• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Screw the King Tiger

Some additions that I would like to see:

Moving the point of view on all players, in all stances, to between the models eyes. There is an issue with heavy MG gunners not being able to stay alive very long or even engage a single rifleman because the opposing player can go prone or lean and only a fraction of the players head is showing instead of half of his head.

I also support the removal of the "pop-up" soldiers and a players ability to jump up from prone or crouch, or even lean, and still have perfect aim right afterwards. I feel pretty confident saything that there are few people would can jump up from a crouched position or lean around a corner quickly and not have to recover and reaim.

The triumphant return of the mods PPSh41/PPD40 reloading animation!!!
(Yes, I know its silly, but that animation was AWESOME compared to the current one.)

Upvote 0
Even if it could, it's irrelevant at the ranges we engage. It MIGHT help for precision targeting, but beyond that it'd be pointless.

The armor system as a whole needs a LOT done to it to make that feature a worthwhile addition. We'd need the penetration models changed, more "sweet spots" added, the turret treated as a separate entity from the hull, longer range tank maps, etc., etc., etc.

Oh, and I agree with the original poster: Screw the King Tiger.

yea ... i think we all can sadly agree that tank combat needs a lot of improvement :(

Upvote 0
The turret IS considered separate from the hull. Who told you it wasn't?
Lies, the turret is not seperate from the hull. Only with the AB mutator will the turret be a seperate hit box.

Most scopes were between what... a 1.5x zoom to maybe a 4x zoom max back then, post WW2 scopes are typically 3-9x zoom, much better. Binoculars would have more zoom. I am not sure about the Tank Optics.
I don't know about Russian scopes, but German snipers used a 4x or 6x scope. 4x is good to 400 meters, 6x is good to 800-1000 meters depending on the skill of the sniper.

Upvote 0
The turret IS considered separate from the hull. Who told you it wasn't?

Hours and hours of personal experience have told me otherwise.

Don't believe me? Test it for yourself.

Angle your tank and have your buddy be forced to face off against you while you're angling. Before your buddy fires, turn your turret so that it's side is facing your buddy or its rear. Then have your buddy take a shot at the turret and tell me what happens.

In my experience, the angle of the hull is imparted to the turret regardless of the turret's facing. Thus, the turret is not being treated by the game as a separate hitbox. It may have separate hitpoints or armor thickness or whatever, but the game isn't accessing them and basically treats it as a part of the hull.

Upvote 0
Personally, I like the King Tiger because it's cool sounding and bad ass looking and what not. But, I am really not a tanker at all. This is first and foremost an infantry game to me.

Yoshiro, that's lovely to hear. The AA feature though, while I personally dislike it as well, strikes me as something that should be added because it is realistic. Also, when I spoke of SMGs, I am not referencing the recoil bug. I understand you were replying to another poster, yes, but, I am referring to the SMGs as a whole. They need changing badly. I've fired an MP-40 myself--the recoil in this game is much greater than I experienced.

Upvote 0
The things i'd like to see implemented in red orchestra are as follows:
German
-The tiger that WON'T die from one shot to a T-34/85
-The mauser C-96 (it was in the mod)
-The panzerschreck (i know it was already suggested)
-Flammenwerfer 35 (flamethrower... heh heh heh... pyromania...)
-FG42 (just for fun)
-Short range assault aircraft of some kind... yeah, not bloody likely... but possible~ (both sides)
-Realistic panther-tiger ratios (it should be approximately 4 panthers to 1 tiger, not 4 tigers to one panther)
Soviet
-ISU 152 self propelled gun
-if the above is unavailable/infeasible, ISU122 works just as well.
-RPG 40 or RPG 43... it's not fair that the germans get all the panzerfausts.
-PTRS (i know, again it has been suggested)
-A DShK machine gun on any mount feasible... i'm not sure if bipods were the normal thing with them or if tripods were... anyway...

and uhh..........Jagdpanthers. they are just COOL.

Upvote 0
Personally, I'd like to see the tank combat system given as much love as possible. Infantry combat is about as good as it gets right now without otherwise adding to the CPU load (IE: grenade physics for rolling and bouncing, penetration modeling for certain surfaces and round types). If those things can be added with minimal strain on CPUs, fine and dandy. But otherwise, I'd focus on areas that need more help.

And tank combat definitely needs more help. It's great now, lots of fun, but DESPERATELY needs some tweaking. Towards that end, I'd add:

- A multitude of extra "hit zones" to the tanks. IE: crew compartments for hull and turret positions (a shot to which kills the tank or the crewman and disables the position). Road wheels to make angling a careful choice rather than default approach. Optics and gun mounts (IE: destroyed optics = have to unbutton and guess to aim; destroyed gun mount = gun frozen in position). Turret turning mechanism (IE: hit to turret ring could jam the turret in position). And so on.

- Faster velocity tank shells (if not too much burden on CPU or net traffic).

- Reworked armor penetration model. Short range is a problem. Angling seems to impart a lot more "thickness" than it should.

- Fix the turret = hull issue.

- After all of the above is dealt with, start making longer range tank maps and rework the existing tank maps into longer range versions. We have this new increased visibility distance but NO ONE is using it.

Once all THAT has been done, add in some early-war stuff. :)

Upvote 0
I'd like a milder version of the AA feature.

Its just silly how an MG fires on a rifleman behind some wood and the rifleman just stay in position aims and kills the MG in a single shot. Any normal human being would have crapped their pants and ducked for cover. This is a huge and unfair disadvantage for MG players.

Other than that I don't mind new guns or increasing the level of realism, just don't go overboard with it though ^^

Upvote 0
While I agree with some of this, I just can't help but think that people who ask "to balance things out" just want to turn the game in their favor.

Removing the popup ability will give significant advantages to the defensive minded players (ie campers) and will severely reduce attackers possibility as they will always be advancing toward an already manned enemy position. I do not believe that is RO.

Ability to fire back when hit is a tricky issue, although the freeze when shot in the legs is lame (no pun intended). I mean make the player dive to the ground due to the pain but just hanging in mid air looking like a complete fool is just ridiculous. But it would simple give another advantage to the defender, he is usually the first to shoot. Have you ever been killed by a guy hit in the leg? He is usually without cover right in the open... People actually prefer dying than being a lame duck without any means to return fire. Maps like kaukasus are already completely in favour of the defenders, why giving them another advantage?

Now about the MG issue, true no man would stay head above aground when a MG42 fires down range. Yet think about the implications that means the MG becomes so powerful it can pwn anyone. Matter of check&balances. The MG can already stop massive rushs in a matter of second or completely changes opposing team mindsets (from a gunho attack to a slower paced attack, and that's where it's awesome) but it will be shot by accurate bolt actions fire (scoped or not), who will in turn be killed by smg or semi auto rushs. I find that pretty balanced already.
Fun games are not made by sticking only to realism, all things should be balanced out. Ultimate realism is impratical, whatever you think.

Clipping has always been (since Ostfront) a part of the game, I dunno how it will be fixed and obviously one guy firing with his helmet is a bit over the top but usually a grenade does the job. People just tend to think "yeah ! I'm going to shoot a guy waiting for me for the last 5 minutes without proper cover.. Wait no better I'm going to rush it with my papasha and then complain in the forum about exploiters and stuff."

The PTRD is fine, few people know how to use it, but I can guarantee you I have seen people blowing panthers&tigers in two shot and PZIVF1/2 in one shot, believe it or not. That doesn't sound too bad a weapon eh? Its use in clanwars is still dubious true but giving it a carbine or a smg will just make this class ueber, and frankly who's going to carry a 14kg gun plus a 4kg smg?

Anyway same old, same old.

Upvote 0