• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ROEngine.ini Tweak Guide - confirmed improvement

Great improvement for my performance!
I used the texture streaming change, to 712 (i have a 1.5gig 580gtx)
and I using Nvidia control panel to force 32 x CSAA, and have it OFF in game.

I was able to turn everything to ULTRA (except foliage detail) and I'm getting around 55-65 fps. This really did the trick for me, big time. I went from 15-25fps on medium-low settings.

My video card gets used to about 60-70% now.
I'm guessing increasing the texture streaming will cache more of the textures, which makes a lot of sense, seeing as how texture quality would impact my performance the most, not Detail Levels (polygon count).

Upvote 0
I'm curious at well. Hit detection is a hard thing to judge because you still have to lead moving targets by your ping and you still expect standing still targets to be easy shots. I'd appreciate feedback on what does/doesn't appear to work for each person.

Also if the server is lagging/overloaded I would expect issues either way

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thats because you made the ROEngine.ini read only.

Guys!
You running all at ULTRA...........You are running with ultra LOW shadows

Just thought I'd mention it :)

Did anybody read my post properly?

I only changed the texture streaming and the max delta time. Nothing else. I forgot to mention that shadows are only on med, but certainly not Ultra Low. And I never made the ROEngine read only. I'll post a before and after comparison screen of the settings when I'm sure it's working stable, but I had never had a stable framerate in the sixties on Pavlovshouse and Spartanovka until I did this.

Upvote 0
FYI changing the MaxDeltaTime variable to 250 is going to do one of two things, a) nothing, or b) cap the FPS to an absurdly low number. I don't think MaxDeltaTime means what you think it means within the UDK. If someone with more UDK experience cares to comment, please do as error is human nature.

PS: TG's UT3 tweakguide for more variables and insight

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great improvement for my performance!
I used the texture streaming change, to 712 (i have a 1.5gig 580gtx)
and I using Nvidia control panel to force 32 x CSAA, and have it OFF in game.

I was able to turn everything to ULTRA (except foliage detail) and I'm getting around 55-65 fps. This really did the trick for me, big time. I went from 15-25fps on medium-low settings.

My video card gets used to about 60-70% now.
I'm guessing increasing the texture streaming will cache more of the textures, which makes a lot of sense, seeing as how texture quality would impact my performance the most, not Detail Levels (polygon count).

With this game, I would bet that polygon count is more stressful that textures. The textures do not appear to be giant 8192x8192 with matching maps - turn off any PP effects and look for your self. With the destructible environment and fact that virtually all buildings are accessible in and out and fully modeled, I am getting poly count is higher than the texture count.

Reactions: 11_HARLEY_11
Upvote 0
thanks for the video card memory, this one gave me an extra 10-15 fps, I can now run everything on ultra ( cept the aa which i dont need ) at ~ 40fps standard, dips to 30 and goes up to 70.

Thats on an OC Q6600 , 8 gigs ddr2, and a 4870x2 2 GIG. That card is a monster though and is just a bit less powerfull then brand new AMD Cards ( in the synthetic tests atleast. )

Upvote 0
Interesting. Can anyone else confirm if this helped them with hit detection?

My bullet fired in hi ping servers (100-230ms) used to have noticeably slower bullet traveling time than when in low ping servers (30-100ms)

I know there's latency issue involved, but RO1, RO2's slow bullet issue seems particularly exceptional among other FPS shooters and made it almost unplayable in hi ping servers. (100-230ms)

I am not sure which tweak line corrected this bullet speed latency issue but now I can play in abroad servers without fear of slow bullet travel time.

Thank you for effort OP, This should be stickied!

p.s.) Does this tweak work with all unreal 3 engine? I got unreal tournament 3 and this too have noticeably slow bullet travel time issue when in hi ping server.

Last edited:
Upvote 0