• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 RO2 balance - double standarts.

I doubt with the success TWI had in selling RO2 to more casual players who are happy with it's semi historical setting and semi realistic weapons they are going to swing RO3 back the other way. Those who cared about such things aren't their primary customer any longer.

I enjoy Aaz's lectures on the weapons since he knows more about it than I do, realistically though, I don't expect anything to prompt action from TWI on it. It's far too late. It does make me appreciate the efforts of the modders and devs who take such things seriously in other games.

Reactions: aaz777
Upvote 0
However as you can see that is not the case so just let it be as it is there wont be a that huge update lol so come with those things when we get ro3 until then this is just making threads which wont change anything at all.There wont be a new anti tank weapon for the germans

What do you mean its not the case. We already implemented like half of weapons that i listed, i was personally working on them for 2 years and still working. And i am not waiting for any RO3, i am pretty sure there wont be such a thing.

And why i say a few?If it would be otherwise iom would have like 10 full servers all the time.Its just the same guys complaining over and over as i said when we get a ro3 come with those points but dont think that they will change ro2 that much.

I am sure IOM would have 10 full servers if it was a standart RO2 mode from the beginning. I am sure it would even have 100 full servers. But its a mod that cannot be installed from server downloading, and it appeared for a long time since game release, most of RO1 players who bought ro2 already gave up on the "sequel".
Again, there are few right now - 4 years after release. First year after release it was almost everybody.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jeebus, I come home to this, how many posts in the last 12 hours?
Summary:
RO2 Isn't historically accurate, but that doesn't matter both factions are relatively balanced. The only major disparity is the MG42 which is somehow an overpowered gun versus its Russian counterpart MG.But this is basically cancelled out by the PPSH Level 25+.

Conclusion:
Russians and Germans, for the most part, are balanced, and any "unique" weapons or "Different Stats" are either marginal or are countered by a "unique" weapon on the other team. Rising Storm is a different matter.
End of story, no ifs ands or buts.
PS:
If you want "ultra" realism play IOM, which honestly isn't my style per se, it has some nice aspects to it, not just the new content.
Ultimately like any game even realism games, you have to decide how to balance "realism" with gameplay.
PPS:
AAZ don't start a flame war, and don't complain about this either, this is like the what, 200th thread on this?
I think it's been said, TWI screwed up a little, but ultimately, to the average player, and not the people who delve into the world of how the game was made, it doesn't matter. You can complain all you want, and me and other people will hear you, but the majority will drown out your voice.
PPPS:
AAZ, like me, we are a minority, majority of players don't even know what engine this game runs on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The movie "Enemy at the Gates" was a commercial success, dispite historical inaccuraccies. Unlike a movie, a game can be patched after it's release.

Recently, TWI added recoil to the MG42 while moving, a good thing. No longer forced walk while firing (especially with belt fed) was bad IMO. Proves RO2 can still be changed years later. For better or worse.

Upvote 0
The movie "Enemy at the Gates" was a commercial success, dispite historical inaccuraccies. Unlike a movie, a game can be patched after it's release.

Recently, TWI added recoil to the MG42 while moving, a good thing. No longer forced walk while firing (especially with belt fed) was bad IMO. Proves RO2 can still be changed years later. For better or worse.

Movies can be "patched" after release. ET changed all the guns to radios. Star Wars made Greedo shoot first instead of Han. Etc etc.

Upvote 0
Long live victory for realism, but really now, instead of complaining as like they really care. I think the best course of action would be to learn ourself to make patches and they give us tutorials to make the game better. Except, that they have to stick to a real price and also give us some credit for out ideeas, really ideeas don't come for free.

Upvote 0
Movies can be "patched" after release. ET changed all the guns to radios. Star Wars made Greedo shoot first instead of Han. Etc etc.

So RO2 needs to be "remastered"... It took 18 years for ET, and 29 years for the first Star Wars movie (not including a few interim fixing matte FX sequences). These are rare occurances, not to mention Turner colorizing B&W movies that were decades old.

Game "Patches" apply to anyone owning the title. If you have a movie DVD it doesn't magically update when a new version is released. Of course with the new digital age and cloud storage this may change because PPL won't own physical copies.

Me, don't really want to wait for the "re-release" of RO2, the patched realism version in another decade or two... or more. Especially when there can be something done NOW!

Upvote 0
What do you mean its not the case. We already implemented like half of weapons that i listed, i was personally working on them for 2 years and still working. And i am not waiting for any RO3, i am pretty sure there wont be such a thing.
You in IOM can make maps with only the realistic avaible equipment and throw out stuff like the at rifle.Im talking about the vanilla game where you simply cannot do such a thing.Not enough content,so even if there would be no mkb on map y that still wouldnt be realistic since many other stuff is missing.So it still would be unrealistic but less fun and less stuff to play with.

Upvote 0
You in IOM can make maps with only the realistic avaible equipment and throw out stuff like the at rifle.Im talking about the vanilla game where you simply cannot do such a thing.Not enough content,so even if there would be no mkb on map y that still wouldnt be realistic since many other stuff is missing.So it still would be unrealistic but less fun and less stuff to play with.

That

However as you can see that is not the case so just let it be as it is there wont be a that huge update lol so come with those things when we get ro3 until then this is just making threads which wont change anything at all.There wont be a new anti tank weapon for the germans so the anti tank gun has to be as it is in order to fight the t34 at all other option is to make it totally useless or cut it out.

... when we get a ro3 come with those points but dont think that they will change ro2 that much.
was adressed to me, right?
So i answered, i am not waiting for any new game from tripwire, its already 2 years since i am fixing the game myself with the rest of IOM team, and i am only playing RO2 with IOM. Its years since i dont play vanila, and when i played vanila, i played almost only classic mode, and it was before IOM 1,1 release. Demyansk test was the only exception.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For the most part, TWI didn't stray too far from the path. Yet where they did, steps on AAZ's grass. Read his post to see the boot marks. Don't kick him aside for posting constructive criticism.

You're wrong on this one T, most of what he says is speculation, arguing that content was added for balance reasons instead of giving players more stuff to play with, the general fun factor of having them as upgrades, development deadlines, many different reasons certainly not the black and white view that X was put into the game to counter Z. More importantly he creates balance issues for sake of argument with his bias it does not mean balance issues he talks about exist! PLEASE be more objective. Just because Aaz says "haha dp 27 sucks" doesn't mean it's true. He takes an absolute position that the game has to be 'realistic' in order to be fun, IOM has 3 variants of the same rifle, which one looks better when trying to sell a game to a large audience - 3 of the same mosin nagant with differences no average player would care about or notice, or a cool looking MKB? The fundamental problems with RO2 are nothing to do with if a gun was or wasn't at Stalingrad these are forum problems that continue to get repeated as if important. The players who populate and keep the game alive don't seem to care at all despite this HUGE imbalance that Aaz tells us about.

It's easy to say now if Aaz's suggestions were added from the start thousands would play it, but for all this talk of 'realism' there sure isn't much reality included in many of these posts - they fail to establish a target audience, fail to see how such nich

Last edited:
Upvote 0
PP: I'd have to agree regarding AAZ's accusations about balance. I'm more concerned about realism, how weapons compare to each other and their real world counterparts. I'm no expert, however I did extensive research on the MG42 to have an opinion on what "feels" right, and what doesn't.

Perks and power-ups are another matter. The MKB with scope and bayonet was Tripwires poster boy for RO2. Yea, when handing out candy there's concern about balance or the kids start crying when someone gets more (or better) then they did.

WW2 titles are not a good place to do stuff in a game only because it looks cool. Messing with history is going to get some feathers ruffled. There's plenty of arcade shooters where that stuff flies. Place an odd bird in RO2 and it's only a matter of time before some one points out the turkey. At that point consideration and discussions will be made if it is or isn't. Devs will do what they want, just don't get too carried away. Leave the AK47 for RS2.

IMO, what lost players is the majority of players on a full server will have bolt action rifles, which they could care less about leveling up (unless it was a grenade launcher attachment). read "opinion".

Most stock maps are small, favoring CQC. More arena style maps like Apartments would have appealed to the COD audience (not me). A couple Modern Warfare remakes as well. Unfortunately there's still the lack of full autos, and the player customizing that builds a strong connection between the player and their avatar.

Making weapons "real" then would have some appeal, because the mind set of differentiation is already in action with player customization, then maybe people would enjoy that TWI didn't just slap a new skin on the same gun. Of course, that's speculation too.

I don't think AAZ's suggestions would have attracted more players, just retained many RO1 players. Nothing attracts people like people. Look at the server listings for proof, no one like joining an empty server. I admire AAZ for trying to give RO2 the flavor many (read "loyal minority" ) expected. He's staying true to his own vision, without a regard of monetary gain. Yea, he's digging a niche, but its his niche.

/rant

FFS that was too much text

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO2 is the 2nd most popular ww2 first person shooter after heroes and generals.

WoT is like the most popular game about tanks.
Lets talk about its great and unique gameplay with artillery and maus, about its PERFECT balance and historical accuracy. Yes, the last thing is often mentioned by the developers, its not a joke.
Popularity of the game doesnt mean anything about its quality.

Upvote 0
I doubt with the success TWI had in selling RO2 to more casual players who are happy with it's semi historical setting and semi realistic weapons they are going to swing RO3 back the other way. Those who cared about such things aren't their primary customer any longer.

I enjoy Aaz's lectures on the weapons since he knows more about it than I do, realistically though, I don't expect anything to prompt action from TWI on it. It's far too late. It does make me appreciate the efforts of the modders and devs who take such things seriously in other games.

Exactly!

Upvote 0
WoT is like the most popular game about tanks.
Lets talk about its great and unique gameplay with artillery and maus, about its PERFECT balance and historical accuracy. Yes, the last thing is often mentioned by the developers, its not a joke.
Popularity of the game doesnt mean anything about its quality.

"Quality" is subjective. What you define as quality isn't everyone's definition. You do have to ask yourself why people play those games. Must be something good about them.

Upvote 0