• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 coverage on Gamespot's FPS Friday

Reading the comments I don't understand the grudge some Ro1 players have against this game, they are intent on slagging it of on every opportunity (TW sold out this game is a cod/bf3 clone blah blah blah), rather than focusing on the 100 other cliche modern shooter games that deserve such spite they choose to direct it at a games company that is actually addressing the community's issues/concerns unlike EA and Codemasters ect.

Upvote 0
Its sad that people bash others because they are not good 'enough' in a game. I have no problem with new players or how well they play. If everyone gave helpfull suggestion to these people instead of bashing them then they would learn faster an feel encouraged to keep on learning. You can't jump into a game and learn everything at once. It requires time.

The importance in the question is not whenever you're a noob or veteran, but what mode you choose to play and support. I couldn't care less about the CoD/BF references. It's rather good since it tells that RO isn't another typical FPS and since most people play generic FPS shooters this comparison is important.

Upvote 0
I never understood some peoples impatience with new players in RO.It was the same way in Ost as well it just takes time for people to learn position and how to be effective.No one starts RO as an expert no matter how many fps's they have played.

Its easy for some to call new players noob just because they don't understand the game like they do.They just forget they started the same way and IMO is very short sighted of them. Heck I don't even like the word noob because EVERYONE is a noob at something.

I welcome any new player and will even help them with advice when they ask. For the most part the community has mature and level headed players.The problem is the few who grieve the new players are just more outspoken.

The term it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch comes to mind.

Upvote 0
I just watched the whole thing (second monitor FTW!) and I thought it was a great video because it is a very accurate documentation of how open minded new player(s) get their azz handed to them, do things wrong, begin to figure things out and still have fun along the way. Yeah, they compare it to games they've already played, how would they not? And when they do, the points they bring up, they compare it favorably.

What's not to like?

I'm sending this video to some people I know because they might relate and give the game a try.

Upvote 0
I have watched about half of it so far.

In some ways its interesting to watch, and painful at the same time.

Its definitely an eye opener to watch players who really don't know what they are doing, and see how they are learning and are confused at the same time.

I also had a hard time watching it because they did seem so clueless most of the time. I felt that they should have taken some time to learn the game before creating the video. I also have to say, from my own experience of coming from COD/UO and jumping into ROOST (when it came out), that I wasn't anywhere as confused as they were as what to do in the game (keyboard learning curve excluded). Its as if their playing of the other mentioned games has really made it hard for them to adapt to the ROHOS style of play.

I still can't decide whether their confusion what to do in the game is helpful or not despite their reactions seeming to be positive. Will non-players see this video and be interested or turned off? I don't know.

Will have to watch more to make a final judgement.

Upvote 0
I think their response to the game is pretty typical if you're coming from enjoying a fast paced shooter. They were playing it like TDM which is understandable, usually if you're new to a game you're primarily trying to survive and simply get some kills. They either didn't care or didn't understand their roles very well. Which was annoying, but is to be expected from someone new and not that invested in the game.

Also, they obviously prefer that fast, rinse/repeat, never a few seconds away from a gunfight kind of gaming over a slower, more methodical style. In their defense, they never criticized that kind of play, they just acknowledged it's different and has it's appeal.

I didn't find the RO2 kind of gameplay difficult to understand myself, as I was used to similar from other games. We're obviously in the minority though and I thought this video was decent in showing that, yeah it's a different way to play, but it's worth a try as it has merit.

Upvote 0
Its sad that people bash others because they are not good 'enough' in a game. I have no problem with new players or how well they play.
The problem is that to win in RO you rely heavily on a team play. If your team is made of noobs who don't know what to do - you will be dragged to loose for sure because of those guys. This is not CoD you know - in CoD you are on your own so you are fine if your team is full of noobs. You can handle the game for your team if you are good enough. But in RO the things are not running like that. Noob squad leaders or noob commander can only lead the team to lose, thats for sure.

They were playing it like TDM which is understandable, usually if you're new to a game you're primarily trying to survive and simply get some kills. They either didn't care or didn't understand their roles very well. Which was annoying, but is to be expected from someone new and not that invested in the game.

Totally disagree. Those guys are not kids, they are older than me. Back then we had Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Armed Assault and other tactical shooter games. The guys from the vid played RO2 like they NEVER EVER played a tactical game in their life. What the heck man?? How they even survived in Rainbow Six with such gameplay style and not knowing their role? When I started playing RO I just had to learn the controls. Everything else was nothing new to me. We are soldiers - the roles are always the same in those games. Comms, SLs, Engineers, Snipers, its always the same no matter what tactical semi-realistic game we are playing. If they can't get that - they should get back to CoD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The guys from the vid played RO2 like they NEVER EVER played a tactical game in their life.

Maybe they hadn't. Just because a game existed during their lives, even a whole genre of games, it doesn't mean they've played it. For example, I love fiddling with statistics and balancing values to best effect. I use that for wargames, particularly complex ones like Hearts of Iron 3. But I've never played any of the Football Manager games (And I'll count my life quite happily fulfilled if I never do). I play simulators of many types, particularly flight sims, both civil and military. And yet, I'd never play a train- or truck-sim. I love RPGs--actual RPGs, not "it has stats so it's an RPG!" crap--and yet I avoid JRPGs (And still get strange looks when I tell people I've never played a Final Fantasy game).

Nobody is going to get better at tactical shooters by not playing tactical shooters. Despite the horribly elitist (And off-putting) attitude expressed by many posters, there isn't a single person here who wasn't, at one point, a newbie to tactical shooters. Obviously none of you thought then that the proper response to being new to the game was to never play it.

...Though who knows? Maybe some of you should have.

Upvote 0
The problem is that to win in RO you rely heavily on a team play. If your team is made of noobs who don't know what to do - you will be dragged to loose for sure because of those guys. This is not CoD you know - in CoD you are on your own so you are fine if your team is full of noobs. You can handle the game for your team if you are good enough. But in RO the things are not running like that. Noob squad leaders or noob commander can only lead the team to lose, thats for sure.

There is always going to be people that doesn't know the game very well. I was one of them in ROOST. As a matter of fact it's something you'll have to live with: new, casual players will keep getting into the community, and there is absolutely nothing to do about it. The only thing that can be made to make things better is to be helpfull to them - unless they're playing Realism/Action mode, that said. Then, vital roles such as squad leader or commander should definitely be something that you'll have to unlock by undergoing some sort of Singleplayer tutorial level which you only can pass if and only if you learn the games mechanics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was kicked by the admin on the first Tactical Realism MOHAA server I ever joined at least three times before I realized that those console messages about not sprinting around like a hip shooting idiot were aimed at ME. And when he nicely explained why they played like they did, I went "Ohhhh. I get it. This is pretty cool actually."

We're all ignorant fools in the beginning, if we drive new players away with attitude, we deserve a small community.

Upvote 0
I was kicked by the admin on the first Tactical Realism MOHAA server I ever joined at least three times before I realized that those console messages about not sprinting around like a hip shooting idiot were aimed at ME. And when he nicely explained why they played like they did, I went "Ohhhh. I get it. This is pretty cool actually."

We're all ignorant fools in the beginning, if we drive new players away with attitude, we deserve a small community.

Hmm.. Isn't that going to far?

Obviously, its up to everyone to choose a server that suits them.. but that reminds me of crouch servers in CoD.

Upvote 0
At 1hour:48minutes:22seconds, they went prone on Fallen Fighters, fell thru a hole in the map and ended up in the sewers. Oh nice... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Overall, it was a favorable review of the game/TWI and they seemed to have fun. They definitely started playing better as they went.

I would just recommend to them that they get to know any game they review a little better before broadcasting themselves playing it. They seemed a little lost especially at the beginning and I'm guessing many people watching tuned out then...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At 1hour:48minutes:22seconds, they went prone on Fallen Fighters, fell thru a hole in the map and ended up in the sewers. Oh nice... :rolleyes:

Yeah I caught that... t'was funny and yet, I'm surprised they didn't suddenly freak out about it and start trashing the game, lol.

EDIT: Overall, it was a favorable review of the game/TWI and they seemed to have fun. They definitely started playing better as they went.

I would just recommend to them that they get to know any game they review a little better before broadcasting themselves playing it. They seemed a little lost especially at the beginning and I'm guessing many people watching tuned out then...

I found it interesting.

Upvote 0
I didn't watch it for long, but yeah 1:48 as Moe said is a perfect example of what needs to be fixed. Not necessarily that specific bug but just the overall chunkiness the game seems to have. I've gotten used to it but it's still inconvenient and annoying, and to some new players isn't something worth putting up with.

As for the recording, like others have said doing a bit more research on the title probably would've been better. For me though, I disliked the poor quality of it, and the fact that a good portion of the screen was taken up by both their webcam, and the RO2 cover for some inexplicable reason.

Upvote 0
Reading the comments I don't understand the grudge some Ro1 players have against this game, they are intent on slagging it of on every opportunity (TW sold out this game is a cod/bf3 clone blah blah blah), rather than focusing on the 100 other cliche modern shooter games that deserve such spite they choose to direct it at a games company that is actually addressing the community's issues/concerns unlike EA and Codemasters ect.

First off; how do you know that people doesn't care about this?

Do you know how much crap Codemasters and even invidual people (google Sion Lenton) there had to take?

I was a member of Codemasters OFP community. If you think the critique about RO2 is rough, then its nothing compared to what was on OFP board. Difference is that Codemasters banned ''negative'' members prior to release, aswell as blocking them from making comments on their youtube channel, aswell as using shadowbanning.

Brothers in arms furious 4 trailer at E3 received so much negative response that the developers decided to change the games IP - because the fans didn't think it deserved to be called brothers in arms.

WarZ.. do I even have to mention it? People have been literally raging against it.

CoD blackops? Read metacritics reviews.

Difference with games like CoD though, is that the title is so big that the few people that complain is barely visible. Precise, it has a very young audience, that are very unlikely to care about game politics. They buy what comes to them.

Just because other companies are doing - in some cases - unethical business - doesn't change anything in RO2. The games state still remain the same.

Personally I don't give a crap about EA anymore. Codemasters is a finished chapter - forever - for me. The only two companies I care about is TWI and BIS, at least at the moment.

Upvote 0