• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ROEngine.ini Tweak Guide - confirmed improvement

FBX

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2006
This short guide will help get both your graphics and framerate up

ROEngine.ini is located in Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Config

[BACKUP]
1. Make a backup of ROEngine.ini by simply copying and pasting the file and renaming the new file (convention is normally a .bak extension)

[OPEN ROEngine.ini]
1. Right click and select Open or "Open with...". Choose a text editor of your choice, such as notepad. Nothing fancy. Remember when saving the file to make sure it saved with the correct extension and not a .txt extension. Since all .ini files are actually text files it is ok to make this a permanent change

[DELETE THE REDUNDANT GAME ENGINE ENTRY]
1. Search for ROGame.ROGameEngine
2. Delete everything but the server actors line, so it looks like this:

Code:
[ROGame.ROGameEngine]
ServerActors=IpDrv.WebServer

[IniVersion]
etc
This gets regenerated when you play the game so it is unnecessary and just creates more variables to change.

[ELIMINATE TEXTURE POP-IN]
1. Search for TextureStreaming
2. Change PoolSize line to equal your half of your GPU's video RAM. Note that increasing this value decreases fps slightly but reduces hitching and significantly improves video quality. There is a point where increasing this value does not help anything. I noticed very little difference beyond 512.
3. Note that it is possible to remove texturestreaming entirely but it is not recommended since it just increases hitching while the game loads textures
4. Setting this value too high may crash the game

[REDUCE SHADOW QUALITY]
- Note this reduces the shadow resolution without reducing WHAT shadows are rendered. Settings shadows to "medium" is in many cases an optimal setting.
1. Search for MinShadowResolution
2. Set shadow values as such (note that I am assuming every machine has the same default values I had. If you find yourself increasing values... Don't do it

Code:
MinShadowResolution=16
MinPreShadowResolution=8
MaxShadowResolution=512
MaxWholeSceneDominantShadowResolution=1024
ShadowFadeResolution=16
PreShadowFadeResolution=8
[INCREASE NETWORK BANDWIDTH ALLOWED]
1. Search for Engine.Player
2. Change ConfiguredInternetSpeed to 40000
3. Scroll down to IpDrv.TcpNetDriver
4. Change MaxClientRate and MaxInternetClientRate to 40000 (note that these may be server-side settings and may not do anything. I am not positive yet)
5. Change NetServerMaxTickRate to 22 (again, may be server-side only... Servers that lag out at 64 players may benefit by reducing this number from what they currently have it at)
6. Search for NetClientTicksPerSecond and change it to 22

[POSSIBLY IMPROVE HIT DETECTION]
1. Search for MaxDeltaTime and change it from 0 to 250
- No one knows what this does but I suspect it is a tolerance item of some sort

[DROP THE MINIMUM SMOOTH RATE]
1. Keep smooth FPS enabled but change MinSmoothedFrameRate to 15
2. Set MaxSmoothedFrameRate to whatever you wish
- Game supposedly tries to "undo" graphics when min smooth framerate is hit. This "undo" can cause hitching. Uncomfirmed (just speculation)

[DISABLE UNUSED PERF TRACKING JUST IN CASE]
1. Search for TaskPerfTracking
2. Set bUseTaskPerfTracking to FALSE
3. Scroll down to TaskPerfMemDatabase
4. Set bUseTaskPerfMemDatabase to FALSE

[REDUCE SOUND OVERHEAD]
1. Search for XAudio2.XAudio2Device
2. Change MaxChannels to 64 or greater... The game seems bugged if you have less channels. Set MaxChannels under Engine.AudioDevice to the same value as well.
3. Change MinCompressedDurationGame to 0.3 From 5
4. Change LowPassFilterResonance to 1.0 from 0.9
- This reduces the atmospheric effects and reverberation which eats up CPU useage

[MINOR TWEAKS]
1. Change PrimitiveProbablyVisibleTime to 0.5 or so. This number keeps an object as "visible" even when it is no longer visible. Reducing the number improves framerate response when you move from a busy area to a less busy area and can reduce the fps bottom that might be caused when you move from one busy room to the next. Default is 8 seconds.
2. TimeBetweenPurgingPendingKillObjects is a timer for garbage collection, and you will get a slight hitch everytime this happens. I set this to 600 so it is once per 10 minutes. Default is once per minute. You can try reducing this number to see if it reduces crashing or increase it to reduce hitching that once/minute hitch.

[OTHER ROEngine.ini TWEAKS]
1. Increasing TerrainTessellationCheckDistance may improve performance very slightly. Decreasing this value will ruin performance
2. UpscaleScreenPercentage may or may not do something. Mine was set to True and I changed it to False
3. bAllowHardwareShadowFiltering may do something
4. Under VoIP you can disable voice entirely by setting bHasVoiceEnabled to false.
5. Setting bEnableVSMShadows to true may yield a performance increase

[nVidia AA tweak]
1. In game, disable Anti-aliasing
2. In the nVidia control panel, add ROGame.exe by manually looking for it under Steam's Common folder
3. Set Antialiasing using the control panel
4. This should give good quality AA with good performance

Last edited:
Most of these tweaks don't work, your title said ''confirmed improvement'' and you're thread is filled with may or may not, maybe and not sure.

You'll just make people have more trouble than they already have. There's already a bunch of people in the support section spamming they have problem only to find out they have listened to some people tweaks fix and messed their game up.

Not saying it's not nice of you, but maybe you should test your tweaks more extensively before posting them.

Upvote 0

This has a lot of new tweaks and it drastically altered my performance. I am now playing the game everything maxed out with a stable 60-70 frame rate. That was not a worthy response. I used the texture streaming and hit detection tweaks.

However, my server browser is no longer working (except for favourites and recently played):(

Phenom II X4 965 3.8Ghz
HD6870

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This has a lot of new tweaks and it drastically altered my performance. I am now playing the game everything maxed out with a stable 60-70 frame rate. That was not a worthy response. I used the texture streaming and hit detection tweaks.

However, my server browser is no longer working (except for favourites and recently played):(
It still couldve been posted to the right thread

Reactions: Comrade Kaizer
Upvote 0
Big improvement for me also (6970 2gb). Especially a heck of a lot less of that insane ultra-slowdown thing that appeared every time I'd change my direction of viewing, turn a corner etc. The actual FPS counter itself was probably about the same as before (it would show deceptively high numbers considering how stuttery it felt).

From own testing, the level of shadows makes a big difference on the 'ultra-stutter slowdown when viewing another direction'. The texture pool set to 1024mb from this tweak also probably helped.

First time I've been able to use automatic weapons at medium-close distances online without the FPS dropping to unplayable levels. Fun.

Upvote 0
OP, most of your settings are found in multiple places in the .ini and may cause confusion or problems if not entered in the proper section.

Be sure you're editing
Code:
[SystemSettings]
and not
Code:
[SystemSettingsEditor]
since those settings are for Unreal Editor viewports, which should be left alone. When you edit maps you want to see all the details and you want default settings.

Good tip with the video card memory setting. 512 is what I use also with a 1GB card.
[INCREASE NETWORK BANDWIDTH ALLOWED]
1. Search for Engine.Player
2. Change ConfiguredInternetSpeed to 40000
3. Scroll down to IpDrv.TcpNetDriver
4. Change MaxClientRate and MaxInternetClientRate to 40000 (note that these may be server-side settings and may not do anything. I am not positive yet)
5. Change NetServerMaxTickRate to 22 (again, may be server-side only... Servers that lag out at 64 players may benefit by reducing this number from what they currently have it at)
6. Search for NetClientTicksPerSecond and change it to 22

This is pure BS.

Tick rate is hard coded at 20. Always has been.

There is a formula for arriving at ConfiguredInternetSpeed which can improve responsiveness as far as "hits" are concerned. However, it only works if you set it to less than 10000, which can indeed improve your performance depending on your system.

Client net rate is capped by the server at 10000. The only reason you'd want this higher than 10000 is to set it to 20000 for a 64 player server. 10000 is the 7 year old, 32 player rate. The engine doesn't send any more data to each player than it did 7 years ago. It's a vector and some states like what team and what weapon... which is about half a page per tick worth of data which doubles with twice as many players. See my math there? ;)

[DROP THE MINIMUM SMOOTH RATE]
1. Keep smooth FPS enabled but change MinSmoothedFrameRate to 15
2. Set MaxSmoothedFrameRate to whatever you wish

If I haven't baked people's muffin yet....
You can't see more than what your monitor shows, so all the framerate over and above your monitor's refresh rate are invisible. Your monitor cannot physically display them, and therefore your eyes cannot physically see them.

60 Hz monitor = 60 fps maximum. Anything more and you're wasting electricity. Set MaxSmoothedFrameRate to your monitor's refresh rate.

MaxSmoothedFrameRate caps the framerate if bSmoothFrameRate is set to True. MinSmoothedFrameRate should be 22.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phenom II X4 965 3.8Ghz
HD6870

Thats because you made the ROEngine.ini read only.

Upvote 0