• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Scenarios being mapped:

hi,:) Does anyone try to make the map of "Red Square"?:confused:
I think that I make it if there are no one.

Which Red Square do you mean? There is one in Moscow, of course, but I believe that there was also a Krasnaya Ploshchad' in Stalingrad as well. Doubtless many other cities had one as well. Like 'Prospekt Lenina' is basically Russian for 'High Street' or 'Main Street'.

If you are doing a Moscow scenario please bear in mind that, while the Kremlin itself is relatively unchanged in appearance, there have been plenty of other developments in the area: The rebuilding of Khram Khrista Spasitelya (Cathedral of Christ the Saviour), the rise and fall of the eye-wateringly ugly Hotel 'Rossiya' and the construction of the underground shopping complex at Okhotni Ryad (scene of a Chechen bomb attack).

Basically, what I'm saying is, don't rely on Google Earth or modern photos too much.

Oh and best of luck making the Khram Vasiliia Blazhennogo (St Basil's Cathedral) - you'll need it or a very good friend with Maya skills to handle all those multi-coloured onion domes.

St_Basils_Cathedral-500px.jpg

I would say Tochiri that, given your love of tunnels, a Moscow scenario which you would prolly enjoy making more would be set in the Metro - huge, elaborate hallways and multiple lines intersecting in the centre. Some examples might be:

Intersection where Okhotni Ryad, Teatralnaya and Ploshchad Revolutsii are situated (3 lines meet = 3 stations)

or, even more ambitiously, where Aleksandrovy Sad, Borovitskaya, Arbatskaya, Biblioteka Imeni Lenina are situated (4 lines = 4 stations) This underground complex is an absolute maze, as anyone who has got lost in it as a dumb toursit can tell you.

To give you an idea of what these places look like - here is Mayakovskaya:

moscowgallery2.jpg

and here is Arbatskaya:

Moscow_Metro_Arbatskaja.jpg

This one is Komsomolskaya - as a Londoner I have to laugh at the concept of chandeliers in the Metro as I'm sure any New Yorker or Tokyo-ite would as well.

L5-komsomolskaya.jpg

One of my personal favourites is Elektrozavodskaya - can you imagine how long it would take to build the lighting on this map?

L3_elektrozavodskaya.jpg

One thing that probably would be problematic would be getting hold of plans of the stations - this kind of info is usually classified to prevent it being used in terror attacks. But, if you're going to do a hypothetical Moscow scenario then the Metro could be a place to really let rip with your tunnel modelling skills and make something of great beauty. Here is a useful link: http://urbanrail.net/eu/mos/pix/mos-gallery.htm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Tochiri. I'm here to help if you need a hand research- and resource-wise with RedSquare. I will tell you, though, that I MIGHT work on a port of my Red Square map sometime in the future. This shouldn't stop you from doing this map if you want, but I just thought you should know.

Fyrom, I did release another version with improved spawns right before OST shipped, but no one was around anymore to play it :(

Upvote 0
At tochiri you might want to find different names as thouse were both maps back in the mod day. Dont wont people thinking your map is a port of theres.

Just as an idea to separate your map from mod RedSquare, you could shift the focus more towards the Univermag Department Store at the end of the original, with maybe having two objectives inside the building and more rooms modelled, and calling the map RO-Univermag ;)

Upvote 0
I've plinked with the mod tools enough. I'm going to actually start a real map now, intended for others to play on and enjoy (or hate!). /nervous and such :)

It will be slow and a long time in coming, as I'm still not terribly proficient at the tools but am incredibly ****-retentive about little details. I posted a question about it below. Wish me luck :)

RO-FarmAssault

Upvote 0
Because of a variety of issues, I've shelved RO-Attila and I'm currently working on a new map, RO-Buda_Ostroma. Its an infantry-only fight among three villas set on the side of a hill in Buda, during the middle part of the Siege. The villas have been under sporadic direct artillery fire from the opposing hill for a week and a half, so they're in various states of destruction.

I've got one villa 75% done, and I'm currently working on the urban street that the Soviets start out at lower down the hill. Once I've got those two down I can start making the terrain, and show off some screenies. I'm reusing a lot of material from RO-Attila though, so its giving me a jump start.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've plinked with the mod tools enough. I'm going to actually start a real map now, intended for others to play on and enjoy (or hate!). /nervous and such :)

It will be slow and a long time in coming, as I'm still not terribly proficient at the tools but am incredibly ****-retentive about little details. I posted a question about it below. Wish me luck :)

RO-FarmAssault​

Please before you release it, change the name. RO-FarmAssault sounds horrible. Yes I know you can be more creative than that. Either make up a German/Russian town name or find a real one that you can model your troops and time around.

Upvote 0