• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Scoped Mosin with silencer FTW

Oleg

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
Thought you're going to like this :D

Nestor do you recognize the language?

mosin.jpg

Thought you're going to like this :D

Nestor do you recognize the language?

I do :p

It says:
1) Special Forces Weaponry

2) The turret and the door of the armoured transport penetrated with bullets during the incidents at the Defence Ministry.

the pistol looks like a Hungarian pa63
I think the pistol is a ________ Carpati. (I've shoot it several times :p)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting photos Seth but why would anyone mount a sniper scope on a grenade launcher? ;)

Perhaps it's not too visible on the photo but IRL it was obviously a silencer (suppressor), rifle belonging to "special forces".

BTW the photo is from Museul Militar in Bucharest Romania.

Upvote 0
Reddog I've heard the argument that it makes harder to detect the direction where the shot comes from. So you do hear the (marginally surpressed) noise as the bullet breaks the sound barrier, but you can't pinpoint the direction as you would if there's no surpressor.

That's what I heard as reason to mount suppressors on high power rifles, I have no personal experience firing silenced firearms :D

Upvote 0
Yep. When a high powered rifle, or any super sonic round, is silenced. It makes it very difficult to detect the direction it came from. Even though there is still a super sonic crack.

IIRC during the Yugoslav civil war some "snipers" would use .22s with plastic coke bottles taped to the end. Once the round passed around 50 yards it was difficult to detect where it came from. I've tried it before with a 20 oz, and a 2 liter bottle. If you use sub-sonic .22 ammo it sounds like a pellet rifle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice job completely missing the point, what I meant was I don't see the reason for having a supressor on a rifle firing 7.62x54R (like all Nagants do) because you cannot adequately suppress a full bore rifle round which breaks the sound barrier :rolleyes:

Dampening or supressing the initial muzzle blast makes pinpointing a snipers position harder.

EDIT: I was beaten by a long margin ;/

Upvote 0
Yep. When a high powered rifle, or any super sonic round, is silenced. It makes it very difficult to detect the direction it came from. Even though there is still a super sonic crack.

IIRC during the Yugoslav civil war some "snipers" would use .22s with plastic coke bottles taped to the end. Once the round passed around 50 yards it was difficult to detect where it came from. I've tried it before with a 20 oz, and a 2 liter bottle. If you use sub-sonic .22 ammo it sounds like a pellet rifle.
The IDF use Ruger 10/22 Suppressed Sniper Rifles.

Israeli_ruger-3_250.jpg

From this site http://www.ruger1022.com/docs/israeli_sniper.htm, I had a larger picture of the one above, but I can't seem to find it.

Upvote 0