• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ro2: Search and Destroy Pre-Alpha

chasse

Mar 28, 2013
I actually started this project a couple days before Thor announced his and have spent maybe 60 hours off and on since :S. Anyways, this is going to be available as an open source project (so long as credit is given). It will require probably another week's worth of work and I'll have some free time at the end of this coming week. So... without further to do, here is the wall of text describing the pre-alpha version of Ro2's Search and Destroy:

Logo.jpg

As an avid player of the Red Orchestra franchise, I've recently found my favorite Red Orchestra 2 server (2FJG!) advertising that they were interested in creating a small mod based off of the popular gametypes from old school FPS's. In response to this, and as a personal challenge, I was prompted to recreate the gametype from the Call of Duty franchise known as Search and Destroy. For those who don't know, Search and Destroy is a multiplayer gametype where an attacking team of players has to plant a timed bomb onto an objective while the defending team is required to defend that objective. If the attacking team is able to plant and destroy an objective in time, they win; conversely, if the defending team is able to defend their objectives or defuse the bombs, they win.

I laid out the foundations for the basic gameplay logic: players are divided into teams, attackers are the only ones who can pick up bombs, anyone holding a bomb can plant an active objective, defenders can defuse the bomb if there is one planted, objectives change state throughout the game, and everything had to be reset per round. What I added that hasn't been done before in Search and Destroy is the option to have multiple bombs and multiple "required" objectives. Beyond the basic gameplay framework, I made it my mission to empower potential level designers with the ability to edit anything and everything using Unreal's archetype system and Kismet. Every feedback mechanism (art and sound) was left exposed along with most gameplay attributes (time to plant, toggling objectives/bombs, who's defending, etc).

All base functionality has been completed over the last week (using UDK) and the only things remaining include porting it over to Ro2, finishing up on some end-game logic, and adding general feedback to the HUD. There's even a lovely bomb asset that my friend Ian Runnels made, and I also took the time to make a purdy interface using Scaleform. Unfortunately I will have to take a momentary break from this project while I finish up another one over the coming week. Until then, everything will be left open source for anyone wanting to work off of, learn from, or provide general feedback.

Overview
This project has been created using the Unreal Development Kit and includes just basic functionality in its current stage. The following video demonstrates the some of that functionality including multiplayer support:

Ro2 Search and Destroy Alpha - YouTube

Object Setup
Individual objectives and bombs can be added to the map using archetypes. Properties, such as explosion particles, meshes and sounds, have been left exposed so they can be edited within the Editor. Other properties include timing and point variables for individual objectives. Level designers can place as many of these objects as they desire and customize each to behave or appear uniquely. In order to maximize reuse, these objects will not be destroyed during the game and are instead just toggled on and off.

Kismet Support
Level designers have been given access to several Kismet nodes with the ability to define various types of gameplay. This is intended to allow the level designer to change the game state in real-time with full control over things like toggling active objectives, defining victory conditions, defining the attacking side, forcing state changes in the objective, moving bombs, etc. This also includes event nodes that are called whenever an objective has been destroyed/defused or whenever a round ends.

Scaleform
This project introduces Scaleform (Flash integration) to Red Orchestra 2's HUD. Currently this includes a few widgets for planting and disarming objectives. Unlike swapping images in-and-out from traditional texture atlases, Scaleform allows artists to generate rich, animated content through Adobe Flash.

Source Code
RO2: Search and Destroy was programmed using both Unrealscript and Flash ActionScript 2. It features bare gameplay functionality and operates on variables defined from individual maps. Everything will be open source and openly distributed to the community. Source code will be fully commented and has been setup to be as clean and user-friendly as possible for future collaborations.

Download URL
Download here

Last edited:
I actually started this project a couple days before Thor announced his and have spent maybe 60 hours off and on since :S.

Just thinking out loud here, but since we had started our project long before we decided to announce it, obvisouly, and had already spend so much time on it and have also got a 'blueprint' ready for many things that were needed to be invented for the other projects like CTF and the renewed CD, and we have mappers that are also working on custom and converted stock maps, and Thor has already laid the foundation to some more features that you haven't mentioned in your post here but that are vital for such a gametype, would it perhaps not be an idea to see if we might be able to bundle our forces and join these projects into one S&D gametype for this game, instead of two seperate ones that might divide the already small fanbase for S&D into two parts?

We would be delighted if we could all join forces to make this an awesome gametype instead of something that was made rather quick but leaves much to be desired or to be finished by other people. Are you open to that, or do you wish to do this project on your own? I reckon together we can achieve even greater things perhaps. We're just afraid that we don't have enough S&D fans in the community to support two of these gametypes, and it can be very confusing for players to have two different ones out there with different rules and features and in the end it might ruin it for both our mods. (I've seen that before in the OFP/ArmA community)

Between all of us, we would have way more expertise and opportunities perhaps, coding and mapping wise both, I reckon. You obviously know your stuff, you'd be a very valuable new team member for sure, maybe even in a lead programmer role, in the CustomGameTypes mod team, if you'd like to be.

We hope it's not just about 'who can get there first', cause that would be rather unprofessional and wouldn't make for the best result either, perhaps. We're looking at giving the players the best experience we can with this new gametype, and I reckon having two gametypes that try to do the same, but differently, is not the best way to achieve that.

So in conclusion, we would like it a lot if you would consider a potential cooperation between us, to make S&D for RO2 one great asset without splitting up an already small fanbase. And you do not have to worry about giving up too many ideas of your own, as we're very much open to ideas and suggestions of all kinds and we like your approach!!

Kind Regards,
Fred

Upvote 0
Make it have a playerlimit too. Around max 18 people.
I mean 32 vs 32 will be overkill and ruin the match instead of bringing quality gameplay.

God knows most serveradmins know "best" and raise their server to max player capacity anyway.. So limit it please.

Servers decide everything. Mappers decide everything. I am anti-hardcode :) We (now with the CGT team), have decided to make the core game logic as open to as many possibilities as possible. Server admins will even be able to decide things like whether or not to have all players start off with a bomb or not, how many round wins are required to win a match, etc. It's a playground, play!

Obviously the CGT team will have its own release with its own interpretations of the game mode with some of its own custom maps... I think we're going to do some default settings for sure though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Servers decide everything. Mappers decide everything. I am anti-hardcode :) We (now with the CGT team), have decided to make the core game logic as open to as many possibilities as possible. Server admins will even be able to decide things like whether or not to have all players start off with a bomb or not, how many round wins are required to win a match, etc. It's a playground, play!

Obviously the CGT team will have its own release with its own interpretations of the game mode with some of its own custom maps... I think we're going to do some default settings for sure though.
I agree with you on anti-harcode. I'm even against most classlimits in RO.

Your faith in RO server admins is much higher than mine though. :p

Upvote 0
I've been looking all over the internet in hopes that somebody made a S&D gametype for RO2 or even Rising Storm. I am glad to see that somebody did.

I realize that this is in pre-alpha, but the whole idea that somebody is actually taking the time to make this is pretty awesome in my book.

I don't really play RO2. I play Rising Storm instead, and I keep finding myself playing on CountDown servers trying to convince myself that its like S&D in which its not. It feels sorta like it, but it also feels like a round based version of conquest with a little bit of CoD HeadQuarters mode as well.

I just want classic S&D mode in this game. I wish Tripwire would just include it in an update to be honest. Too bad there isn't a petition for it that I know of.

Upvote 0