• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Role play on RO2!

eXplosetoi

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2012
Hi all,

We have been testing a new way of playing RO2.
We took Barashka Winter map and got rid of capzones, timer and built our own respawn rules and points.
We create a scenario of war between germans and russians.
We teamed up around 15 players only but plan to grow in numbers.
For the moment we are all french speaking.

Is any other people interested in playing RP kinda way?
Of course we need serious people who know that it takes time to gather people for events and take it seriously!

Thanks for reading!

eXplosetoi

Sorry I was'nt clear.
We are not here on TWI to find french players but other nationality that might team up against us. Only TLs would communicate in english.

I want to mention, that this NOT A SKILL way of playing, and you don't need to be good to be a good soldier. This is nowhere like clans war or pre-study cups.

no-run & gun but slow realist engagement.

Upvote 0
This sound very Interesting. I speak English very good so i won`t have a Problem communicating with some People.
But how is the Conecpt working like

Who gets wich class ?
Do People know how CMD and Soldier acted like in WW2 at all ? i don`t want to have a Stereotype CMD or Squad Leader.
(And little Kids as SQL are Cancer)
On wich day will these RP Events happen ?
But still i would be Interested

Steam ID is: STEAM_0:0:47929629

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Kmod,

In fact the event is organized by two persons.
The two commanders of fighting team, discuss the whole scenario together in good terms.

All other soldiers don't have any clue what so ever, before the event comes, just the map they have to download, cause it's a SDK map change.

So everything is agreed by two commanders.
It depends on the map, the scenario.
For example:

All soldiers are rifleman, only one tank per side...
3 respawn per objectif, and respawn only as team.

It's very simple in fact, we call it Role play but it's not as complicated as you can see on Arma.
And it's just the beginning.

the big problem is to have players discipline and gather a team.
As french community we have done this for a while, we need someone to team up english speaking players.

Also this is meant to be played IOM, but later.

I tried to put your steam account but it didn't respond, try explosetoi it's easy ;)

Upvote 0
Here is a more finished explanation written by Captain Zizi:

This project came from two things which unpleased me on RO2 : the too much regular spawns, which hold up people to fight as a group because of the staggering of the troups from spawns to fight zone ; and the fact that maps are under-exploited because of define objectives.

I explain the basic idea : take a RO2 map, and make it virgin, in other words remove all objectives, spawns, and red zone.

In this mod, the Team Leaders act as Game Master in paper RPG, in leading his squads (in agreement with the opposite camp TL), in a way to make the game interesting. The Squad Leaders have to lead the people of their own squad. In that case, the good faith and the fairplay of all the players is essential, in any case it's not a competitive game.

For increase the tension and make people to play carefully, the players killed in fight have for orders to stay at the spawn, and to come back to the game when the TL's will ask them (the most of the time when an important group of player will be dead).

The objectives to take are indicated by the TL's and are not communicate to the troop in advance (hehe why soldiers should know the plans of generals ;) ), they can be all important component of the ground : hill, village, bridge, etc...
We consider that an objective is captured when it was completely detailed and confirmed without ennemy by a squad (the SL then confirm to the TL that the objective is taken, attention to him if he is wrong ;) )

The respawns are asked by the SL's, and confirmed or not by the TL's, they should be the less as possible, when the squad suffer a lot of loses.

For counter balance the lethality of the fights, the servs are set with classic handling of the weapon (to make the shots harder), but with keeping the zoom (as they should be some long range fight anyway). The notice of name above the players are set on far, to make the communication easier.

Victory conditions (points are numbered by the TL's, according to the report of the SL's, himself getting it from the members of his squad) :

take an objective : +5 VP
if the objective is indicated

Upvote 0
Hmmm a made mutator awhile back that does some of what you want, perhaps if I chop some of it off, and add the VP's and a basic HUD, and modified some of the functions you'd use it. Maybe later on dynamic squads.
This sound of any interest? Also would counter-act the need for modified maps, unless you want to spice them up a bit.:D

Upvote 0
Hi Beskar Mando,

I'm not sure we understand everything you said.
As for now we are still testing things.
Changing the map on the SDK seems pretty easy and doesn't require much work/time.
So for now we are good.
Of course (which i doubt) this kind of playing becomes popular we may need to proceed in a more pro way...

Unfortuanatly our level of english is pretty basic!
Sorry for misunderstood and low language!

Thx for proposal!

Upvote 0
No worries, was just thinking about the 200mb+ download everytime, vs less than 75Kb! I've had on the shelf for awhile, and the community isn't exactly enthusiastic about one-life hour long "Realism" events. Does most of what you asked, and anything else could be altered pretty easily to fit your needs. I'm an American, so I don't think I'd be able to communicate with poles, and French. Here's what it does as of October 2015:
- removes Boundaries
- Removes Spawn Protection
- Disables or modifies objectives (Dynamic, so you can declare this objective axis, and that one over there neutral, etc. Before the match started)
- Prevents Respawning after a match has started
- replaces time with a 120 minute timer. (can easily be increased)
Probably forgot a few minor things, like Respawning on demand before the match, and Respawning by a TL's order during the match, but yeah just to make things clear, this is what it does.
I had a few things I was trying to get to work including giving an option that removed recon, objective notifications (ie "Axis are attacking B), and the cap ratio HUD (obj icon at the bottom that tells the ratio, and if the objective is being captured, with the little soldiers on either side showing the ratio of forces.
And had planned/placed down rough code for things like teleporting to an area to get setup, that way you wouldn't have to run 600m to the starting location. If you don't want it or need it that's fine, it's been collecting dust for 3-4 months now, and this seemed like something that it could be used for.
**if there are any typos or such, my bad, I wrote this all on my phone.:D**

Last edited:
Upvote 0