• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rumor Mill

Rumor Mill

• Red Orchestra 2

Votes: 187 60.9%
  • A World War 1 Game

Votes: 21 6.8%
  • A Vietnam War Game

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • A game based on a revolutionary war (Chinese, south american, etc)

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • A game based on modern wars

Votes: 35 11.4%
  • A war game in a sci-fi universe

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Something Completely different (read:non of the above)

Votes: 30 9.8%

• Total voters
I think I know what they'll do...

Clowncarmageddon!

Think about it. Set in an alternative future, in a post apocalyptic world torn apart by the second world war. Society has collapsed, leaving only remnants of lost technology and countless zombies spawned from a desperate nazi secret project during the great war. The survivors must race each other in their souped up BA-64's to survive.

I think Tripwire are onto a winning here.

Upvote 0
*OT*
Bog standard unsophisticated run & gun FPS action with typical run of the mill adventures, dictated linear combat with useless weapons, poor AI (inc npc), tacked on overly vague non-event story that goes nowhere, insulting "childs play" gameplay, short playtime, frequent and long load times (at least upon release - on an adequate system) and featuring none of the cool stuff valve bragged about it having for a year apart from the "cool" physics, of which only really features in the first 30 minutes or so of play. Shine wears off after about an hour and you wake up and smell the fact you've been had by purdy gfx *BY REQUEST OF SVEDBERG* which tbh are a bit flat, and exploding barrels. That is of course if you look for more in a game.

Critically acclaimed just because it's the sequel to HL, and because everyone was so glad it finally ******* came out after being delayed to buggery. Offers NOTHING new on the FPS genre or HL itself apart from a few physics puzzles and some nice animations and textures.

(feel free to dig up the 600mb 30 odd min HL2 presentation from E3 of 2003 to see why I'm so bitter.
http://www.fileplanet.com/123983/120000/fileinfo/Exclusive-Half-Life-2-Gameplay-Video-[Updated]
In case you can't find anywhere that still has it up)

The best thing about HL2 that involves the HL universe is Minerva.
http://www.hylobatidae.org/minerva/index.shtml

*OT*

Why are you bitter from a random gameplay video from E3 in 2003? Did you even play the game? How far into it did you get?

I've never met anyone who played HL2 and didn't think it was an awesome FPS.

Upvote 0
What about Alternate history / reality WWII game

What about Alternate history / reality WWII game

I would like to see an alternate history WWII game. By alternate history, I mean a game that would reflect a different outcome to certain phases of the war. Scenarios could include the following:
  1. A German invasion of Britian (Sea Lion) due to a German victory during the Battle of Britian.
  2. A protracted Eastern Front due to failure of D-Day. This could include the flexibilty to develop new weapons. Think all troops on both sides having Assault rifles
  3. A US/UK war with the Soviets post '45 after German defeat (General Patton, Churchill, and Stalin were all said to beleive this was inevitable)
  4. A US invasion of Japan
  5. A Japanese invasion of the North America west coast.
  6. A German drive to the middle east after Russian conquest
The possibilties are endless........

Upvote 0
*OT*
I've played through HL2 twice. Once when it first came out, and once a couple of months later to check I wasn't just being funny (I did the same thing with Doom 3, which actually came out on top because it didn't make itself out to be something it wasn't)

I fail to see what is so good about it, and to be quite honest no one can explain to me either because they say things vague things like "Awesome gameplay" and "Amazing story" or "It's an amazing experience".

The fact is HL2 is short. My first runthrough took about 7 hours. I seem to remember Republic Commando getting abused in reviews for being that short. And yet. No mention of it in HL2's "Rave reviews".

HL2 is EXTREMELY linear. The combat is heavily dictated and the weapons unbelievable. I.e None of the weapons are useful at range (or barely useful at close range), they are all extremely inaccurate. That is of course apart from the crossbow and the magnum pistol. But you can only carry 12 rounds for each. This draws you into extremely close combat. A method used to hide the fact that the AI is practically retarded.
I'm not even going to compare the AI of HL1 to HL2 because it would be like comparing a quad-core 64 bit cpu to a 486.

One of the things that made me angry was the situation with snipers. You couldn't actually snipe a sniper using your scoped crossbow, you had to get close and throw a grenade it, so you could watch the "cool" physics and the man fall out of the window. There is NO CHOICE in the combat. Flat. Linear. Boring.
(Actually makes there little or no point in having a scoped weapon, given that all the combat is done over close ranges. Oh wait, I'm mistaken. The bow is in it because it was in HL1, and because the physics are funny when you kill someone with it)

The grenades for example, were another thing. Grenades. With little red lights. And clicks. In case your stupid arse didn't notice the fact one was thrown in the first place, it was made ridiculously clear that one was near.
Who in their right mind would design a grenade that made it clear to the enemy one was near? Why wouldn't you just make the grenade talk, and say "WARNING - GRENADE - MOVE YOUR STUPID FACE"

How exactly do you expect me to believe that someone conquered earth using weapons of this caliber? Or was the reason that they managed to win because whenever they got in a tricky situation there was a handy infinite crate of whatever weaponry they needed in order to get past their objective? (Another example of a linear game - only 1 way past something, no workarounds, no alternatives)

Valve obviously started to use the physics at the start with all the puzzles etc, but for some reason decided to drop the idea and just use it as a gimmick for the rest of the game.

The reason I'm bitter about the "random gameplay video" is because it did not make out that it would be a linear braindead yawn. The enemy and NPC AI in that video alone is enough to piss me off given how retarded they actually are "These aren't scripted actions" says valve, oh really. Did you accidentally flush your AI programming down the toilet? Is that why you delayed the game so long?
Why was Ravenholm changed so that it featured NO combine soldiers at all? Where are the "cool" traps? I see a couple of those rotor blade things and some cars suspended on chains.
It was a tacked on "scary bit".

Yes, the graphics are nice. The textures and animations are very good. The geometry is a bit flat, but you kind of don't mind given the quality of the other things. In case you don't remember, HL2 had extremely frequent load/save periods. I had an adequate system at the time and was still left waiting for over a minute for load times. Even the main menu took a couple of minutes to load. (Don't you dare go "Was your computer ok? Try a defrag/reinstall?" or I will come and hurt you)

Everyone always goes on about character interaction as well. Yes, the animations are nice, yes the characters are well animated. But there is ZERO interaction with you. You have no voice. You just stand there are watch. Since when did that count as interaction? Perhaps valve could have had the testicles to give Gordon Freeman a voice and have him interact with these well animated well modelled NPC's.

Don't even get me started on the story. There isn't one. It's like the Lost of the PC Game world. "OMG, we've got this world, it's been conquered by these guys, and there's this guy in charge...and...and...nevermind that'll do for now. Everyone will be too busy looking at the purdy graphics or messing with the physics to consider the fact that we don't really have one"

Fact is HL2 is a shadow of how good HL1 was. Just like Unreal 2 is a shadow of Unreal 1, and Deus Ex 2 is an insult to Deus Ex 1.

I've played plenty of fps games since HL2 came out tbh I probably enjoyed them more. (I can't even be bothered to dig through my collection to list them for you) Half life 2 was supposed to be something special, something revolutionary, something worth the extremely long wait.
In reality it was a sad, short, insulting fps with some nice gimmicks and some nostalgic things from HL1 to keep you interested.

It bothers me that so much of the gaming press, and so many gamers gave it such high scores (same as Doom3).

Of the big fps releases of the time, we had Doom 3, HL2, and FarCry. And Far-Cry was easily the best.
There are plenty of better fps games than HL2, from NOLF2 to Clive Barkers Undying.

I strongly suggest you play HL1, and see what HL2 is supposed to be better than.

*OT*

Last edited:
Upvote 0
EA games make up the majority of game sales. Does that mean TWI should start making sports games? No.

Tripwire are good because they do something different. All games are really popular because they did something different, but people are scared of change and dont want to see innovation, so they would rather see the same tired sequels than something new and fresh. Eventually those franchises get stale and they are not remembered well.

Many game series "jump the shark" because they are too scared to move onto a different idea and just keep pumping out the same stuff.

Yes RO2 would be easier to make, yes RO2 would satisfy the eastern front nuts, but i would rather see a new game than just RO with better graphics and some new features.

it is a known fact that they are not making RO2, i hope you don't mean that you think the WW2 theme is completely finished and that there can be no innovations anymore??
Believe me, RO as realistic and innovating as it is, is only the tip of the iceberg in what still can be invented.
offcourse, if they would make RO2 like activision made COD3 then that would be the death for RO.
but they are NOT making RO2, so we can only hope they are working on a brand new innovating revolutionary never seen-before groundshaking mind blowing super amazing barrier breaking pants-wetting WW2 FPS!!

If not, then i will personally start WW3

Upvote 0
it is a known fact that they are not making RO2, i hope you don't mean that you think the WW2 theme is completely finished and that there can be no innovations anymore??
Believe me, RO as realistic and innovating as it is, is only the tip of the iceberg in what still can be invented.
offcourse, if they would make RO2 like activision made COD3 then that would be the death for RO.
but they are NOT making RO2, so we can only hope they are working on a brand new innovating revolutionary never seen-before groundshaking mind blowing super amazing barrier breaking pants-wetting WW2 FPS!!
Where are you getting your 'facts' from?

Upvote 0
With all this unfriendly-ness and bickering and fighting I want a WWI game and that's it. World war one, world war one, world war one, world war one, world war one.....

Why do we want this sci-fi crap anyway? If TWI turned to sci-fi I'd leave. If they'd turn to alternate history, or post apocalyptic wars, or aliens or eating cheese with a spork I'd leave. Now stop fighting.

Upvote 0