• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 coverage on Gamespot's FPS Friday

Comrade Kaizer

Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2009
Surprisingly stumbled upon this while searching for some RO2 videos to watch and kill some very brief time. Didn't watch too much (yet), as I'm just about to nuke my HDD and commence a fresh install of my OS - but it seems to be generally positive praise so far.

I find it interesting when a niche game captures the attention of the more "mass appeal/casual" crowd (the ones that seem like they get it). Don't know why really, I just like to witness them dissect something that, while common to the likes of players like me, still relatively a discovery experience to them.

If you see folks in the comments showing interest, you guys should entice them or at least educate them on some of the oft misinterpreted features the game has.

FPSF - Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - YouTube

i hate it that they got people who don't know what they are doing to do a video of red orchestra 2 and do very bad at it, this video is making people not buy it.

Sez you.... While they got a number of things wrong and misunderstood a few things like who calls in air strikes, who's an enemy, etc.... they give you the view of a bran new player to the game and first impressions.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone who's never heard of RO, let alone played it like these guys.

They seemed to have actually enjoyed it, regardless of their tactics & knowledge..... new players can relate to their experiences and lack of knowledge, yet can still see that they can have fun.

It's a good introductory video to RO2, but I wouldn't rely on it as something full of knowledge about the game.

These guys cone from the world of BF and CoD, yet really got into the game and knew that their tactics from the other two games wasn't going to cut it.... So they / he was being extra careful with movement..... Perhaps a bit too careful if you ask me.

But they really need to figure out who's who before shooting. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sez you.... While they got a number of things wrong and misunderstood a few things like who calls in air strikes, who's an enemy, etc.... they give you the view of a bran new player to the game and first impressions.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone who's never heard of RO, let alone played it like these guys.

They seemed to have actually enjoyed it, regardless of their tactics & knowledge..... new players can relate to their experiences and lack of knowledge, yet can still see that they can have fun.

It's a good introductory video to RO2, but I wouldn't rely on it as something full of knowledge about the game.

These guys cone from the world of BF and CoD, yet really got into the game and knew that their tactics from the other two games wasn't going to cut it.... So they / he was being extra careful with movement..... Perhaps a bit too careful if you ask me.

But they really need to figure out who's who before shooting. :p

yeah but they kept referencing red orchestra 2 with battlefield and call of duty, i understand that they are new to the game and don't understand it but they should at least looked up the game and played it before making a video of it. i stopped watching at around 15 mins because everything they was saying was call of duty this and battlefield that it was just annoying me.

they are also giving many people the wrong idea about red orchestra 2

Upvote 0
yeah but they kept referencing red orchestra 2 with battlefield and call of duty, i understand that they are new to the game and don't understand it but they should at least looked up the game and played it before making a video of it. i stopped watching at around 15 mins because everything they was saying was call of duty this and battlefield that it was just annoying me.

they are also giving many people the wrong idea about red orchestra 2
Why shouldn't they compare it to those games? It's a modern shooter, uses an updated graphics engine, allows for infantry and vehicle combat, airstrikes and other off-map assets ("UAV") are utilized, the game has a leveling system with XP, achievements, and an unlocks system to top it all off. There's no special rule that says these guys are not allowed to compare the game to other modern shooters. You're acting as if RO2 is up on some kind of pedestal or something, when in reality the game has more in common with those "mainstream" titles than I think you care to recognize.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why shouldn't they compare it to those games? It's a modern shooter, uses an updated graphics engine, allows for infantry and vehicle combat, airstrikes and other off-map assets ("UAV") are utilized, the game has a leveling system with XP, achievements, and an unlocks system to top it all off. There's no special rule that says these guys are not allowed to compare the game to other modern shooters. You're acting as if RO2 is up on some kind of pedestal or something, when in reality the game has more in common with those "mainstream" titles than I think you care to recognize.

yes you are right about that but red orchestra 2 is a different type of a first person shooter

Upvote 0
If they didn't make references to COD/BF it would be shoddy journalism. This is a good way to introduce a game, especially one that has got realistic elements. They make a very good point of the controls; ArmA is an absolute bear with the amount of keys needed to play properly, yet RO2 feels pretty good out of the box.

Besides, we want more people to play, right? How else are they going to hear about it? By comparing it to BF/COD they are making references to what people KNOW. People play those games more often. Even if they never have, people are aware those games exist and how they play. By making comments that tie those experiences in to R02, they can compare and contrast. Some will be turned off by it, but some, the people we want playing, generally, will be like "Hey, you die in one hit, that's new!" and will buy it or try it on a free weekend.

New blood is good...isn't it?

Upvote 0
yes you are right about that but red orchestra 2 is a different type of a first person shooter

Which the two guys continually pointed out in the video. While they went back to their CoD and BF experiences as a reference and comparison, they were almost always in favour of RO2.... And if you never played RO before, you'd do the exact same thing.

When I first got into RO, all I had to reference and compare to were previous games I played.

They even mentioned ARMA as well and noted that RO2 was a nice balance between them all.

The whole time I saw them playing (I skipped through a couple of times) they both seemed to be enjoying their time playing even though most of the time it was just them dying.... They enjoyed playing and watching.

what I don't get are the people in here nit picking about their knowledge of the game and their referencing other games for others to understand the game better..... At least it was a positive review and at least somebody was playing the game, suggesting others to try it out.

With people with 733t'st attitudes like that, it's no wonder why the community is dwindling away.

Self entitled, elitist, superiority complexed group of people who think they're better than everybody else.

You guys complain about a small community and so many empty servers, yet when new people show interest or have a different perspective towards the game, they get shat all over.... No wonder nobody sticks around, the community has rotted to the core.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Which the two guys continually pointed out in the video. While they went back to their CoD and BF experiences as a reference and comparison, they were almost always in favour of RO2.... And if you never played RO before, you'd do the exact same thing.

When I first got into RO, all I had to reference and compare to were previous games I played.

They even mentioned ARMA as well and noted that RO2 was a nice balance between them all.

The whole time I saw them playing (I skipped through a couple of times) they both seemed to be enjoying their time playing even though most of the time it was just them dying.... They enjoyed playing and watching.

what I don't get are the people in here nit picking about their knowledge of the game and their referencing other games for others to understand the game better..... At least it was a positive review and at least somebody was playing the game, suggesting others to try it out.

With people with 733t'st attitudes like that, it's no wonder why the community is dwindling away.

Self entitled, elitist, superiority complexed group of people who think they're better than everybody else.

You guys complain about a small community and so many empty servers, yet when new people show interest or have a different perspective towards the game, they get shat all over.... No wonder nobody sticks around, the community has rotted to the core.

I've been trying to point this out since I've first registered on these forums. But all I've gotten is "lol ur ruining the game with ur casual bs".

I remember seeing newbies post threads wanting to know about each of the game modes and whether they should start with Action or Realism. Said thread was immidieatlty hit with "lol casual go back to cod/bf3 " posts and the usual Realism vs Classic flamewar. Certainly not the the greatest welcome..

Also very disheartening is the few guys here that stick around post solely opportunistic jabs at RO2 and TWI (you know who you are), contributing absolutely nothing substantial to improve the game (even in the direction that they want)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
The purpose of this thread was not to show off gameplay, it was as I stated, to my surprise that Red Orchestra 2 was considered to be featured, played and genuinely given praise. I like to see that, I like to see new players of which I never expected to pick up and play RO and dissect their experiences with it.

There are potential future players in those view numbers and comments. Players who in a couple of years essentially become you and I. Who cares if they don't play well, I'm sure none of you guys here jumped into Ostfront winning the war instantaneously. People are constantly complaining about empty servers and dwindling population, well... seize the opportunity and encourage people to learn about the game. It doesn't benefit ourselves to point at and criticize them, especially if they're showing interest and at least attempting to decipher the RO logic.

So what if they compared things to Battlefield/Arma. It's what they had experience playing, what else would they compare it to? With games they've never played before and therefore have no credible knowledge of to discuss the differences? That's pretty short-sighted to complain about. Overall, there is a cycle to the community generations - if you deter and spite those coming up, than sooner or later you'll have no new blood and your community will wither out and die.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back on topic : Even this thread is proof of the state of the community, someone ( a mod no less) starts a thread to say "hey isn't it cool that RO2 got a nice thorough positive review?" And people immediately start attacking said video, for not seeing the game the same way as a RO1/ArmA vet - completely ignoring the fact the video is a first experience of the RO franchise (and possibly realistic FPS in general). As others have stated here, when you first get into a new game, to understand it you naturally related to your previous experiences (in the case of the video BF series). Yet people immediately screamed with indignant rage about how offended they were that their game was mentioned in the same sentence as BF/COD, and others again use the opportunity to post the same old "LOLOOL RO2 IS COD" nonsense.

When even genuine positivity and interest towards the game generates so much hate, there is a serious problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Back on topic : Even this thread is proof of the state of the community, someone ( a mod no less) starts a thread to say "hey isn't it cool that RO2 got a nice thorough positive review?" And people immediately start attacking said video, for not seeing the game the same way as a RO1/ArmA vet - completely ignoring the fact the video is a first experience of the RO franchise (and possibly realistic FPS in general). As others have stated here, when you first get into a new game, to understand it you naturally related to your previous experiences (in the case of the video BF series). Yet people immediately screamed with indignant rage about how offended they were that their game was mentioned in the same sentence as BF/COD, and others again use the opportunity to post the same old "LOLOOL RO2 IS COD" nonsense.

When even genuine positivity and interest towards the game generates so much hate, there is a serious problem.

Agreed.... some people in here need to.... how shall I put this in a way some will understand?

Ya best check'idy check yourself, before you wreck yourself n' what you represent'n, dig?

Fo'shizzle ma'nizzles.

I have my issues with how this game has been worked on by the Devs and have been frustrated over a number of things over the last year.... but I never.... EVER.... trash out or belittle new players to the game and I help them as much as possible with getting into the game.

This whole elitist attitude some people have is very misplaced. It's not helping the game, it's not helping the community and is more than likely a big chunk of the blame towards why RO2 is hardly registering on the Steam Stats page these days.

Sure, feel great that you're all elite and playing a more unforgiving game than CoD or BF..... but while you do so, you're gradually ending up playing with fewer and fewer players (as proven by the current player counts).

What's worse?

A game filled with teenaged lil' snots who troll and bunny hop around while hip firing & blasting Aqua over their mics..... or a game filled with elitist pompous blow hards who make new players feel like they're somehow not worthy to play the game, let alone play against or with them?

Both are pretty much the same in my books, but just on different ends of the spectrum.... ie: they're both groups of players I don't want to play with and would make me not want to bother.

And whether you prefer BF, CoD, ARMA or RO2.... you prefer a fast paced action game or a slower paced thinking & realistic game.... none make you better than someone else, nor does it make you elite.

They're all "VIDEO GAMES" and to think a video game makes you somehow special or elite is just sad.

They're to play and have fun with.... they're not selective groups or clubs and they have no direct impact on your stature in real life. If you think they do, then you have a problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was REALLY apprehensive about joining this forum because of stuff like this, glad to see their is some positive people here.

We all had to start somewhere(Many players I've played with will probably say I'm still starting somewhere, lol) But this community needs to be more accepting of its newbies.

-on topic

I'd love more mainstream coverage of this game; for the most part its relegated to blogs. Most folks I've talked to won't even touch it, since they can't understand how dying every 5 seconds is fun.(I've told em it gets better with practice, but nope.) And while the commentary isn't the greatest one, at least it will start dialogue about the game. Even if 9/10 people who watch it say, "Man, that game just doesn't look like fun", you'll still get one person who says, Wow, that looks intense and different, let's give it a shot.

If that one person gets into this game because of that video, even if its just to see what its all about, then its a success. It's got us one more person to play with.

Also, if your hating on the video so much for how noob they are, by all means, make your own. I would, but I'm probably not good enough to warrant it.

Upvote 0
I was REALLY apprehensive about joining this forum because of stuff like this, glad to see their is some positive people here.

We all had to start somewhere(Many players I've played with will probably say I'm still starting somewhere, lol) But this community needs to be more accepting of its newbies.

-on topic

I'd love more mainstream coverage of this game; for the most part its relegated to blogs. Most folks I've talked to won't even touch it, since they can't understand how dying every 5 seconds is fun.(I've told em it gets better with practice, but nope.) And while the commentary isn't the greatest one, at least it will start dialogue about the game. Even if 9/10 people who watch it say, "Man, that game just doesn't look like fun", you'll still get one person who says, Wow, that looks intense and different, let's give it a shot.

If that one person gets into this game because of that video, even if its just to see what its all about, then its a success. It's got us one more person to play with.

Also, if your hating on the video so much for how noob they are, by all means, make your own. I would, but I'm probably not good enough to warrant it.

Good post, it's good to see the newer players speaking out and giving some balance to the community... I'd make a video, but I can't stand to wait for days while it uploads to YouTube from Fraps.

Upvote 0