ROEngine.ini Tweak Guide - confirmed improvement

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Srinidhalaya

Jan 20, 2011
Great improvement for my performance!
I used the texture streaming change, to 712 (i have a 1.5gig 580gtx)
and I using Nvidia control panel to force 32 x CSAA, and have it OFF in game.

I was able to turn everything to ULTRA (except foliage detail) and I'm getting around 55-65 fps. This really did the trick for me, big time. I went from 15-25fps on medium-low settings.

My video card gets used to about 60-70% now.
I'm guessing increasing the texture streaming will cache more of the textures, which makes a lot of sense, seeing as how texture quality would impact my performance the most, not Detail Levels (polygon count).

Fisher

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 4, 2011
Crawley, England
60 Hz monitor = 60 fps maximum. Anything more and you're wasting electricity. Set MaxSmoothedFrameRate to your monitor's refresh rate.

How do I find the Hz? Also could you please put a pic of the MaxSmoothedFRameRate and the rest?

atomMan

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 1, 2011
Guys!
You running all at ULTRA...........You are running with ultra LOW shadows

Just thought I'd mention it :)

Richey79

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 13, 2009
Changing the texture setting improves performance a bit more.

We're steadily getting there!

Thanks for posting.

Faulkner

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 21, 2007
Spain
How do I find the Hz? Also could you please put a pic of the MaxSmoothedFRameRate and the rest?

Right click on your desktop, select Screen resolution, click on Advance settings, then Monitor Tab, there you can see your Mhz refresh rate.

FBX

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 17, 2006
Weird, for me the big fps gain came from the shadows tweak. Maybe my ssd was masking any performance hit from having to reload textures.

I would like to fix the big shadow issue, where the shadows switch from blobby ones to detailed ones about 50 feet in front of you

Blahman

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 16, 2008
Good try OP, but too much guesswork and not enough explanation of what individual settings do. Also saying that it's 'confirmed' without saying how it's 'confirmed' is just :rolleyes:

palco

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 17, 2011
Thanks OP, especially about network optimization and hit detection improvement.
It did work for me and now I can actually hit targets in foreign servers with ping of 100~220.

Optimization tweaks are alwayss welcome..

Last edited:

Derpus

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 16, 2011
Thanks OP, especially about network optimization and hit detection improvement.
It did work for me and now I can actually hit targets in foreign servers with ping of 100~220.

Optimization tweaks are alwayss welcome..

Interesting. Can anyone else confirm if this helped them with hit detection?

FBX

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 17, 2006
I'm curious at well. Hit detection is a hard thing to judge because you still have to lead moving targets by your ping and you still expect standing still targets to be easy shots. I'd appreciate feedback on what does/doesn't appear to work for each person.

Also if the server is lagging/overloaded I would expect issues either way

Last edited:

M55ikael

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 11, 2011
Thats because you made the ROEngine.ini read only.

Guys!
You running all at ULTRA...........You are running with ultra LOW shadows

Just thought I'd mention it :)

Did anybody read my post properly?

I only changed the texture streaming and the max delta time. Nothing else. I forgot to mention that shadows are only on med, but certainly not Ultra Low. And I never made the ROEngine read only. I'll post a before and after comparison screen of the settings when I'm sure it's working stable, but I had never had a stable framerate in the sixties on Pavlovshouse and Spartanovka until I did this.

Spank_thru101

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 8, 2011
FYI changing the MaxDeltaTime variable to 250 is going to do one of two things, a) nothing, or b) cap the FPS to an absurdly low number. I don't think MaxDeltaTime means what you think it means within the UDK. If someone with more UDK experience cares to comment, please do as error is human nature.

PS: TG's UT3 tweakguide for more variables and insight

Last edited:

Spank_thru101

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 8, 2011
Great improvement for my performance!
I used the texture streaming change, to 712 (i have a 1.5gig 580gtx)
and I using Nvidia control panel to force 32 x CSAA, and have it OFF in game.

I was able to turn everything to ULTRA (except foliage detail) and I'm getting around 55-65 fps. This really did the trick for me, big time. I went from 15-25fps on medium-low settings.

My video card gets used to about 60-70% now.
I'm guessing increasing the texture streaming will cache more of the textures, which makes a lot of sense, seeing as how texture quality would impact my performance the most, not Detail Levels (polygon count).

With this game, I would bet that polygon count is more stressful that textures. The textures do not appear to be giant 8192x8192 with matching maps - turn off any PP effects and look for your self. With the destructible environment and fact that virtually all buildings are accessible in and out and fully modeled, I am getting poly count is higher than the texture count.

Reactions: 11_HARLEY_11

Colt .45 killer

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 19, 2006
thanks for the video card memory, this one gave me an extra 10-15 fps, I can now run everything on ultra ( cept the aa which i dont need ) at ~ 40fps standard, dips to 30 and goes up to 70.

Thats on an OC Q6600 , 8 gigs ddr2, and a 4870x2 2 GIG. That card is a monster though and is just a bit less powerfull then brand new AMD Cards ( in the synthetic tests atleast. )

M55ikael

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 11, 2011
Well, I can't make any conclusions anymore because since the latest patch the graphics/textures seem to be stuck on low/medium regardless of settings... I've rebuilt all the config files to no avail.

I think I'm going to lay off this game for a couple of months.

palco

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 17, 2011
Interesting. Can anyone else confirm if this helped them with hit detection?

My bullet fired in hi ping servers (100-230ms) used to have noticeably slower bullet traveling time than when in low ping servers (30-100ms)

I know there's latency issue involved, but RO1, RO2's slow bullet issue seems particularly exceptional among other FPS shooters and made it almost unplayable in hi ping servers. (100-230ms)

I am not sure which tweak line corrected this bullet speed latency issue but now I can play in abroad servers without fear of slow bullet travel time.

Thank you for effort OP, This should be stickied!

p.s.) Does this tweak work with all unreal 3 engine? I got unreal tournament 3 and this too have noticeably slow bullet travel time issue when in hi ping server.

Last edited:

*Gasangriff*

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 14, 2006
None of these has done anything to my fps.

How can that be?

AMD 1090T
hd5870 (Xfire available but doesn't change anything either)
8 gig ram