• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [RS2] Tessellation Culling

Cron Daemour

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 13, 2017
Hi first post.

First map. it's huge, a heli map.

problem is fps obviously

been learning from nymets vids, thanks mate.

spotted your comment on CullingDistance volume, that i have optimised ang gained about 4fps.

More importantly i dropped the tessellation on my map and gained about 12fps, happy to do this one step but i feel i could gain way more if i could do what i imagine is possible, and that is to have a sandwich of terrain layers of varying tessellation, preserving it where needed, keeping it intermediate in some areas and dropping tesselation way down on flat areas such as rice paddies.

I have discovered the "visibility" tool in terrainedit and can cull where i want. the struggle im having is to make copies of my map, overlaying it on my current maps and then having the terrains make up the dead space in my visibility holes.

does this make sense?
i currently can copy paste my terrain but when i edit one terrain layer it eats through the other one too... and when i lock one it locks both.