didn't turn up until a good few years in.

Upvote 0