• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rounds are stupid

Rounds are stupid

• Total voters
That is, for example on Grain Elevator have it be randomly determined which side is attacking and defending for the match. Let Axis defend the elevator sometimes. That would lend some variety to maps and mix up the "oh no, not this map, Axis always wins!" phenomena.
Or... if an attacking team wins a round, it's them who will be defending the objective in the next round.

Reactions: Golf33 and Destraex
Upvote 0
Neither do I. One hour isn't really that much. 20 minutes feels like a quickmatch in COD unless there's several rounds. 2-3 hours is good for one match.

I have to disagree with you on that one.

I've played COD before, and most games were barely longer than 5 minutes. 15 minutes at maximum. Which I feel is too short.

Battlefield takes about 8 to 12 minutes on average(on 300 ticket servers), which I feel is too short.

Yet ARMA kind of has 2 to 3 hours for a good match. Which I think is way too long.

I really don't have 6 hours a day to play games. I get to play 1 to 3 hours per day at maximum, with exception of the weekends. During that time, I usually like to play 1 or 2 games.

If it takes 2 to 3 hours to complete one match, then I can promise you that not many adult gamers will ever be able to finish a match. I really hate having to play a game for longer than I want to just to finish the round so my progress and such gets saved.

Yet if they allow you to quit at any time, then you will see ragequitters and a lack of team balance being a huge issue.

In the end you want matches to be around 20 to 30 minutes, maybe 40 minutes for some games. But there really isn't much reason to make rounds last beyond that point.
People need to rest as well, playing for 2 to 3 hours in a row without drinking is not healthy at all.

Reactions: Golf33
Upvote 0
Back in the mod days, Battle For Europe had a teamswitch mutator that swapped the sides over. There was absolutely NO impact on teamwork because everyone switched at the same time - so you are still with the same teammates.

I'd be perfectly happy to swap sides each round. I'd also like to see the auto-select come back.

Levelling is a bad influence here, because it influences people to consistently play the same team / class / weapon in order to advance faster.

Upvote 0
Back in the mod days, Battle For Europe had a teamswitch mutator that swapped the sides over. There was absolutely NO impact on teamwork because everyone switched at the same time - so you are still with the same teammates.

I'd be perfectly happy to swap sides each round. I'd also like to see the auto-select come back.

Levelling is a bad influence here, because it influences people to consistently play the same team / class / weapon in order to advance faster.

You might be still with the same teammates, but it will affect something because the other side of a map is a fresh perspective and a completely fresh set of tactics tailored to fighting from that side would be required, so while in the abstract the desire to play as a team and tactical principles in general may not be negatively affected, the actual progression of map-influenced tactical effort made possible by playing on the same side of the map for a couple to a few rounds undoubtedly would be. There would be no, for example "guys, did you see what happened last round? we didn't maintain Delta as an overwatch position and we got raped trying to get Charlie. Let's try to get a fireteam to keep that red building and use it to suppress their approach to Charlie." RO2 maps definitely play quite different depending on which side of the map you are on, and sides switching erases the satisfaction of a match-long learning curve. No thanks.

About leveling I'm not sure I get the point. It's like saying the repeat function on your music player contributes to boredom with music. When a completely elective behavior starts to have a negative effect, just change it (although having a short attention span might be another issue...)! Leveling is not a heroin addiction . The answer to getting bored with the same team, role and weapon is: change it up, you're perfectly free to do so! Now, if you happen to get bored with the rifleman class because that's all that's left to you most of the time, that's a different issue because it's not elective like power-leveling, it's a problem solvable only by occasional battlefield promotions or upgrading your PC/tweaking configs.

Upvote 0
Neither do I. One hour isn't really that much. 20 minutes feels like a quickmatch in COD unless there's several rounds. 2-3 hours is good for one match.

2-3 hours is way to long. COD matches i would say last an average of 10 minutes which is fine for CoD, but i think around 30 minutes is pretty good i would probally go as long as an hour if it was a good match but imagine getting facerolled for 2 hours not many people would endure that. hell even if i was winning sitting in one place for 2-3 hours with no break doesnt sound like fun.

as for the poll i am fine with rounds though i wouldnt mind them lasting a little longer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You might be still with the same teammates, but it will affect something because the other side of a map is a fresh perspective and a completely fresh set of tactics tailored to fighting from that side would be required, so while in the abstract the desire to play as a team and tactical principles in general may not be negatively affected, the actual progression of map-influenced tactical effort made possible by playing on the same side of the map for a couple to a few rounds undoubtedly would be.
Perhaps "no impact" was the wrong wording? There is an impact, but it's not a negative one. Teamwork does not consist solely of learning the map and playing the same moves over and over until you have them down cold. Teamwork is also learning and reacting to unexpected and unknown situations - like playing the other side of the map. That's a far tougher test of your teamwork.

It also allows you to see things more easily from the enemy perspective, would allow much better assessment of map balance and a greater variety of tactics.

About leveling I'm not sure I get the point. It's like saying the repeat function on your music player contributes to boredom with music. When a completely elective behavior starts to have a negative effect, just change it (although having a short attention span might be another issue...)! Leveling is not a heroin addiction . The answer to getting bored with the same team, role and weapon is: change it up, you're perfectly free to do so!
No, you haven't gotten the point I was trying to make :eek:. I'm speculating about why people might not want to change sides each round.

I tend to play the same class because I like playing that class. I used to do the same in RO:Ost and for that matter in RO:CA. If I was getting bored I'd do something different (or play another game, something I've been doing more of lately :().

However, I'm wondering if some of the resistance is being driven by the levelling system - because playing different classes / weapons will slow levelling down (and therefore slow down the flow of gameplay bonuses like reduced recoil and faster reloading).

Upvote 0
I can't reasonably argue that a certain match duration is "best", but what I meant to say in my post (or rather, failed to include) was that having rounds can negatively impact the immersion factor in this game as well. It feels weird when a round ends and then both teams regroup to their original positions and replay the same battle all over again.

Upvote 0