• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Santa's Workshop doesn't play in survival/objective mode properly

LolzMan1325

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Since this map acts different than the other objective modes, it has a bit of an issue this update, which I discovered last night.

Category: code
Reproducibility: always
Summary: Santa's Workshop doesn't adjust its layout and progression properly between game modes
Online/Offline: both
Description:
The issue is this:
If Santa's Workshop is launched in objective mode, players will spawn in the beginning area, with all the doors locked as normal. However, Santa doesn't begin his narration, nor does the wave counter or timer start (showing a blank --- where the numbers on the counter are supposed to be), and no zeds can make it to the area. This effectively results in a softlock of sorts, making the map unplayable in Objective mode.

However, if the map is launched in Survival, the map will instead play the Objective mode version as normal. The doors will be locked, and Santa will narrate and give you tasks, and players will move through the map like normal. However, this isn't how the map is supposed to play out for Survival mode as the map is supposed to be completely open, with no doors locked, and devoid of tasks.

We can see that the actual Objective mode version of the map replaced Survival somehow, and the actual Survival version is out somewhere where the game doesn't load it properly, so Objective ends up replacing Survival, and Survival ends up replacing nothing.

You know that maps have to be DESIGNED for the Objective mode to support Objective mode? As far as I know this is a survival map, with objectives.

and I was right, verified the server config files (which should be the same as the client config file so even in local play you shouldn't have it available):

[KF-SantasWorkshop KFMapSummary]
MapName=KF-SantasWorkshop
MapAssociation=2
ScreenshotPathName=UI_MapPreview_TEX.UI_MapPreview_SantasWorkshop
bPlayableInSurvival=True
bPlayableInWeekly=True
bPlayableInVsSurvival=False
bPlayableInEndless=True
bPlayableInObjective=False

Upvote 0
The map released as a survival map (but with objectives, like some custom map, Survival mode but with some objectives), I don't know this is how the map works. The Objective game mode didn't exist at that time it was only recently added.
  • Objective
    • Every wave has a mandatory objective, and these objectives must be accomplished to proceed to the next wave.
    • An objective map has a predetermined number of waves. There is no short, medium, or long game length for these.
    • It has story elements! There are unique user interface elements, characters, environment objects, special effects, cinematics, and voice overs to convey a narrative experience alongside the Zed carnage.

Here is the hint to see if a map is an Objective map, everything is predetermined: number of waves, objectives, boss (like on Outpost Ojective the boss is not at the last wave like on Survival), and so on.

The only objective maps so far are:

BioticsLab
Nuked
Outpost
SteamFortress
ZedLanding

Another hint, look at the Steam achievements only the map I listed have Ojective mode achievements.

Upvote 0