• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO_Berlin and other maps (Mod version)

Deranged

Feb 18, 2006
I havn't played RO for a while, well not since RO Mod 3.3. I notice a lack of alot of maps, is it because some names have changed? Is there a list of maps from the Mod version that are in the Retail with any changes to their names? I miss RO_Berlin, you know the one with the Reichstag and the North and South Appartments.

Well, some maps got new names (ponyri is now something else), and others completely redone. There is a Berlin map, called Konigsplatz, that described the final approach to the reichstag, but its layout is completely different from the mod version (Konigsplatz is based off of real photographs, with slight changes).

Upvote 0
I'm sure the Devs will agree that RO-Berlin was not a good map...

saying it over and over again, doesnt get the fact out of the world that it was one of the most played maps in the mod. But hey I guess thats only because people like to play crappy maps. (http://www.rostats.net/stats/index.php?stats=maps and yes, matches were logged on the relevant servers in the mod)
Its one thing to say it was ugly or not historical accurate its another thing to say it played bad.
And please dont start with the exit camping stuff cause other oh so great maps like Jucha had the exact same problem.

Upvote 0
berlin was the best map for tactical play, long and short range engagements.

the only filled servers of the mod time you can see in the www.rostats.net and the most played maps were koitos and berlin... Both looked ugly so why do ppl vote for it (and no it aren't the people that play it out of nostalgia because its the old people that began to hate it because they played it soo much maybe but everytime new players when they played the map wanted to play again. Its sad to see the best ro map ever gone.

Upvote 0
True, which is probably why Jucha didnt make it in. I don't even want to start any discussion about which maps were crappy in my opinion and which werent. That discussion is useless since no one can objectively rate a map (hint, hint).

To get back on topic, once the devs started making the retail version, they had to decide which maps to include. Some maps made the cut, some didn't. Berlin for example is one of the oldest maps out there. As a developer producing your first ever real game, you want to impress. A map like Berlin just wouldn't do that. It just wouldn't look right on Ostfront. It would need a major overhaul before ever coming back. I mean, yes, Berlin was a good map back in the days, but in it's current state it just wouldn't work out.

Upvote 0
Konigsplatz is a bloody amazing map, first map I played when I was one of the Beta players, and it totally blew me away, the detail and atmosphere.

There are plenty of good infantry only maps in the game, my faves being Danzig, Krasnyi, stalingrad, odessa ...

If people loved Berlin so much I'm surprised nobody has converted it for RO yet :rolleyes:

yeah cause ports are soooo great :rolleyes: Have you ever played Berlin?

Upvote 0