• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Health/Damage System

mrsirr

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
Over here, no not there, here.
Nerd question: How does this system work exactly?
I know that there are the different hit zones and such and what not.
But how does that work with respect to the damage value of an individual weapon?
For example:
I shoot someone in the hand with my K98
*The K98 has a damage value of 115
*the hand has an hp of 5
The guy didn't die. So clearly it didn't do 115 damage
also, he didn't die and his hand still works so it's not a system where body parts can "die" and it's not a system where a character dies if any of his body parts' hp reaches 0.
It also clearly did more than 5 damage to the guy since I can't imagine having to shoot him twenty times, even in the foot, to kill him.

Wassup withat? :0

I mean, this is a chance for all you guys that speak SDK to show off. I want numbers and multipliers (if there are any) and all that jazz.
But not like, lines of code; I already tried reading the code.
I almost had a stroke :I

Someone who actually knows all the numbers and stuff will be able to elaborate, but this is just my guess based on about 500 hours of playing this game.

I believe that there is a total health pool, probably of 100 or something like that, and then each body part has its own health that will limit the amount of damage that can be done to the total heath. Some body parts are more vital than others, and will thus have a higher amount of health, so getting shot there will allow for more damage to be done. So while getting shot in the hand will not do much since its health is so small, getting shot in the torso is usually fatal, since its health is probably greater than or equal to the total health.

And then after the instant damage done, extra damage is done from bleeding, which will continue to drain your health until either you bandage, the body part runs out of its individual health, or your total health is depleted and you die. However, as long as there is still some health left in the total health pool, you will be able to function just fine.

Again, this explanation was pretty much all guessing, I've never really looked through the game's code.

Now all I want is for there to actually be some sort of effect when one is wounded. Because I've had times where I've been riddled with bullets and on the brink of death, but still be able to run around and fight without any adverse effects. Currently all we get is a brief moment of being slowed to a walk when shot in the leg, but I would also like to see things such as leg wounds permanently decrease run speed until the next life as well, and for getting shot in the arm to make aiming harder, and so on. But I'm probably going to have to rely on modders for that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah I've heard that you die if a limb is in the red and it gets shot.
But it's strange because the kind of thing I was talking about earlier would hint that individual limb hp doesn't threaten the player's life.

Yeah I believe there is a total health pool. I pretty much thought that it worked the way you said except that there are some things that make me think it can't work that way.
Like getting one-shotted by the Mkb 42 (70 damage) by a shot to the abdomen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah I believe there is a total health pool. I pretty much thought that it worked the way you said except that there are some things that make me think it can't work that way.
Like getting one-shotted by the Mkb 42 (70 damage) by a shot to the abdomen.
My only idea for how that might work is that some body parts might also have multipliers that increase the damage done from the base damage of the gun. For example the head's multiplier would probably be really high, meaning that a headshot will probably be lethal regardless of the gun. The abdomen's multiplier would be lower, but apparently still high enough to make that 70 damage become lethal.

I would really like someone who actually understands the code to come in this thread and clarify though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Through my testing and changing values I feel the damage system works like this:

Maximum health is 100
Zone health varies
Some zones cause instantaneous death
Zones have different levels of bleeding speed but that's another system

If a zone has <100 health and is hit by a bullet, the maximum damage inflicted is the actual zone health.

For example: Rifle hits leg, leg health is 40. Damage to player is maxed at 40. MP40 hits leg. Damage to player is also 40. M1895 hits leg at long range. Damage to player is 35.

Therefore if a zone's health is 100 then you can "potentially" kill a player in a single hit with any weapon that does 100 or more damage. If a zone has an "instant-kill" flag then you can kill them regardless of the damage (such as Headshot or Heartshot.)

Upvote 0
If a hit zone can bleed (bIsBandagAble=true) then the actual damage done is halved (in Realism mode), and further damage to the limb and player can be done through bleeding. This is until the hit zone's health runs out, at which point all damage from then on is applied straight away to the overall players health.

The Hitzone types set the speed at which bleeding occurs. Non_critical has the slowest bleed speed, and Lethal has the fastest.

So E.G;

A rifle does 115 damage.

I shoot a guy in the abdomen (Has health 100, bandage-able), the weapon does 57.5 damage to the player, and 57.5 damage to the limb. If the guy bandages instantly, bleeding is stopped. He is at less than half health for both limb and overall-health. A second shot to that area will kill him.

I shoot a guy in the chest (Has 100 health, NOT bandage-able), the weapon does the full 115 damage to his chest zone, and his overall health. Dies straight away.

An SMG does 50 damage.

I shoot a unlucky chap in the chest with one shot, the weapon does 50 damage to his overall health and 50 damage to the limb. He can't bandage as this area doesn't bleed. A second shot will kill him.

I shoot someone in the hand (5 health, bandage-able, the weapon does 25 damage to the overall health, and 25 to the hand. The player cannot bandage because the zone has essentially run out of blood. I shoot him in the same area again, this time however, 50 damage is done straight to the overall health. Another shot to the area to finish him off.

Things become more fun with larger limbs, bullets hitting multiple zones on their way through, and another modifier for bleeding; a shot to an already bleeding limb causes it to bleed faster. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey y'all I been gone for two days wassup?

If a hit zone can bleed (bIsBandagAble=true) then the actual damage done is halved (in Realism mode), and further damage to the limb and player can be done through bleeding. This is until the hit zone's health runs out, at which point all damage from then on is applied straight away to the overall players health.

The Hitzone types set the speed at which bleeding occurs. Non_critical has the slowest bleed speed, and Lethal has the fastest.

So E.G;

A rifle does 115 damage.

I shoot a guy in the abdomen (Has health 100, bandage-able), the weapon does 57.5 damage to the player, and 57.5 damage to the limb. If the guy bandages instantly, bleeding is stopped. He is at less than half health for both limb and overall-health. A second shot to that area will kill him.

I shoot a guy in the chest (Has 100 health, NOT bandage-able), the weapon does the full 115 damage to his chest zone, and his overall health. Dies straight away.

An SMG does 50 damage.

I shoot a unlucky chap in the chest with one shot, the weapon does 50 damage to his overall health and 50 damage to the limb. He can't bandage as this area doesn't bleed. A second shot will kill him.

I shoot someone in the hand (5 health, bandage-able, the weapon does 25 damage to the overall health, and 25 to the hand. The player cannot bandage because the zone has essentially run out of blood. I shoot him in the same area again, this time however, 50 damage is done straight to the overall health. Another shot to the area to finish him off.

Things become more fun with larger limbs, bullets hitting multiple zones on their way through, and another modifier for bleeding; a shot to an already bleeding limb causes it to bleed faster. ;)
images

Upvote 0
But that's also what's neat about it, that can totally happen. Awhile back a guy was shot 21 times and not only didn't die, he wasn't even incapacitated. Adrenaline and poor shot placement can really neuter guns.
I really feel like the lethality of firearms is blown out of proportion abit without much logic, guns are just a horror story now.

Upvote 0
But that's also what's neat about it, that can totally happen. Awhile back a guy was shot 21 times and not only didn't die, he wasn't even incapacitated. Adrenaline and poor shot placement can really neuter guns.
I really feel like the lethality of firearms is blown out of proportion abit without much logic, guns are just a horror story now.

But that is a rare case you describe.

People must remember that 'death' in RO could be actual death or wounded to the point of being battlefield ineffective.

I think weapons are fine considering that.

Upvote 0
Well it's not really rare. Tis uncommon, but there is no shortage of documentaries and reports of people continuing to fight after being shot several times.
That being said, I don't see it happen so much in this game that it is a problem, it's rare enough that I feel like it's okay when it does happen.
And, like you said, dying in this game could be simply getting shot and freaking out and collapsing/fainting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well it's not really rare. Tis uncommon, but there is no shortage of documentaries and reports of people continuing to fight after being shot several times.
That being said, I don't see it happen so much in this game that it is a problem, it's rare enough that I feel like it's okay when it does happen.
And, like you said, dying in this game could be simply getting shot and freaking out and collapsing/fainting.

Very rarely, I have been shot almost everywhere and my avatar is almost completely red and I am still able to continue. Doesn't happen often and it almost always followed by someone saying they shot me multiple times, how could I not drop :D

Upvote 0