• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS2 Vietnam

Cyper

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2011
Sweden
Hello,

Long time no seen.

I wonder what kind of changes there will be in RS: Vietnam compared to RO2?

I have not played RO2 since 2011. This is because I found the game to be to far away from RO OST in terms of gameplay, and therefore, I did not find it fun to play. Will RS:Vietnam be closer to the original game, or more like RO2? What have changed over the years in terms of gameplay mechanics? Will there be any updates to classic mode, will there only be one mode all together..? I am asking because I have absolutely no idea because I have been off for quite a time. I am just wating for something similar to RO1/DH to be released in the future.

Last edited:
Have to say you missed a lot, moreover all of the info can be known from the news. RS2 will have one game mode and no, as John have said, any game in the future wont be RO1 reborn. And what do you mean original game? Original game is a Rising Storm. So yeah, instead of making a list out here, better read all the news on the forum.

Upvote 0
NorthDumpling;n2270052 said:
Have to say you missed a lot, moreover all of the info can be known from the news. RS2 will have one game mode and no, as John have said, any game in the future wont be RO1 reborn. And what do you mean original game? Original game is a Rising Storm. So yeah, instead of making a list out here, better read all the news on the forum.

One game mode sounds wise.

I am not looking for ''RO1 reborn''. I am looking for a spiritual sequel, which has more or less the same features, style, and source material as RO1 and RO OST.

I perceived that RO2 was not such a game. However, this should not be misinterpreted as everything in RO2 was bad; on the contrary many there was many things that was sensible but unfortunately much of the old material and style of gameplay was either removed or completely changed in order to make the game more accessible and streamlined.

For example, historical authenticity was rejected for unlocks. The tempo of the game increased, which made the game less tactical and more action-oriented. Many new HUD elements added at the expense of the game became easier. The maps were more detailed, but much smaller, which was probably developed in order to make the maps suitable for the action-orianted gameplay. In return, it restricted freedom, and ultimately that vehicles were rejected because the maps were so small.

Then there's the small details, everything from a console-like command radial replaced the more complex menu of RO OST, bayonet disappeared, and the character screamed automatically (which meant that one's position is automatically also was eliminated). Spawn on squad leader was added to make the game easier and more forgiving, and the mechanics that made the screen go grey if you went into enemy spawnpoints.

KomradeTuniska;n2270053 said:
The best way to summarise what have been showed about RS2 is to watch their PAX West Streaming.
​​​​​They explain thenew gameplay which pretty much looks like the original RO.

OK, where can I watch it?

Reactions: Unus Offa Unus Nex
Upvote 0
Cyper;n2270068 said:
One game mode sounds wise.

I am not looking for ''RO1 reborn''. I am looking for a spiritual sequel, which has more or less the same features, style, and source material as RO1 and RO OST.

I perceived that RO2 was not such a game. However, this should not be misinterpreted as everything in RO2 was bad; on the contrary many there was many things that was sensible but unfortunately much of the old material and style of gameplay was either removed or completely changed in order to make the game more accessible and streamlined.

For example, historical authenticity was rejected for unlocks. The tempo of the game increased, which made the game less tactical and more action-oriented. Many new HUD elements added at the expense of the game became easier. The maps were more detailed, but much smaller, which was probably developed in order to make the maps suitable for the action-orianted gameplay. In return, it restricted freedom, and ultimately that vehicles were rejected because the maps were so small.

Then there's the small details, everything from a console-like command radial replaced the more complex menu of RO OST, bayonet disappeared, and the character screamed automatically (which meant that one's position is automatically also was eliminated). Spawn on squad leader was added to make the game easier and more forgiving, and the mechanics that made the screen go grey if you went into enemy spawnpoints.

OK, where can I watch it?

I have to agree with you a good part of the way. Infact the apart from overall weapons handling and cover system, I didn't find RO2 an improvement over RO:Ost or DH, rather the opposite. Hopefully however TWI will make a worthy successor to RO:Ost sometime in the future, if not it would be a real shame. That having been said the people behind Darkest Hour are in the works with a game promising similar gameplay with improved physics and graphics (Festung Europa), but when it will be released is a mystery.

Upvote 0
I'm not going to reiterate all the stuff that we've been posting and/or saying in interviews over the last 9 months, but suffice to say that RS2 will sit somewhere between RO1 and RO2 on the realism/feature scale. As mentioned, we won't ever be doing another "just like RO1" game - a lot of that stuff changed for good reason, it's now 2016 after all, and improved accessibility is mandatory for a game to succeed on a large scale.

I can't tell you one way or another if you'll actually like this game. Best I can tell you is that a lot of the things you've listed as grievances there are either already addressed, or have become individual user preferences. If you have specific questions about features/functionality, you're welcome to ask and we'll answer honestly, but be aware that there's not a lot that hasn't been asked and answered already, elsewhere on these forums.

Upvote 0
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN;n2270117 said:
If you have specific questions about features/functionality, you're welcome to ask and we'll answer honestly,
i have one
so the magazine/ammo check function got an update -an optional icon version of it,which i really like :).(i would like to see more of it,maybe in a quick short webm?!)
my questions is,will/did the bleeding /MG gunner resupply mechanics also get an update? maybe with an optional icon version of it?

Upvote 0
MG Resupply mechanics haven't changed, but bleeding has.

Previously bleeding would happen on the majority of hits and basically worked by halving the damage you _would_ have taken from the bullet, applying half instantly, and the second half over a period of something like 4-8 seconds unless you bandaged immediately. Bleeding still operates that way with regard to halving the damage, however you will now only bleed if the full damage would result in death, otherwise you take the full damage and don't bleed.

Also, when bleeding you now bleed for 10/20/30 seconds depending on bleeding speed and you cannot bleed out any faster than that, so no more instances of "you are bleeding" only to die one second later because you only had 2 health left to bleed out. Now, bleeding out actually takes some time, which means you don't have to instantly stop in the middle of the street and bandage to prevent instant death, only to be easily sniped by the guy who wounded you in the first place. You're free to finish your firefight or disengage and get to safety before bandaging. You can tell how far gone you are, as the screen fades out as you bleed out, then unfades as you bandage. And lastly, bandaging now takes 2-3x as long as it used to.

So basically, bleeding is no longer something that happens hundreds of times per minute in each battle and bandaging no longer has to be done instantly to survive, but it's a slower and more deliberate process.

Reactions: -Moody-
Upvote 0
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN;n2270148 said:
So basically, bleeding is no longer something that happens hundreds of times per minute in each battle and bandaging no longer has to be done instantly to survive, but it's a slower and more deliberate process.
Woah! :eek: This sounds so great! Is there anything done to make bandaging a little more satisfying like adding a simple animation or preventing the screen movement in many instances when pressing it?

Upvote 0
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN;n2270148 said:
MG Resupply mechanics haven't changed, but bleeding has.

Previously bleeding would happen on the majority of hits and basically worked by halving the damage you _would_ have taken from the bullet, applying half instantly, and the second half over a period of something like 4-8 seconds unless you bandaged immediately. Bleeding still operates that way with regard to halving the damage, however you will now only bleed if the full damage would result in death, otherwise you take the full damage and don't bleed.

Also, when bleeding you now bleed for 10/20/30 seconds depending on bleeding speed and you cannot bleed out any faster than that, so no more instances of "you are bleeding" only to die one second later because you only had 2 health left to bleed out. Now, bleeding out actually takes some time, which means you don't have to instantly stop in the middle of the street and bandage to prevent instant death, only to be easily sniped by the guy who wounded you in the first place. You're free to finish your firefight or disengage and get to safety before bandaging. You can tell how far gone you are, as the screen fades out as you bleed out, then unfades as you bandage. And lastly, bandaging now takes 2-3x as long as it used to.

Definitely like the sound of those changes. What are the damage values like on the AK and M16 in the game? IIRC the Mkb in RO2 did about 70 damage which equated to anywhere between 1-3 hits to take down an opponent depending on hit placement. With the changes to the bleeding system, and taking full damage from non-fatal hits instead of bleeding mean those weapons are more reliably 1-2 hit kills in comparison?

Upvote 0
Bleeding notifications are still text, but they're a little larger, and bright red to make sure you don't miss it. We find that tiny icons or even large white text don't get noticed in the heat of battle.

As far as damage values are concerned, I can't answer that yet. We're still tweaking the numbers, because we also changed the way damage is calculated so the base numbers look very different and won't give you any true indication of actual damage dealt (but might cause some misquotes and misplaced outrage). Suffice to say that the AK and M16 will reliably kill in 1-2 hits provided you're not hitting someone's hand. :)

Upvote 0
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN;n2270196 said:
Bleeding notifications are still text, but they're a little larger, and bright red to make sure you don't miss it. We find that tiny icons or even large white text don't get noticed in the heat of battle.

As far as damage values are concerned, I can't answer that yet. We're still tweaking the numbers, because we also changed the way damage is calculated so the base numbers look very different and won't give you any true indication of actual damage dealt (but might cause some misquotes and misplaced outrage). Suffice to say that the AK and M16 will reliably kill in 1-2 hits provided you're not hitting someone's hand. :)
Fair enough, sounds good.

Upvote 0
Bleeding notifications are still text, but they're a little larger, and bright red to make sure you don't miss it.
wait? how large and how red? like this? : http://imgur.com/FRp1Yul

if yes ,..No God, Please No! :( man,you will have a beautiful game ,so dont hide it behind some text.

We find that tiny icons or even large white text don't get noticed in the heat of battle.
good! let them bleed out and die...:p,they will stumble,they will fall but in time,they will join us in the sun!

no seriously,how about a (optional) flashing/pulsating icon then? somethig like this!?: http://imgur.com/a/c1wge

Spoiler!

also,lets move this "bleeding icon"discussion here:http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...nstead-of-text

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Will damage dealt by AK or M16 be similar to Mkb from RO2? So you will be able to kill an enemy with 1 bullet in the chest without hitting vital organs from AK or M16?

Upvote 0
No Utek, that red message still appears, but for other things. Bleeding has it's own message, still red, but smaller and less wordy. We find it works pretty well without filling half the screen in the process.

AK and M16 damage will sometimes kill in a single shot to the chest, sometimes won't. As I said before, we calculate damage differently now, so it's not really possible for us to say X is comparable to Y from RO2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I once killed an enemy with 3 shots from Svt-40, when I hit him in upper body, but bullets only scraped his torso. So yeah, the damage system in RO is pretty nice and not binary like in other games. I'm also glad with 1-2 shots in chest from AK or M16 because it's similar to what we have in RO2 with Mkb. It's nice to play a game in which every bullet counts.

Upvote 0