• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO_Berlin and other maps (Mod version)

I was never a fan of 'Berlin' - the map
idunno6nq.gif

Sure it was played alot, but nothing special - Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
This is why RO get's bad reviews. Historical Accuracy should not come over fun. Realism and historical accuracy don't have to go together hand in hand.

Well were assuming they replaced mod berlin with the new version when they are completely different maps that just happen to take place in the same city. The mod version of Berlin was made very early on when the Devs were still learning the tools. Why would they go and remake a map that was done at a time when the skill level was much lower. Also froma artist prespective I cant imagin its very much fun for a mapper to just recreate the same map over and over and over. It would be much more entertaining to make something new. You also would have had a large people when ROOST was released if it was just all mod maps. People would question buying a game when all the maps in it are avaible for free in the mod. So they had to create new maps inorder to attract new people into the game. There wouldnt have been time to recreate all the mod maps and then add in a bunch of new maps.

Also even if you dont like historical accuracy doesnt mean there arent other out there that do. I remember how much everyone loved that map when ROOST was released, not is overplayed and people dont like it as much but at the time it was considered to be one of the best maps in ROOST. Atleast one of the most interesting to play.

Upvote 0
Well were assuming they replaced mod berlin with the new version when they are completely different maps that just happen to take place in the same city. The mod version of Berlin was made very early on when the Devs were still learning the tools. Why would they go and remake a map that was done at a time when the skill level was much lower. Also froma artist prespective I cant imagin its very much fun for a mapper to just recreate the same map over and over and over. It would be much more entertaining to make something new. You also would have had a large people when ROOST was released if it was just all mod maps. People would question buying a game when all the maps in it are avaible for free in the mod. So they had to create new maps inorder to attract new people into the game. There wouldnt have been time to recreate all the mod maps and then add in a bunch of new maps.

Also even if you dont like historical accuracy doesnt mean there arent other out there that do. I remember how much everyone loved that map when ROOST was released, not is overplayed and people dont like it as much but at the time it was considered to be one of the best maps in ROOST. Atleast one of the most interesting to play.

atm from the official maps the only not remade mod maps in there are Odessa, Koningsplatz, Rakowice and Lyeskrovy.

Remakes or maps based on the mod maps are:

Arad, Baksan valley, Barashka, basovka, bondarevo, Danzig, Hedgehog, Kaukasus, Krasnyi Oktyabr, Ogledow, Stalingrad Kessel

And personally after playing Koningsplatz 2 times in roost i hated it already, its realistic yes. But it feels so open no chance to flank or whatever because the enemy will spot you miles away. its just a map about rushing into the objectives. Or staying behind sniping people that try to get in objectives. :X

Last edited:
Upvote 0
atm from the official maps the only not remade mod maps in there are Odessa, Koningsplatz, Rakowice and Lyeskrovy.

Remakes or maps based on the mod maps are:

Arad, Baksan valley, Barashka, basovka, bondarevo, Danzig, Hedgehog, Kaukasus, Krasnyi Oktyabr, Ogledow, Stalingrad Kessel

And personally after playing Koningsplatz 2 times in roost i hated it already, its realistic yes. But it feels so open no chance to flank or whatever because the enemy will spot you miles away. its just a map about rushing into the objectives. Or staying behind sniping people that try to get in objectives. :X

While many of the maps you listed are similar in style and name I didnt include many (not all) of them because they have changed to such a degree that they are really no longer anywhere near the mod version. At least in my opinion they arent. But as you have shown there are many maps based on mod maps (more then I thought), however as I said they cant remake everything from the mod and as I also said most mappers I would think would want to make something new and not just ports.

I also had no problems of Koningsplatz except that everyone played it non stop right after release, most likely because it was the default start up map for servers. I did at first enjoy KoningsplatzI liked the teamwork that was needed to push forward and capture the reichstag. But to each his own I guess.

Upvote 0
Well, Reichstag is pretty good, but if you do poverplay it becomes very boring very quickly. I never played the mod version so I wouldn't know. But if it's don't right, historical accuracy will benefit gameplay.

IMO, I like the Berlin map from FH. That rocked. You'd actually get that felling of the war finally coming to an end, depressing you, and making you insanely happy. You'd just see it, you with 5 other Germans trying to survive, in a blown outbuliding, and an IS-2 rolls past blowing away a Halftrack. The atmosphere in that place was great. You'd literally fight for every metre, and from house to house. But you'd need a lot of background ambience, and the map was really dark. That map is the only map that ever truly made me feel as if I was in the war.

The map also reminded me of that one movie about the last 10 days of Hitler's life.

Yes, you do get sort of that feeling, put it just doesn't quite hit that spot, maybe if there were an extra cap zone, or maybe to have interior for the Reichstag. Maybe more background ambience, or more random artillery like on Kessel (I noticed the random arty lands in the same spot each round). Or make it a 64 player map, to make it really hectic, but that would mean a hell load of lag. I don't know.

Upvote 0