• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rumor Mill

Rumor Mill

• Red Orchestra 2

Votes: 187 60.9%
  • A World War 1 Game

Votes: 21 6.8%
  • A Vietnam War Game

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • A game based on a revolutionary war (Chinese, south american, etc)

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • A game based on modern wars

Votes: 35 11.4%
  • A war game in a sci-fi universe

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Something Completely different (read:non of the above)

Votes: 30 9.8%

• Total voters
I can imagine World war 1 fighting game would benifit very well from UE 3.0

Imagine having artillery realisticly deforming the landscape?

You running towards an enemy trench, a shell vaporizes your friend, you jump in the crater and start shooting at an enemy MG.

And what about tank warfare?

GermanphotowithEnglishTank.jpg

Poison gas shells?

Having bullets pierce through soil would be really cool.

WW1 was one of the terrifying wars a person could have been involved in over the last 100 years, and seeing it in glorious UE 3 would be cool.

However, there are a number of drawbacks to the WW1 idea.

Limited weapons (most people had rifles), Machine guns and artillery took up a massive proportion of total kills.

So maybe TWI won't do WW1, but im sure it would make an interesting mod.

I've heard alot of interesting stories about the Chinese revolutionary war.

But please, please, PLEASE dont just do RO2.

A game developer as innovative as TWI cant afford to play it safe. Push the borders of what people expect, dont just stay in the safe WW2 niche, yeah, you might get more sales, piss off a few of the WW2 enthusiasts, but RO is great because it does things no other shooter does.

This post is a bit broken but i cant be bothered to piece it together.

Upvote 0
I'd like some war thats not covered much. ww1 was mostly a stalemate from what i know don't know if that could be fun. Thesame with the american civil war etc. The Finnwar could be fun. Or a fictual war of some era whatever. I just hope that it doesn't become too modern i don't like extreme modern warfare. In gaming sence.

I'd love some game with melee as a main part of fighting (maybe with some slowass bayonets to go with it). Medievil times would be seriously awesome. :p

Anyway i think it will still have something to do with historical knowledge expertise of alan. Don't know how broad that is though.

Upvote 0
I find it surprising that a lot of people in this thread would even mention wanting a sci-fi game from Tripwire, regardless of whether it's "realistic" or not.

RO is about realism on multiple levels. Let me break it down
Things that were real at the time and are real today include: Locations, Weapons, Equipment, Vehicles

Sci-Fi shooters, on the other hand, don't offer us these multiple levels of realism:
Things that are not real today, nor in the past, and won't be seen in warfare within the next 10 years: Locations, Weapons, Equipment, Vehicles

Simple enough?

Red Orchestra is about real-life locations and immersing yourself in real battles that have taken place.

If I'm going to play a realistic game like Red Orchestra in the future, I would expect it to be realistic in the sense that it has taken place in the past or is currently taking place now.

If I want to play a Sci-Fi game, I'll play Half-Life 2.
If I want to play an arcadey war sim, I'll play Battlefield 2.
If I want to play a Sci-Fi arcadey war sim, I'll play Battlefield 2142.

If I want to play a realistic First Person Shooter, I'll play Red Orchestra, therefore, I hope Tripwire's next game meets my criteria for a realistc game (which I underlined).

Upvote 0
I find it surprising that a lot of people in this thread would even mention wanting a sci-fi game from Tripwire, regardless of whether it's "realistic" or not.

RO is about realism on multiple levels. Let me break it down
Things that were real at the time and are real today include: Locations, Weapons, Equipment, Vehicles

Sci-Fi shooters, on the other hand, don't offer us these multiple levels of realism:
Things that are not real today, nor in the past, and won't be seen in warfare within the next 10 years: Locations, Weapons, Equipment, Vehicles

Simple enough?

Red Orchestra is about real-life locations and immersing yourself in real battles that have taken place.

If I'm going to play a realistic game like Red Orchestra in the future, I would expect it to be realistic in the sense that it has taken place in the past or is currently taking place now.

If I want to play a realistic First Person Shooter, I'll play Red Orchestra, therefore, I hope Tripwire's next game meets my criteria for a realistc game (which I underlined).
That's some pretty bad logic you've got there.

Upvote 0
Instead of faulting your logic, I will simply provide a counterargument, quoted.
Are you being purposely thick?

edit: A realistic sci-fi shooter makes plenty of sense. Realism is defined in the lack of crosshairs, most pointedly, along with a variety of other gameplay features that immerse the player. I see no reason why a game with a sci-fi setting cannot benefit from realism. Not all sci-fi is lasers and energy shields and jetpacks, and, even still, it wouldn't be too far-fetched to maintain a semblance of realism therein. Surely laser guns (and other futuristic weapons) have iron sights/scopes? Surely the various factors formative of RO's defining realism can be juxtaposed onto another game, regardless of setting?

I see no correlation between "realism" and "fiction." They are most certainly not mutually exclusive terms.
Realism can be speculative.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see a Vietnam game or a WWII in the Pacific or a WWI game.

Vietcong doesn't look good at all from what I've seen.

To have a realistic Vietnam game you'd have to have way more than shooting and planned tactics. In Vietnam it wasn't find, fix, flank anymore. The gooks were going hit and run.

Let's look at the militaric side of 'Nam. Squads had a riflemen out in front, who either the alerted the rest of the squad of oncoming danger or enemys or got killed first by the booby traps. Then back a little was a rifleman, squad leader, machine gunner and the rear rifleman. No more of the fire and maneuver team in 'Nam, the jungle was just too dense for that. It's pretty hard already to get a makeshift squad in Red Orchestra, it'll be hella harder to model the 'Nam type of sqaud. Then, the Vietcong knew their way around. They knew how to hide in villages and not get spotted by patrols, and retake the same piece of land iover and over after the Americans repeatedly try to retake it. Jungles were dense, thick, and horrible. The fear of malaria, leeches, booby traps, ambushes, it's hell man. Huey's need to modelled as well. Vietnam iosn't complete without Vietnam, and there needs to be an easy, but realistic way, to fly a Huey to ferry troops without using a joystick.

Now let's look at the other side of 'Nam. The horrifying side that would give you scars for the rest of your life. The first and foremost of these is the civilians. You never knew who was and wasn't Vietcong, and lot's of innocent people died in the search of Vietcong. People were killed for the simple crime of fear. You can't model civilians into games. You can't expect mister average player to want to sit around as a Vietnamese farmer. Second is the booby traps. They were everywhere, man, EVERYWHERE! Claymore, bouncing bettys, anti-personell mines, tripwires, punji sticks, and other assortments of makeshift traps. You could find a civialian who made a rifle out of a tube and some gun powder. Strategic hamlets were another problem. You'd fight over it over and over again, and never get the Vietcong. Patrols of these hamlets were shocking, and horrifying. The killing of innocent lives mingled with rape, torture and fear. Fear of death was one thing in 'Nam. The gooks would find the most horrible way of killing you, and if you were lucky, they'd just shoot you.

The only way it would in any way be similiar to RO is if it solely concentrated on the NVA forces and/or urban fighting liek the Tet Offensive, or direct conflicts in large scale battles like the Ia Drang valley. It'd just be too hard for TWI.

I'd like to see the pacific, because it's the RO gameplay mechanics in a Vietnam-esque environment.

Upvote 0
What if I want a realistic Warhammer 40k style FPS shooter? D:

I would so fangasm if Tripwire worked their magic on a 40K shooter. The last effort, Firewarrior, was a disappointment to say the least.

The only problem with doing 40K is that there are so many and such disparate forces, ranging from the flashlight and T-shirt Guardsmen to Chaos Terminators. Who do you choose? How do you balance out the game so one side simply doesn't own completely?

Not that it can't be done, but it would take a hella lot of hard work to make it work.

Still.......BY THE LIGHT OF THE EMPEROR AND FOR THE BLOOD OF SANGUINIUS! CHARGE!

You know what? Tripwire should try and wrest the BattleTech licenses out of Microsofts greasy hands and make that franchise into a proper mech sim again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally, I've been infactuated with space games since early childhood, and am hoping that tripwire is working on something of that genre. Ever since I played Freespace 2 and watched Battlestar Gallactica, I've imagined a game of epic proportions that could contain as much or as little realism and challange. Comanding a space battleship from the bridge ala Silent Hunter 3 or flying an interceptor with the level of sophistication of Lock On aircraft would be unbelievably awesome. Afterall, what can be better than saving the human race while watching 40 flak batteries annihilate enemy incoming fighters armed with deadly weaponry and newtonian physics?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

But those are all awful games.

Whilst I do hope that TW continue with the great work they've done on RO. I would like to see a good "realistic (i.e I dont have to shoot someone with half a clip in order to kill them)" sci-fi fps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Given that the TW team has some WW2 history and weps wonks at fairly high levels in its organisation there would either have to be some major structural changes in the team before going on a radically different path or some rather funky retooling of staff skillsets...

<Ramm_Jaeger> OK, Alan, I'm going to need penetration figures for Cylon light weapons against a colonial Viper

<Wilsonam> By your command

:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0