• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Scope Ranging

DucusSumus

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006
I think that there really ought to be a way for a sniper to adjust his scope for firing at targets at long range. The distance would have to be estimated of course, but this ability would be both realistic and useful.

If you set a range of 600 meters, for example, the scope could be adjusted so that if you aimed straight at a target 600 meters away, you would actually be firing a little higher to compensate for bullet drop over that distance.

Currently, RO allows for the ranging of tank sights. I don't believe that implementing ranging on sniper scopes would be that difficult.

I don't know; I wasn't a sniper in WWII. However, ranging is definitely used extensively by snipers today, and, to be honest, I would assume that it was used in WWII as well. Nevertheless, WWII optics were certainly ABLE to be ranged, and so, in the spirit of realism, the option should be there. Any sniper that wishes to do say may of course leave his scope ranged at 0 meters and manually compensate.

Upvote 0
less swarms of enemies now days :p

I actually would like this though, but ranging means fiddling with the scope to turn stuff and that takes time.. though they could just make it instant i suppose, though that'd be unrealistic.
and, what keys are you oging ot use? The lean keys used for tanks is used for well.. leaning.. as a sniper.

Upvote 0
necropimp said:
it was way more common in WW2 to aim off the target to compensate for wind and bullet drop than to even think of touching any of the knobs on the scope

Actually, not true. When a Russian sniper had time, and granted it doesn't take much time, to change the elevation on their scope, they did so, because it was easy.

When a Russian sniper was issued a Mosin Nagant with the PU scope, they were sent out to sight it in, naturally. When the sniper did this, they sighted in at a known distance say, for example, 100 metres. On the top of the PU scope is a small turret numbered from 1 to 13. This is the distances that the scope could be sighted in for. 1 being 100 metres, 13 being 1300.

When the sniper sighted his rifle in for 100 metres, he could then simply move the turret to whatever distance he was shooting at and could be confident that he would hit point of aim. There was no "X amount of clicks for Y distance" that you deal with with modern scopes.

The reason for this is that the crosshairs in the scope are not stationary. They move depending on the distance the scope is marked for.

To show this, and forgive the crap Paint pictures, but my digital camera doesn't work, else I'd show this on my Mosin Nagant sniper.

When the scope is set for 100 metres, the crosshairs appear far up in the scope view. This forces the shooter to aim the muizzle slightly downwards.

mn100m.jpg
100 Metre Setting

However, when the shooter moves the turret to the 13, the crosshairs move downwards in the scope view, forcing the shooter to aim the muzzle upwards, resulting in the compensation for bullet drop.

mn1300m.jpg
1300 Metre Setting

This scope design, as horrible as it was to sight in properly, resulted in the sniper being able to extremely quickly adjust his scope for whatever distance he chose to fire at.

While he likely wouldn't have had time to adjust aim if he was found in the open, under fire, it would be under unusual circumstances for a sniper to find themselves under that situation.

Upvote 0
Oh, I find it entirely likely.

I can't say for certain, since I'm not overly familiar with the scope systems used by the other countries, but just taking an educated guess based off the scope mount setups, I would imagine that the US had to do that, as well as Canada, and possibly Germany.

Upvote 0
Here is my best idea for implementing this.

When in IS you could use your scroll wheel to adjust your sight range (so there would be like 2 for the mp40, 10 for the kar, or something like that) it would be one more thing to keep track of with your weapon and it would really make you attached to it, like it was a living thing instead of just a thing that goes boom when you click your left mouse.

If Ramm could find the time to implement this and the animators time to add the animations I would absolutely LOVE to see this added.

Upvote 0
Tanis said:
I can't say for certain, since I'm not overly familiar with the scope systems used by the other countries, but just taking an educated guess based off the scope mount setups, I would imagine that the US had to do that, as well as Canada, and possibly Germany.
The German scopes functioned exactly like the Mosin setup you mentioned above. Zf-39's (for the K98) and Zf-4's (for the G/K43) were both typically 4-power scopes that were elevation-adjustable from 100-1000+ meters.

The Zf-39 wasn't the only model scope used on K98's, but it was a fairly common type. There were 6-power and 8-power variants, but they were exceedingly rare compared to 4-power versions. The Zf-4 only came in 4-power models.

The Zf-4 was adjustable for both windage and elevation, while the Zf-39 typically had fixed windage that was adjusted by means of moving the rear mount left or right. Once set, it wasn't adjusted again unless it got knocked around. On the long side-rail K98 mount, its a pain in the ass to adjust, so once its set, it stays set.

On topic: What I'd like to see is the option to adjust the rear leaf sight for elevation when in iron sights. Its a pretty quick adjustment and would go some way in allowing people to hit their targets at long distance. I always lose sight of the target at long distances because I have to aim above it, thus obscuring the target with the rifle's sights. :-/

Minor niggle. Still loving RO. :)

Upvote 0