• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

screenshots

Plaid13

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2006
Pretty sure we cant do this already so heres my idea and if there is some trick to do it let me know. screenshots save as bmp files pretty much a evil worthless file that takes up way too much space. Is there a way or can one be added to save them as jpegs? just so they save at a fraction of the size.

Is there a way or can one be added to save them as jpegs? just so they save at a fraction of the size.
I think this doesn't work because of copyright thingies. Don't ask me for details though, and highly question my words here!

Its easy enough to convert them however and as stated above Fraps can create jpg-screenshots.

Upvote 0
I use gadwin print screen freeware program (found here). It's just a brilliant install and forget tool. It can capture what you see in various different formats and can even resize the pictures for you. It has so far worked for every app I've used with it. It's also handy that ALL your screenshots go into same folder, so you no longer need to surf directories finding 'em.

Upvote 0
I use Paint.Net, basically its MS paint on steroids (the newest version, v3.0, does not support Windows 2k, you need version 2.72 or lower). Though obviously its purpose is not simply image conversion, but it does do it. Simply open the bmp in Paint.Net and save it as a jpeg. Though I'm not sure how good the quality will be for something like a digital camera, but for RO screen shots its great.

Upvote 0
Pretty sure we cant do this already so heres my idea and if there is some trick to do it let me know. screenshots save as bmp files pretty much a evil worthless file that takes up way too much space. Is there a way or can one be added to save them as jpegs? just so they save at a fraction of the size.
bmp aren't worthless or evil they are "lossless" Meaning what you are viewing they capture exactly without any image quality loss. Jpeg on the other hand is "lossy" so you lose detail when you save as jpeg. I use Irfanview then batch convert the BMP's to PNG (another lossless but it's smaller file size than BMP). If space is your primary concern then definitely use JPEG; if not then use PNG for best image quality + lower file size. And yes I've been using Gadwin printscreen for years for various tasks, it's great.

Upvote 0