• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 is a true successor to the mod

Amerikaner

Nov 23, 2005
I've been largely ignoring posting in the General Forum and just having fun with the game instead but I felt like I needed to offer a counterpoint to what seems to be a popular negative opinion on this board.

I find it interesting that so many people are complaining about RO2 being too different and in general, subpar to Ostfront. In mine, and at least a few other old mod players' opinions, RO2 feels like a true successor to the mod. Ostfront was and is a great game. It brought a bunch of great features in and a new layer of polish but at the same time it seemed to lose some of the feel that made the mod so special. Movement and weapon mechanics felt lighter and somehow less impactful. Combat was more frustrating due to it being harder to aim because of an artificial feeling weapon sway. RO2 not only brings that mod feeling back but it greatly enhances it. The cornerstone of RO: detailed, impactful, weapon mechanics that make firing seem so satisfying is greater than its ever been. Gameplay requires sharp movement and accuracy. The visuals have a greater hint of realism. The interface too, while not perfect, strives for a more historical look rather than the slightly cartoony icons/messages of Ost.

I won't argue that there are far too many automatics, annoying bugs, and questionable/unfinished design choices at this point in time. Yet, despite those negatives, what really matters is the core gameplay and in this vet's opinion, it's a return to the original, and best, version of Red Orchestra. For that, I am extremely pleased.

Yes i agree with most points with you. But as you said:

hat really matters is the core gameplay and in this vet's opinion, it's a return to the original, and best

The class system and weapons distribution are a part and affect the core gameplay. That's why people aren't happy.

We can live with the zoom, more fluid movements, etc. But the actual class system is the total opposite of what we seen in the mod, for example.

Upvote 0
Not just all the autos, but the bandaging, bleed outs (possiblity of 2nd chance, third chance and even fourth chance, even COD doesn't have that!), leveling and unlocks have truly changed the essence of the game, in my opinion. What the heck is a new rifleman with no class buffs and a level 1 Mosin-Nag supposed to do against an assault hero with a fully-leveled Mkb42???

Upvote 0
What I remember from the short time I spent on the mod was Bolt action rifles, recoil on SMG's, being stabbed by bayonets, small numbers of players in any game, getting blown up by nades and some epic maps (can't remember the names, but some were a lot of fun). I just liked the gameplay, especially having so many bolts around.

I actually did a few gameplay videos shortly before Ostfront released, with simply the gameplay without any editing. Should have kept them but deleted them a while ago

Upvote 0
Not just all the autos, but the bandaging, bleed outs (possiblity of 2nd chance, third chance and even fourth chance, even COD doesn't have that!), leveling and unlocks have truly changed the essence of the game, in my opinion. What the heck is a new rifleman with no class buffs and a level 1 Mosin-Nag supposed to do against an assault hero with a fully-leveled Mkb42???

Select Apartments. Select Soviet side. Cross right bridge, go into cellar, go upstairs, emerge behind inevitable Mkb camper firing from doorway, bayo him. Go upstairs, bayo second Mkb. Move into Propaganda House. Listen for the sound of an Mkb running dry. Bayo said Mkb. Camp near doors and defend Propaganda House while team moves on to Square. Bayo any Mkb-wielding Fritz who pokes his head in. ;):D

Upvote 0
I've been largely ignoring posting in the General Forum and just having fun with the game instead but I felt like I needed to offer a counterpoint to what seems to be a popular negative opinion on this board.

I find it interesting that so many people are complaining about RO2 being too different and in general, subpar to Ostfront. In mine, and at least a few other old mod players' opinions, RO2 feels like a true successor to the mod. Ostfront was and is a great game. It brought a bunch of great features in and a new layer of polish but at the same time it seemed to lose some of the feel that made the mod so special. Movement and weapon mechanics felt lighter and somehow less impactful. Combat was more frustrating due to it being harder to aim because of an artificial feeling weapon sway. RO2 not only brings that mod feeling back but it greatly enhances it. The cornerstone of RO: detailed, impactful, weapon mechanics that make firing seem so satisfying is greater than its ever been. Gameplay requires sharp movement and accuracy. The visuals have a greater hint of realism. The interface too, while not perfect, strives for a more historical look rather than the slightly cartoony icons/messages of Ost.

I won't argue that there are far too many automatics, annoying bugs, and questionable/unfinished design choices at this point in time. Yet, despite those negatives, what really matters is the core gameplay and in this vet's opinion, it's a return to the original, and best, version of Red Orchestra. For that, I am extremely pleased.

Nice post and I agree no one was a bigger fan of ro1 than me (or so I think:p)and I am not disappointed in this game.While its not perfect and has some polishing to be done for me the core gameplay is true to ost.While the gunplay can be faster at times I enjoy the challenge.And its not unrealistic because soldiers train on assault courses to aquire and engage targets fast! even shoot on the move in CQB combat.

Any small problems I have with the game I'm more than patient enough to trust TWI to deliver in the end.

For all the vets saying the aiming is too fast ...be glad its not this fast ...( the dude has some skills)

Chris Tilley Shooting on the Move - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like a lot of things of RO2. Personally I like that you are not forced to rest your weapon for a shot, and can quickly go into action, which allows people to be more on the move. Regardless though overall game play has gotten more campy in general, with game play resulting in either you or the enemy sees the other but you hardly see each other and get fire fights (I personally blame the zoom for this as enemies are harder to see to begin with you simply won't spot them in your peripheral view and are forced to zoom in).

And in general don't like the class/weapon distribution, there are too many smgs but more important too many semis and assault weaponry. Those allround weapons are made more realistic now, and like they were designed are all ground great weapons without any real disadvantages in the scenarios seen in game.

One thing I always liked about RO was the need for different classes such as the rifleman and the smg, both having individual strenghts and weaknesses. Now every weapon is good at the ranges that occur in the game greatly blurring the lines between various weaponry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Select Apartments. Select Soviet side. Cross right bridge, go into cellar, go upstairs, emerge behind inevitable Mkb camper firing from doorway, bayo him. Go upstairs, bayo second Mkb. Move into Propaganda House. Listen for the sound of an Mkb running dry. Bayo said Mkb. Camp near doors and defend Propaganda House while team moves on to Square. Bayo any Mkb-wielding Fritz who pokes his head in. ;):D

Gee, you make it sound so, uhm ... simple?

Cross right bridge - assumes you have made it past hail of Mkb42 & MP40 fire, along with frags. Works every time. Check!

go into cellar - see assumption number 1

Move into Propaganda House - see assumption number 1

This sounds like something you got lucky enough to manage one or two times on one map and now like to brag about. How the hell is THAT a long term, universal solution?

Upvote 0
Gee, you make it sound so, uhm ... simple?

I facepalm very hard when I find myself on a Soviet team that get locked down on this map. I dont play 64 player servers, because the level design doesnt suit that many players, and I agree that you can get bogged down in the meat grinder on such servers.

Half the Soviet team go right, half left. TL & SLs use smoke. Team get camped behind the two walls that let you cap before the Axis even get into position at the top-floor windows.

A Soviet assault team proceed to storm the East stairwell, taking an overwatch position that allows control of the courtyard. A second on the left then take the West stairwell and move on to the Propaganda House where they can mow down Axis players from the front balcony and downstairs front of house as they try to move to the front line.

Both should be easily cappable within 2:30 at most. Every time.

Problem comes when a third of the Soviet team decide to camp in the upper-floor windows on their side of the river, and another third decide to push on past the cap zones, effectively taking themselves out of action entirely.

Upvote 0
I find it interesting that so many people are complaining about RO2 being too different and in general, subpar to Ostfront. In mine, and at least a few other old mod players' opinions, RO2 feels like a true successor to the mod.

it is the way of the internet.

whine there is nothing good anymore. beat on something good until it dies and then whine there is nothing good.

Upvote 0
I like a lot of things of RO2. Personally I like that you are not forced to rest your weapon for a shot, and can quickly go into action, which allows people to be more on the move. Regardless though overall game play has gotten more campy in general, with game play resulting in either you or the enemy sees the other but you hardly see each other and get fire fights (I personally blame the zoom for this as enemies are harder to see to begin with you simply won't spot them in your peripheral view and are forced to zoom in).

And in general don't like the class/weapon distribution, there are too many smgs but more important too many semis and assault weaponry. Those allround weapons are made more realistic now, and like they were designed are all ground great weapons without any real disadvantages in the scenarios seen in game.

One thing I always liked about RO was the need for different classes such as the rifleman and the smg, both having individual strenghts and weaknesses. Now every weapon is good at the ranges that occur in the game greatly blurring the lines between various weaponry.

This is part of the problem for realism in the way that, Im not sure about most of you here but after rifle training and 9mm training i find in no way is anyone accurate while firing on the move with an automatic until in CQB. And having to steady the weapon to fire, that makes sence.

Upvote 0
Aim and kill him with single chest shot.

Which you can also do with smg or semi, while having extra versatility, high ROF and cause suppression. As an SMGer its often worth shooting as soon as you see the enemy and then correcting your shots because you move the guys aim around as soon as you start firing, while the bolter will have to line up 1 shot which won't necessarily kill in 1 hit anyway.

Its RO2 gameplay though. I don't have to like it and I don't want to force changes when others obviously do like it. Needs to be an alternate game mode though with either mutators or realism mode because as it stands its pretty split for those pro or anti HoS. I don't even expect any improvement with the likes of Rising Storm as devs for that seem to be keen to point out how realistic HoS is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0