ROEngine.ini Tweak Guide - confirmed improvement

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

MrHat

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 4, 2009
I changed the texture streaming value as well, and I have to say I immediately noticed less hitching when looking around. Way smoother feeling.

Veniathan

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 20, 2011
Croatia
Uhh. I had about 25 - 28 FPS with everything on low

This tweak decreases my FPS down to 14 - 16 and the game is now stuttering.

All i can say is im very lucky that i made a backup for my engine file. Barely helped ..

throumbas

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 4, 2011
If you've got a realtek onboard soundcard, try turning hardware acceleration to basic and sampling rate to the lowest setting as well. Seems to help a lot.

FBX

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 17, 2006
Uhh. I had about 25 - 28 FPS with everything on low

This tweak decreases my FPS down to 14 - 16 and the game is now stuttering.

All i can say is im very lucky that i made a backup for my engine file. Barely helped ..

Positive you didn't make a typo?
Can you isolate which change gave you the issue?
What is your system specs and what did you set the pool value to?

FBX

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 17, 2006
Added:

[MINOR TWEAKS]
1. Change PrimitiveProbablyVisibleTime to 0.5 or so. This number keeps an object as "visible" even when it is no longer visible. Reducing the number improves framerate response when you move from a busy area to a less busy area and can reduce the fps bottom that might be caused when you move from one busy room to the next. Default is 8 seconds.
2. TimeBetweenPurgingPendingKillObjects is a timer for garbage collection, and you will get a slight hitch everytime this happens. I set this to 600 so it is once per 10 minutes. Default is once per minute. You can try reducing this number to see if it reduces crashing or increase it to reduce hitching that once/minute hitch.

Under [OTHER TWEAKS]

Added:
Setting bEnableVSMShadows to True may give a performance increase

Last edited:

WarDog64

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 26, 2006
where do i find the "texture steaming value"? all i have found is "textures streaming" True. i changed it to false and it killed my fps. how and where do i just change the value?

M55ikael

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 11, 2011
where do i find the "texture steaming value"? all i have found is "textures streaming" True. i changed it to false and it killed my fps. how and where do i just change the value?

Search for this exact word: TextureStreaming (ie. there's no space).

FBX

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 17, 2006
I just use notepad. make sure search direction is correct

Tbh I've done stat to see how much textures actually get used and it tops out at about 220 megs on most maps on ultra although I suppose there is potential for more. 512 is probably safe in your case

Verluste

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 3, 2011
www.youtube.com
If you've got a realtek onboard soundcard, try turning hardware acceleration to basic and sampling rate to the lowest setting as well. Seems to help a lot.
Doesnt that decrease the soundquality of the game itself? Not a recommendable option since you MUST hear your surroundings in order to survive.

u-s-e-r

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 24, 2010
Doesnt that decrease the soundquality of the game itself? Not a recommendable option since you MUST hear your surroundings in order to survive.
If it reduces the quality so that it only sounds worse?

throumbas

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 4, 2011

You still hear everything, and I doubt a lot of people can hear the difference between 44khz and 96khz. Give it a try, if it doesn't do anything, just change it back.

u-s-e-r

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 24, 2010
You still hear everything, and I doubt a lot of people can hear the difference between 44khz and 96khz. Give it a try, if it doesn't do anything, just change it back.
Oh, you were talking about your sound card, I thought about the game audio options inself.

Well then I suggest trying to set the game's audio options lower as well, increases performance at the loss of sound quality.

FBX

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 17, 2006
They need to increase the pool size in the next patch to reflect your video card. When is the last time you COULD buy a video card with only 120 mb vram?

Apparition

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 31, 2011
Just wanted to put a little info out there.
At 1920x1080 resolution, ultra settings, high shadow, MLAA, 1 frame thread lag ON, Light Rays, Blur, and Bloom all on.

I recorded GPU Memory using up to ~640 MB.

I have not used the edit yet, but might give it a whirl since I have 1200 MB of vram accessible.

FBX

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 17, 2006
What map and how did find that?

I was using the stat streaming command