• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sad to see what happens to RO2 at the moment

Mostly because of performance problems this game gets 0/10's on a very important review page (metacritic.com).

Metacritic has no official reviews yet for the game. The user score is currently 6.9/10

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/red-orchestra-2-heroes-of-stalingrad

I wish Metacritic would hold off a bit on allowing reviews for the game as for many games these days the first week isnt great if Patch is required...

Who cares what the user scores are at any site, including metacritic?

Actually it matters quite a bit. Like you, i dont generally go based on any review site like this but many do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OMG, are you serious??? It's 0/10 because it hasn't BEEN reviewed yet! NEXT!

He's talking about user reviews.

Alot of people put more stock in those than 'proffessional reviews'

Metacritic has no official reviews yet for the game. The user score is currently 6.9/10

6,9... A lot less than it should deserve.

Upvote 0
Who cares what the user scores are at any site, including metacritic?

I've never once put any stock into them because of mob mentality and the idea of jumping onto a bandwagon. They're worthless.

I ususally pay alot of attention to them.

If you skim alot of 1's and 10's from those scores, you get a good breakdown of what people think of it.

Why pay stock in professional reviewers, half of which probably has been paid for their reviews at some point (gamespot anyone?)

I like the game, and I think the game is very good. It's probably the most engaging and the most pc-like first person shooter to released in a while. but the performance is jarring and kills alot of the fun. But I think they had it fixed it by now, if they knew how to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The game IS good, however it does have many stability issues right now and is lacking in some areas. My system is regularly cleaned-up and well maintained in general yet I've crashed a dozen times today, at least once on each map.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 has been out for a year, has been patched several times, and I STILL can't play the game for longer than half an hour without a total system lockup requiring a hard reset.

That game was made by one of the biggest names in gaming, is over a year old, and is running on the exact same computer on the exact same steam account as RO2 beta was running on. In total RO2 BETA crashed less than BFBC2 does in a single gaming session.

So yeah, all things considered, TWI has done a great job.

Reactions: LMAOser
Upvote 0

You're actually saying: 'compared to Bad Company 2 TWI has done a great job'

I disagree, I got more FPS on BC 2 with my hardware at the time than I get with RO2 on new hardware. And I do think BC2 looks a tad better.

But letsn assume you are right : doing slightly better than something terrible, isn't exactly defined as 'great'

Upvote 0
I also had problems with the beta of RO2, same issues exist now. I have a gtx470 and get fps of 18-25, with everything maxed. I experimented and dropped everything to low settings, got 30 fps. I then put everything to medium and then went into custom settings and began inching it up. I then joined a 64 player server and it was running sweet as, 50 fps. I was playing for around 20 minutes and then my frames dropped to around 18 fps again for the rest of the match.

There is something seriously wrong here.

Upvote 0
BC2 crashing your PC... don't even go there.

It's well known fact that BC2 is a very good test for crappy OC-ed components.

It's ridiculous to compare the two from the technical point of view.
R02 works, barely.

From the net code (still cant use server browser), lag, high pings, clipping, LOD problems, hit detection, from the performance point of view etc etc.

I couldn't care less for BC2, that greenish-white desert COD,
and I love RO2.

Upvote 0
Many of them are making a valid point on the unoptimized and rather unstable nature of the release and rating the game as it IS and not as it has the potential to be.

I dunno. I have a middle of the road I7 , 4 gb ram and a 5750 and it runs at 50-60 frames all the time.

I think the majority of the problems lies on the user as some with similar systems have vast problems , some dont. Do the ones with problems have their systems optimized for gaming? Many usually dont. They usually have IM's, Skype, Mcafee or Norton (or some other bloatware AV), HP (or some other consumer PC garbage) help assistants and a whole host of background items running and shake their fists at the air and say the game is junk when they get poor performance. This is not always the case , but many times it is.

I've been PC gaming since the mid 90's and like it or not it takes actual work to get the best out of any game. The ones who are not having problems have their homework and research done beforehand and have the proper drivers installed , and processes tweaked out to a minimum. There is no substitute for it , as these are not console games. You don't have to be a system builder , you just need to do the proper research for the game engine in question. Its funny when a comparison is made like "Well I can run <GAMEX> on full, and yet I cannot run <GameY> on the lowest settings!!!11oneelebenty!! It makes no sense as they are different games.

Folks need to calm down and put the work into it to get the full benefit.

Upvote 0
I've been PC gaming since the mid 90's and like it or not it takes actual work to get the best out of any game.

Mid 90? Lol, Yeah yeah, who hasn't?

At that time this was sometimes true. But I haven't had a game in years that runs so bad on top end hardware.

Appologists can put it down to the users all they want. But it's pretty clear to me that this game is a technical steaming pile of turd.

Whatever tweak I have used has let to nothing. Even running it on the lowest don't help with the slowdows and the stutters

I;m running a 2500K @ 4.2
16 GB ram
2x 6970.

Maybe the attitude that 'it must be the user and that everybody should 'tweak' is just the cause of more **** performing games coming out, since alot of people seem to be convinced it;s all of the user's PC's that are broken in some way, instead of the game, dev's don;t really need to deliver anymore.

Upvote 0
BC2 crashing your PC... don't even go there.

It's well known fact that BC2 is a very good test for crappy OC-ed components.

No OC. LOL. Good try. So why does that major game from a major developer that looks no better than this one... why does THAT game crash constantly on this computer while RO2 BETA didn't?

I am not saying RO2 doesn't crash. I'm saying it is no worse than even the biggest game companies produce, so picking on the small guys for it is pretty damn low.

Everything I can think of about RO2 beta is better than BFBC2 release version, and I paid twice as much for BFBC2, and I can't even get an hours play out of it. Even when RO2 beta did crash, it was never as hard as when BFBC2 crashed, and it did it constantly. I would be rebooting every ten minutes or so and spend most of my time waiting for the computer to reboot and the game to load.

That game is the reason I'm not even going to pirate BF3. Screw EA. I'm done with them. Everything I have seen and heard from and about TWI makes me think that unlike BFBC2, any problems this game has WILL be fixed.

Seriously, it's so damn hard to make a game like this without bugs, I don't even expect EA games to be bug free on release. What I do expect is for EA to fix the bugs before they start trying to sell me their next overpriced piece of ****. They don't, so I'm not interested.

All the RO1 old hands said that TWI isn't like that, what I have seen of them makes me think they aren't like that, and even WITH the bugs it's the best damn FPS I have ever played or even seen.

So considering I paid nearly half the usual price for it, I'm overjoyed.

-

I just checked, and even though I have had it for months, and it was the only game I played, I only have 423 hours on BFBC2. I had hit at least 50 on the RO2 BETA by the time it was disabled.

That should tell you something.

Come to think of it, it tells you I'm a masochist. I'm surprised it was that much really.

What it does tell me is that BFBC2 crashed at least a thousand times on my computer. OMG. **** EA!!!! PS Who said Windows isn't stable? 1000 hard resets and not a scratch on it. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: AsoBit
Upvote 0
No, game is not fine. You are the one to think that this game is actually fine.
Getting 30-50 fps with medium/low settings on a i860, 5870hd, 8gb ram PC is not fine, expecially when the game looks crap. I can't download the server list and when I do it crashes my internet. Stats are not saved.

This is not fine

I think it's fine too. I have faith they'll work out whatever it is that made you mad enough to start this thread.

Upvote 0
I think it's fine too. I have faith they'll work out whatever it is that made you mad enough to start this thread.

I don't think so.

There are so many people who can barely play the game, or have **** performance on very decent systems.

I do not think TWI has missed these issues in the earlier closed betas.

But they haven't fixed it. All the beta patches didn't ,on avarage, do much either.

I'm not counting on fixes from TWI.

Upvote 0
OP: learn to tweak games before you *****, or buy a better pc k

protip: set game to custom settings and edit bucket5 in ROCompat, then half all texture sizes like this

Code:
TEXTUREGROUP_UI=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Lightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=2,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Shadowmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=4,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_WorldNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=4,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_WorldSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=4,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=2,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=2,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=2,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=4,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=4,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=4,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Vehicle=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=4,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=4,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=4,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Effects=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=4,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_EffectsNotFiltered=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=4,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Skybox=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=4,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_ProcBuilding_Face=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=4,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_ProcBuilding_LightMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=4,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Terrain_Heightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=4,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Terrain_Weightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=4,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Cinematic=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)
TEXTUREGROUP_MobileFlattened=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=4,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Point)

also set Distortion to False

in ROEngine u can edit following to false under [SystemSettings]:

Code:
DynamicLights=False
DynamicShadows=False
MotionBlur=False
MotionBlurPause=False
DepthOfField=False
AmbientOcclusion=False
Bloom=False
UseHighQualityBloom=False
bAllowLightShafts=False
Distortion=False
FilteredDistortion=False
DropParticleDistortion=False
bAllowDownsampledTranslucency=False

and again half 4096 to 2048 just to be sure ^^

now stop *****ing to the devs, its not their fault UE3 is **** for online games ok, and try to do something urself ffs

Reactions: Thaelyn
Upvote 0
OP: learn to tweak games before you *****, or buy a better pc k

now stop *****ing to the devs, its not their fault UE3 is **** for online games ok, and try to do something urself ffs

Haha, are you even reading what you're saying?

So you;re saying, people should all take up tweaking, because TWI charges money for a game that uses an engine they don;t even know how to code?

Haha.

I think you are the wet dream of every company.

A mindless drone costumer.

You say it's whining, but trust me, and this may come as a revelation for you, it's not weird, or indecent for costumers to complain when they a product of defective or not working as it should.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Many of them are making a valid point on the unoptimized and rather unstable nature of the release and rating the game as it IS and not as it has the potential to be.

I can run the game smoothly (smooth as in it mostly remains on the upper half of 20fps, usually 30+ average) with two year old laptop with up to 50p (haven't tested anything bigger so far), only practical problem would be long-*** loading times. No real crashing or anything. Key difference here might be I didn't even try to put anything other than as low details as possible and 1280x768 resolution.

(It's not a gaming laptop either FYI.)

Plus stuff like "Hey I can run game X on everything beefed up so I'm sure I can run RO2 beefed up everything up to 9001 without any problems and... hey wtf this game runs poorly and it doesn't look like BF3 wtf this game is aids and my PC is never at fault and I refuse to try any other settings" and create drama that makes melodramatic parody look tame in comparasion are not exactly that credible if you really consider it.

Upvote 0
Battlefield Bad Company 2 has been out for a year, has been patched several times, and I STILL can't play the game for longer than half an hour without a total system lockup requiring a hard reset.

That game was made by one of the biggest names in gaming, is over a year old, and is running on the exact same computer on the exact same steam account as RO2 beta was running on. In total RO2 BETA crashed less than BFBC2 does in a single gaming session.

Just to add to that, when I bought the game a month or two ago, I couldn't get the thing to run decently, look decently, get the addons I paid for and a bunch of other things without having to go to EA's customer support to get them to fix it on their end.

It's fine now, but even the big wigs can't make a "perfect" game right off the bat, let alone years after it's released.

Hell if you swam-ducked between the pipe and gap above it in the water world in Super Mario Bros.... you glitch and get stuck until the timer runs out.

Nobody's perfect, nor is a game ever perfect for everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: AsoBit
Upvote 0
Plus stuff like "Hey I can run game X on everything beefed up so I'm sure I can run RO2 beefed up everything up to 9001 without any problems and... hey wtf this game runs poorly and it doesn't look like BF3 wtf this game is aids and my PC is never at fault and I refuse to try any other settings" and create drama that makes melodramatic parody look tame in comparasion are not exactly that credible if you really consider it.

i5 2500k @ 4.2
16GB ram
2x 6970

Same crap performance, same crap slowdowns, whatever setting I use. Clean after a format

Oh yeah, it must be my pc, or the great amount of programs or other crap I have installed.

Upvote 0