• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Screw the King Tiger

Wrong, the KV1 was a real threat to anything lighter than the Tiger.

YES it has a small gun but it's armor was much stranger than the T34.

In THIS game the KV1 is weaker than the T-34 and this is simply wrong.
If it's armor was modelled right it would be able to take many hits allowing it more hits on the Pz4s and PzIIIs. That was my point.

On later maps we have the IS2 but on early maps the Russians are at a dissadvantage because the KV1's armor was fudged.

Try playing maps with Amizaur's Armored Beast mod installed, the KV-1 is now truly the heavy tank it was designed as!

Upvote 0
In THIS game the KV1 is weaker than the T-34 and this is simply wrong.
If it's armor was modelled right it would be able to take many hits allowing it more hits on the Pz4s and PzIIIs. That was my point
With RO's current armor system its not going to make a difference at all. Play on a server with the AB mutator.

Currently the KV-1 front armor is set to 80mm. The T34 is set to 110mm(!). Bumping up the KV armor to 110mm will just create a slower T34 without the slopped armor. That is exactly why the Russians stopped producing them.

The only tank at a disadvantage is the PzIV F1.

Upvote 0
With RO's current armor system its not going to make a difference at all. Play on a server with the AB mutator.

Currently the KV-1 front armor is set to 80mm. The T34 is set to 110mm(!). Bumping up the KV armor to 110mm will just create a slower T34 without the slopped armor. That is exactly why the Russians stopped producing them.

The only tank at a disadvantage is the PzIV F1.
Isn't the kv in game at the moment the lighter scout version? And wasnt the kv1e the version that in 41 the Germans either had to bring up an 88 or call the luftwaffe to crack open?

Upvote 0
Bet that got your attention.

Just some stuff that's been floating around in my mind recently. Here's what would make RO damned good for me.

The definitive list:
-Elimination of "pop-up" riflemen, i.e. we make movement slower so you can't just pop up, fire and disappear at random.
-Leaning made less advantageous, especially when leaning to the oppossite of your normal weapon stance and fix the clipping issues
-Ability to to pivot around a bipod deployed weapons bipod.
-Ability to look over the sights on MGs.
-Mantling
-Variable crouch height -- especially helpful for deploying MGs on window sills.
-SMGs given realistic recoil and accuracy.
-German grenade fuse returned to mod standard
-Disorientation when stabbed or hit by a weapon's butt
-Dropped items may no longer be piled on top of eachother. This will make it easy to pick up any item.
-PT Soldats binoculars removed, add option to carry PPSh41 or M38 and add full amount of ammo for PTRD.
-Add PTRS.
-PTRD brought back to realistic penetration.
-Add AT mines and grenades to replace satchels as AT weapon of choice.
-Impair ability to fire back when being shot ala America's Army. It is not realistic to be shot and not even flinch.
-Add "request class" feature ala America's Army.

A tear came to my eye.

I have never seen such a beautiful list in my whole time on these forums.

Can i have your kittuns??

Upvote 0
I don't think that was very common, I know i wouldnt swap my higher rof, bigger calibur smg for a gun that i would have to find ammo of dead guys for. I can understand why some brits might swap their sten for an mp40 but not the Thompson.

Well most of the with thompsons had only 20 round clips and that runs out mutch faster than 30 round ones and who wouldnt love (nazi, or commie) the good ol MP40. :D

Upvote 0
Well most of the with thompsons had only 20 round clips and that runs out mutch faster than 30 round ones and who wouldnt love (nazi, or commie) the good ol MP40. :D
tommygun.jpg

Stop talking about goddamned tanks! No one likes them!

SMGs are lovely topics for conversation.
I know it been said before but the ppsh with the stick magazine would, one can assume, balance the gun if the recoil was made realsitic.

Upvote 0
It's not wrong that the KV-1S has weaker armor than the KV-1. Where are you getting that from? The KV-1S that we have in game is the "scout" version with reduced armor to increase its speed. I mean, if the KV-1S still couldn't be taken out by long 75mms and 50mms then fine, but if it could then we have a mostly realistic version of things.

There's definitely problems with the armor code. The thing is, they're most noticeable with certain matchups which are often the Tiger/T-34-76 matchup that leaves players going "OMG!! WTF??? HOW DID HE KILL ME???!!! HOW COME I CAN'T KILL HIM???" Now, that's not to say that there aren't problems with the code, but the problems aren't confined to one side or the other. They're universal problems that are more noticeable in certain scenarios.

Upvote 0
knob on top of the scope

knob on top of the scope

Yes, we really should get the ability to pop a cap on our scope, use a screwdriver or our nails to adjust, and put the cap back on in the middle of a battle....
No, IRL there is a vertical knob on top of the scope, marked (as I remember) 1 - 2 -3 for each 100 meters. This knob is turned by fingers.

Upvote 0
Exactly!
Short burst shots at short range however should be just as deadly in game as they were in real life. Why do people think that many German Soldiers picked up a PPSH when they could?

Did some real shooting from PPSh and PPS. From the crouched (not prone though) could not hit the 100m target (300 feet). 15 bullets from each - not a single hit. But I am not THAT bad. I hit 100m with a modern Russian SWAT pistol from a prone position, very reliably. Also no problems with HK MP5.
Some more comments:
- Mosin's rifle was a sure death to the targets.
- It was impossible to hit a specific target with MG42. All of them went down! While shooting from a RPK machine gun was like using a surgeon's scalpel. Fantastic!

I was told that one could use PPSh effectively only with a strap over the shoulder. I believe that MP40 could be more exact because PPSh had a round clip - very inconvenient, and also a VERY tough trigger. (Same thing with MG42)

To developers: Do not change recoil of SMG. It is no problem for good players to use the properly. I can hit from the hip enemy heads in the windows! :D

Upvote 0
I would never swap a machined thing of beauty and precision like the Thompson for a stamped PoS MP40. Not to mention the superior .45 auto.

I may have swapped out my greasegun though.

Friend at work used a 45 in Vietnam once. He hated it. I asked why and he said that b**** felt like it weighed a ton.

Deductive reasoning would lead to the same conclusion in WWII.

Upvote 0
It's not wrong that the KV-1S has weaker armor than the KV-1. Where are you getting that from? The KV-1S that we have in game is the "scout" version with reduced armor to increase its speed. I mean, if the KV-1S still couldn't be taken out by long 75mms and 50mms then fine, but if it could then we have a mostly realistic version of things.

There's definitely problems with the armor code. The thing is, they're most noticeable with certain matchups which are often the Tiger/T-34-76 matchup that leaves players going "OMG!! WTF??? HOW DID HE KILL ME???!!! HOW COME I CAN'T KILL HIM???" Now, that's not to say that there aren't problems with the code, but the problems aren't confined to one side or the other. They're universal problems that are more noticeable in certain scenarios.

Somebody noted in another thread that even the KV1S included in this game still had more armor than the T-34. Yet the T-34 feels like it has twice the armor that the KV-1 has in-game.

This is wrong IMHO and needs to be fixed. That is because the armor values in the game do not correctly match in-game. The values make the KV1 weaker than the T34 in-game when it should be the other way around.

That was my point.

Even the PzIII and Stug are fudged in that they had more frontal armor than the Pz4 yet the game armor values are bas ackwards.

Upvote 0
Too many things to list:

-Adjustable sights for rifles
-Better tank penetration values
-No pop-up riflemen
-A LOT more sway when aiming in iron sights
-Less kick with the SMGS (it's way too exagerrated right now)

Beyond that, I'd say some beefier sounds and more ambience/war noise would add a lot to immersion. Red Orchestra is too quite for me. I just played some Day of Defeat 3.1 (still up and running on my computer) and the sound effects really took me back, considering it's what, 6-7 years old? I'd like to have the gunshots have some more oomph to them, and commands yelled in a war-like manner so the person who hears me saying ACHTUNG SHAMBEH BAMBEH ****s his pants. To me, RO sounds like limited engagements instead of a real war. Shots off in the distance, bullet cracks, more bullet impact sounds, etc. Not that I know what war sounds like, but hey...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Somebody noted in another thread that even the KV1S included in this game still had more armor than the T-34. Yet the T-34 feels like it has twice the armor that the KV-1 has in-game.

This is wrong IMHO and needs to be fixed. That is because the armor values in the game do not correctly match in-game. The values make the KV1 weaker than the T34 in-game when it should be the other way around.

That was my point.

Even the PzIII and Stug are fudged in that they had more frontal armor than the Pz4 yet the game armor values are bas ackwards.

Well, there's the angling issue for the T-34. I think the angling code in general is overdone, and as a result, the T-34 (which arguably has the most angled armor) becomes far more effective than it might've been in real life. But, that said, simply having more milimeters of armor does not mean your armor's "better".

Upvote 0