• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Availbility

origination

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2010
I wasn't sure how to word the title, but anyways I just want to know how RO2 will be available this time around. As far as I am aware RO1 was only available via steam. I would like to know if there are plans of a retail hard copy available this time around. Currently my paypal account is totally FUBAR after it was accessed without my knowledge and now there is a negative balance. Paypal won't take of it for me claiming it looks like normal activity and I refuse to pay for it.

Anyways, if there will be no copy available at retail stores, then I need to know now so I can get a new pre-paid credit card set up in my name sometime before the release of Heroes(plenty of time left I know), but I want to be prepared to buy a copy on release day.

Thanks.

Cool I did not know that RO1 was available via hard copies. I assume it was still steam dependent? I never heard about RO until a couple years ago and at that point I purchased it off of steam. I will definitely be looking for a box copy of RO2 as I have come to loath steam. Hopefully it will function independently of steam as well.

Upvote 0
I certainly would not be opposed of the idea of the new RO being independent of steam. I am not saying it should not be sold on steam, as selling it on steam is good for publicity(getting the word of the game around). However I see no reason why the game should require steam to be played, especially if you buy it separately of steam. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
I certainly would not be opposed of the idea of the new RO being independent of steam. I am not saying it should not be sold on steam, as selling it on steam is good for publicity(getting the word of the game around). However I see no reason why the game should require steam to be played, especially if you buy it separately of steam. Just my opinion.
Surely you can't deny how important Steam has been to RO's development and growth. I think it's pretty easy to say that if it were not for Steam, there would BE no Red Orchestra: Ostfront. Hell even Ramm essentially says that in his audio interview with PC Gamer.

Steam = a huge outlet for sales with no packing/shipping/middleman retailer costs. The developers get to keep a much larger percentage of profits than through local retailers.

It's just a no brainer for TWI -- abandoning steam integration would be like shooting themselves in the foot.

Reactions: Hans Ludwig
Upvote 0
... abandoning steam integration would be like shooting themselves in the foot.

Yet, allowing the game to be run independently of steam after the user has already purchased their copy, retail copy I mean, would not have any effect at all. I am not saying the game should not be available via steam, just saying that if you buy a physical copy of the game you should be able to choose if you want to use steam or not.

I'll buy the game either way of course.

Upvote 0
I am no fan of steam either, but that has more to do with the way they price their games over here.

I used to purchase a lot, but now only if there is no other way of purchasing the game

but gamingwise the platform is great. all updates are applied automatically, the friends system is easy for joining in on games.

it really evolved over the years and is getting better and better

Upvote 0
I am no fan of steam either, but that has more to do with the way they price their games over here.
If You live in Australia STEAM is brilliant (especially ATM with the Aussie Dollar hammering the Greenback....our GFC rocks the rest of You's Sucked dogs bollocks big time;):p:D)...retailers over here charge like wounded bulls and even when the GB was strong We still made a saving (until Act-N0-vision wised up....bloody pikers)....So all hail STEAM and the rest of You's.....get Yer economies sorted out....and BTW hurry and release the game so I (and other Australian peoples ) can make a killing on this saviour of PC gaming....You know it makes sense:IS2:

Upvote 0
You guys are missing my point. I am simply saying I would like to see the game have the ability to run independently of steam. That is all. What do I mean by that? With Red Orchestra Ost front you COULD NOT run the game at all unless steam was on and you are logged into your account. So simply put, have the ability to run without steam loaded, but not the necessity.

I don't see why it would be a big trouble for valve to allow people who bought the game on dvd to activate their CD-Key on their steam account and then gain access to the download as well. That way you have your physical copy and digital copy.

No big deal either way, just saying theres no reason why the game shouldn't be possible to load without steam on if they should choose that road.

Upvote 0