• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

S&D mod team...who is interested?

Heinz said:
Hmmm....smaller maps with short rounds and a S/D format. where have I seen that before. sounds awful.

how do tanks fit into SD? they don't? ugh, double awful.

So with other Words it ain't your taste, it ain't mine too, but there are people liking it, and if they want to pay for a Server with S&D Maps it ain't none of my business :).

And yes other Games had it, and other Games had reinforced S&D, but there ain't a Game with it AND realistic Weapons and Stuff...

And here again i like to recommend: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

You don't have to like it, but you don't have to flame bait too :).

Upvote 0
I think it would be best to have it to where the standard satchel already in the game destroys the objective. It is more realistic that way; you have to defend the sapper or pick up his satchel when he gets killed. I don't like the idea of having everyone be able to destroy it. Maybe make it to where the sapper can only throw the satchels while in a certain area so that someone trying to ruin the game can't just throw them around and waste them so you cant win.

I am not a mapper or a programmer, but couldn't you make maps that only have objectives like the ones on Rokowice that have to be destroyed with the satchels?(The German 88's) That seems like it would be the easiest way, and wouldn't really take any modding since its already there.

Tanks would be a no-no.

Upvote 0
Witzig said:
Defuse ? Defuse is unrealistic :)

Well though that is a thing one has to decide upon if one wants to include it, considering the Difficulty in Ostfront to break through a profer Defense it would be okay to have a undefuseable Satchel. But thats just my opinion, it would depend upon the Layout of the Map.

Though one first should sperate Objectives which can get blown up only by a select Amount of Sturmpioniere/Sapers or Objectives where everyone has a Bomb to blow up the Objective.

I don't know what kind of S&D Gameplay Dirty had in his mind.[/quote

Although defuse is unrealistic they could grab the sacthel and chuck it off the obj sort of a suicide thing.

Upvote 0
One life per round makes it nearly impossible to play for people with long loadingtimes (Or atleast for the first round or 2). It's also pretty boring to a lot of people who are used to regular respawning.

Sticking with the normal respawning system allows for some really interesting map designs with multiple objectives that are linked. As soon as 2 linked objectives are destroyed you can move the spawnpoints towards the next linked pair etc.

A combination of capturing and destroying would be excellent. Like in Rakowice (the airfield??). I would try to make it so you need to hold the objective to be able to destroy it though. In Rakowice you can destroy the 88's and the ammo dump in the bunkers regardless of who holds the objective.
This takes away a lot of tactical gameplay as far as I'm concerned.

Objectives don't have to be the traditional 88 or ammo/fuel dump. It can also be a route towards the capture point. Instead of blowing up a wall, like in Kessel you clear the walls for a way in, you can blow up a structure to block a route.
Take arty and tank explosion out of the equation and only allow satchels for the destruction of objectives.
This allows the use of tanks and arty in a normal way without making the objectives too easy to destroy (doesn't sound really realistic, arty or a well placed HE from a tank could be able to do the job in RL, but for gameplay this would be great).

Upvote 0
It would be a tad weird that you have to stand ground for a while before your explosives have an effect on a target :)
Your idea crossed my mind when making the demolition objectives, but I immediately disregarded it as 'quite unlogical captian' :D

Also, using the normal demolition RO has (satchel) combined with respawn, all you can/have to do is design a meatgrinder in front of your objectives in order to have more then a 30 second game. That's not S&D gameplay, I would be sad to see the initiative go this way :)

Upvote 0
I can't contribute to the mod myself, but I really hope this mod will be made. Before I encountered RO I played mostly FPS games which had S&D gameplay style (mainly Mohaa, CoD, some CS).

If RO wouldn't be so realistic and if it would not deliver such a great immersion feeling for me, then I would still stick to games with S&D style.

Having S&D gameplay style in combination with suitable maps in RO, would be great. :)

Upvote 0
I think S&D style play would teach people to be a bit more carefull, less run & gun.

Keep in mind, though, that even two objectives comparable to current map sizes would be a bit large. Historically, it wasn't uncommon for a whole platoon to hold a single large city street or stretch of trench. So with only 16 ppl a side, two objectives is too much IMHO.

A good objective, for example, would be the attackers having to take out a single tank in an urban warfare setting - lets say an KV-1 which got a track shot off but still blocks a major street. Give the attackers enough room to manouver inside the houses and enough rubble in the streets, but don't give them any PzFausts.

This would be a realistic task for a force the size of roughly two squads.

Upvote 0
Wouldn't just longer respawns work great for search and destroy alike gameplay. Instead of 1 reinforcement wave. where you normally do everything in (in S&D). You now maybe get 1 or 2 more reinforcement waves. (like a 5 minute reinforcement time). A life would still be more valuable, but it will be alot different from most games that use the generic S&D. I don't think any games just use a long respawn times.

Upvote 0
Yes there would be MUCH joy in our clan for something like this, ecspecially with the tank objectives....S&D is huge in the community and with people FLOCKING off the COD2 servers and looking for new places to play what better way to bring people aboard that are used to playing S&D elsewhere...

If there is something that we can do to help this process we are more then willing to help out.

Upvote 0