• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ROOST is fading...

Yeah, that guy was like a sports writer sent to review a production of Hamlet. just doesn't get it.

And as far as the game fading -- I think the comment about ROOsters being a more mature, casual crowd is pretty on-the-ball. I've got a humble little 20-slot that gets pretty good attendance, and is developing a crowd of regulars who are generally very cool, mature players. If drastically increasing RO's popularity means bringing over the unintelligent racist asshat masses... screw that. I'd rather let all the CS kiddies stick with their CS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
2Manny said:
Yeah, that guy was like a sports writer sent to review a production of Hamlet. just doesn't get it.

And as far as the game fading -- I think the comment about ROOsters being a more mature, casual crowd is pretty on-the-ball. I've got a humble little 20-slot that gets pretty good attendance, and is developing a crowd of regulars who are generally very cool, mature players. If drastically increasing RO's popularity means bringing over the unintelligent racist asshat masses... screw that. I'd rather let all the CS kiddies stick with their CS.

Kinda agree another thing i think we're not mentioning is the fact people coming from those run and gun fps try to play ro in the same or dont bother with objectives now obviously this game will get boring quickly if you play it like that. The best and most enjoyable way to play this game is to find a mature server with people working 2gether using voip and stick with that server then this game really shines. This is something our lone wolfing run and gun friends unfortunatly will never understand or want to do.

Upvote 0
Sounds like the reviewer gave the game only 5-10 minutes of gametime or something:rolleyes:
I think there are many more options and strategic play available to Ost players from the getgo than many other FPS'ers out there.
You're immediately offered the chance for strategic play, the classes are different enough to provide many solutions in as far as tactical play is concerened.
The maps seem to vary in size, some smaller and more CQB oriented while others with the tanks and such give the option of a more combined arms approach.

Don't know really what the sports comment meant either. RO isn't football or basketball or whatever.
The thing that gets old for me is how reviewers judge these games based on other games entirely.
The beauty or favorability of Ostfront or any game should lie on its own merits. Ostfront isn't dod, cod, moh, blah blah blah..

If you don't like Ostfront then go play something else. The game just came out for the masses really so give it a little time and learn it before slamming the door.
Geeeezzzzz!!:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Despite the bashing of the reviewer, I have to admit he makes some interesting conclusions.

Basicly he's saying RO is not the fast, action packed gameplay of for example Day of Defeat or Call of Duty but on the other hand its neither the very tactical simulation of for example Operation Flashpoint or WW2 online.

Personally, I have this same feeling lots of times when I play RO. What 'style' to us. The 'deadmatch rusher' or the 'careful camper'. Both dont work. The rusher dies instantly, but will be able to capture objectives. The camper stays alive, but doesnt help much capturing objectives.

This is also reflected in these forums: I see topics 'people need to attack more', 'people need to be more aggressive' but on the other hand there are the 'n00b smgers', 'try to stay alive' threads.

Either way, RO is stuck between the two and maybe people just dont like this uncertainty.

Upvote 0
I pretty much agree with everything he said. RO tries to pull out a tank simulation out of a shooter engine and it doesn't quite work. The infantry combat is a lot better but still lacks the intensity some other recent FPS have due to the 32 player limit, the big maps and their layout. The combined arms maps are too empty even when there's 32 players on it and also are kind of uncomfortable to play as an infantryman making them basically tank maps. Out of the 13 maps only about three are really working... resulting in pretty small longevity.

The game has really great ingredients, yet it tries to be too much and in the end does none of it perfect. In German you'd say it's "weder Fisch noch Fleisch", neither fish nor meat. I think some basic things need to be changed: It needs more focus, the whole gameplay needs to be more straight-forward. I don't know how to say it, but the "framework" needs to be overhauled. Piron also made some very good points. The game is really stuck in between action and simulation play but not in a way where I'd say "you can do both" but rather "you can't do either". Oh and the bugs and (even worse) the lag do their part of spoiling the fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I will say that some of your points are valid but we must also consider one other point "Is there another game like ROOst out there" and the simple answer is "No".
Yes it is a combination of different genres without being a copy of any.
It is a very unique game in its gameplay and this does make it worthy of comparasion to some of the games released by far bigger companies with greater resources.
And all made possible by a fervant group of modders who went that extra step.

The biggest single advantage for me that Tripwire have over just about every other developer, is that they care so damn much about this game and the community they are forging.
I see replies in these forums all the time from TW Devs, where they take on Ideas put forward by there users and give feedback on how they may use it in the future.
I think the game itself will only get better as TW and RO fans get to grips with a new patch and an SDK release.
Unlike another WW2 fps I could name it won't take 6 months either...

Upvote 0
I've just read the whole review and I'm actually going to say his view is pretty accurate for tank maps (aka boring an uneventful driving around trying to find a tank, then angle and shoot a few times til one of you blows up).

He's right about it, RO (tank maps) are not as intense as any other game, they are slow and far from intense, he's not making things up so his opinion stands.

Seems he didn't give infantry maps a go where fighting can actually be enjoyably intense from time to time.

And he does have the right to compare it to CS/CoD for his review purposes as they are all in the same genre, multiplayer first person shooters, and technicaly ROO is in competition with any other game out there in the FPS genre.

Upvote 0
KrazyKraut said:
I think some basic things need to be changed: It needs more focus, the whole gameplay needs to be more straight-forward.

Focus is a important, some things let down ROO... as in most cases when you are selling things to the public presentation is very important(What RO-O has now in terms of menu/presentation is about right for a mod, not a retail product in todays market), RO has a ways to go with making it's self NOT look like UT2004, the map geomety (I remember even UT2003 had smoother surfaces on maps! like the Dm map from the demo even) and better less clunky menus and voice commands, a better chat system and one that doesen't fill messages to the player into the chat box (Ever stand near a radio when you are trying to read player chat?)

The reality of it is, to alot of people, graphics and presentation are just as important as realism, I used to think differently, but not anymore, I'd love to see RO-O reach a level where instead of selling a mod quality game based on the engine it actually has modified and customised the engine enough to warp it from UT looking into something unique and special to RO-O.

Upvote 0
I can handle the ambiguity of RO, actually I like it, otherwise I wouldnt be hanging around here. But to the general public, its not an easy task to get this 'sold'. Lots of people are seduced by the fps aspect, or the tank combat aspect, or the realism aspect, or ... but once they start playing they start to feel uncomfortable because its not 100% what they expected it to be.

Just an observation, not a judgement.

Upvote 0
RO is not fading. Knock it off.

It's only been out for a little more than a month. Let the new found community members settle in and gain some skills and you'll see the quality of the pub games improve. That sort of thing takes time.

The 'inconsistencies' people are citing is rooted in the way you're playing the game, imo. If you find that the tank battles are just 'roll around' 'angle' 'fire' ...then you're missing the bigger picture of how to use your team to win maps, and instead you are focusing on a singular aspect that, in a way, you're taking out of context in respect to the game as a whole.

Of course it isnt going to be 'intense' at all times. Whats that old saying.. 90% of war is waiting. With the right people, I think the game is plenty intense, and it offers all kinds of different roles to play depending on your mood or style of play.

Sure RO has some nagging bugs, and engine limitations... what game doesnt? For the price, the replayability, the community, the devs themselves and their involvement... you wont find much better out there, and I think we have it pretty good.

Personally, I still think this game, when played at a higher level, cant be compared to in a competetive environment.

If non-stop instant action... the kind where you dont have to think much.. is what you're looking for... keep looking.

To me the review, even though I feel the words are slightly negatively slanting, has a good point.... RO does succeed in that intermediate area between realism and gameplay, something this reviewer doesnt seem to care for... I couldnt ask for anything more, to be honest.

He seems to have come into this review with alot of preconceived notions, and expectations... comparing it the whole time to little facets of other games with what seems like about 10 minutes of play time, instead of digesting RO as a whole and spending a decent amount of time and effort into delving a bit deeper.

twocents7dw.gif

Upvote 0
REZ said:
RO is not fading. Knock it off.

It's only been out for a little more than a month. Let the new found community members settle in and gain some skills and you'll see the quality of the pub games improve. That sort of thing takes time.

The 'inconsistencies' people are citing is rooted in the way you're playing the game, imo. If you find that the tank battles are just 'roll around' 'angle' 'fire' ...then you're missing the bigger picture of how to use your team to win maps, and instead you are focusing on a singular aspect that, in a way, you're taking out of context in respect to the game as a whole.

Of course it isnt going to be 'intense' at all times. Whats that old saying.. 90% of war is waiting.
Except for this is still a game not war. I don't know how you guys come to the conclusion he wrote that review after 5 mins of playing, I don't think so at all. On the contrary: At first glance RO is the holy grail for everyone who looks for the "little more realistic WW2 FPS", but after a while you notice that it lacks something. To draw the conclusions he did you have to spend at least a week on the game and I'm certain he did.

And of course every game has engine limitations, but not every game bumps into those limitations all of the time. RO would be a lot smoother with an engine like Joint Ops or Battlefield 2 have. I know this is out of option but with a limited engine like that of UT they would've been better off not demanding something from their engine that it simply can't handle: giant tank maps with sophisticated ballistics and hit-detection. America's Army in a WW2 setting is what RO should probably look like.

I'm not saying that because I don't like the game or have no respect for the devs. They did an awesome job at stretching the engine limits, but in the end they can't turn this into a full scale simulation engine like OFP.

You guys also better be prepared for a surprise: When the retail comes to the stores in Europe THINGS WON'T CHANGE MUCH. The player base will basically stay as is.

Upvote 0
ROOST isn't fading, but it does have a lot of competition. When you take things into consideration, 75% isn't a bad score guys. Only a very small handful of games make it into the 90th percentile range of reviewing scores. Hell, if I'm not mistaken, even DoD:S was 70-80's by most reviewers (enormous lack of maps was the primary reason I think).

ROOST is really a great game, but as much as I love it, it doesn't have the overall polish that DoD:S or even Battlefield1942 had. On the same token though, neither of these two games were excellent pieces of work from the get-go either. ROOST on the new engine is still relatively new. It still has a lot of room for improvement. Case in point; the vehicle over-deflection of angled armor. Even despite its somewhat dated look (opinion here, but DoD:S looks a heck of a lot better than ROOST does, but it's also MUCH smaller), ROOST has the potential to do a lot of things that the other games can't. There's already talk of adding in air strikes with planes actually flying down and smashing the ground with a coupla 500lbers. There was talk of adding more vehicles and tanks to toy around with. There's talk of maybe even redoing the German models (compared to the Russian models, they do seem a little lackluster). Heck, I'm sure the devs are listening. The community here has given their input for a ton of great ideas, and it'll only be time for they're added.

ROOST just reminds me of that old UT mod called Infiltration. It was a lot different than Counter-Strike, its main competator at the time. It was a fantastic, fantastic mod, but it never had the fanbase than CS ever did. Even then, it didn't change the fact that it was a really great game.

Upvote 0