• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Russian tank markings 1945?

I know that this may not help you Trendkill but from what I have found tactical markings for air recognition were used, especially from 1943-45. During the battles at Don and Kursk white geometric figures were painted on top of the turret or engine compartment. During the Berlin operation from April 24th of 1945, special markings were applied as white stripes on the top and side of the turret. It was done with the knowledge of the high command for recognition by Allied Air Force in the Eastern and Western Germany. From May 1st of 1945, white triangles painted on top of the turret were introduced.
On the sides of the turret and sometimes on the hull, patriotic or fund raiser signs were painted, such as:

"Za Rodinu" (For the Motherland)
"Za Stalina" (For Stalin)
"Lidice" (Revenge for the German massacre on civilians in Czech village of Lidice)

Seeing how Seelow Heights started just prior to April 24th I can not say for any certainty yea or nay to your question. Toss a coin I guess, the partice was in place, but exactly how air recognition was done during the battle will take some more research Guy. One book I can recomend is :

"Camouflage of the Tanks of the Red Army, 1930-1945."
by Maksim Kolomiyets & Ilya Moshchanskiy; translated by Stephen Sewell; published by Exprint Publications.

The book first appeared in Russian in 1999 and the newer English translation has not received the attention it so richly deserves due to very limited marketing. But if you can get a hold of this book it would answer all your questions. Forget the Steve Zolga books, they are not totally accurate imho. Good luck

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I need a simple yes or no from someone who knows....

№ 223. Директива Ставки Верховного Главнокомандования командующим войсками 1-го и 2-го Белорусских и 1-го Украинского фронтов об установлении опознавательных знаков и сигналов при встрече с войсками союзников

№ 11073 20 апреля 1945 г. 23.30

Ввиду возможной в ближайшее время встречи советских войск с англоамериканскими войсками, по соглашению с командованием союзных войск, установлены следующие знаки и сигналы для опознавания советских и англоамериканских войск:

1. Советские войска (пехота, танки, авиация) обозначают себя серией красных ракет.

Помимо ракет советские танки обозначаются одной белой полосой вокруг башни по ее середине и белым крестом на крышке башни. Полоса и крест должны быть шириной 25 см. Эти опознавательные знаки устанавливать не на всех танках, а только на головных, которые вероятнее всего первыми встретятся с английскими или американскими войсками.

Which in English means no. :) The order was issued at 20th of April, plus not all tanks were painted with white stripes, but only leading ones, which had most chances to meat up with English or US soldiers.

Upvote 0
As a matter of interest, the white cross on the top was also sometimes known as the "Berlin Cross": - http://ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2003/01/stuff_eng_turkalj_js2mchkz.htm

turkalj_js2mchkz_01.jpg

Upvote 0