• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Anti-cheat

also one thing ive noticed through many years of gaming is one key factor hacks cant stop is latency issues ! all hacks cause ping spikes ! why no one has worked on this is beyond me.

A great many things cause ping spikes - prolly best not to use that as a method of hack detection or everyone in the world would get banned.

Upvote 0
Yay for no admins and even more processes running in the background!

One of those people who has hell with pnkbstr. The login servers in BF:BC2 anyway, getting dropped from those for no reason other than the servers suck is hell in a shooter.

But, onto the important questions. Those being, will any of the programs interfere with each other? Also, what is system performance like when they're running? Keeping in mind that all three of them work by scanning the list of current processes and comparing it to a blacklist. Useless for new hacks, but good for the old script kiddies.
So I think the main question is, is it possible for all three of them to be running at the same time, and what will happen if they are.

all hacks cause ping spikes ! why no one has worked on this is beyond me.

Well Punkbuster causes lag spikes for me. In BF:BC2 it was even worse. EA login servers would do a check to see if I was still connected, which would cause a ping spike, which would drop EA login servers, which would trigger punkbuster for "packet interruption" or some such and drop me from the game.

If I'd actually been permanently banned for that.. Well, you can imagine what kind of email the companies would be receiving. Fortunately I think they can too. Lag spikes != hacking. Could just be badly designed netcode, someone could start up a radio and interfere with a wireless connection, a login server could do a check, Windows UAC could trigger. If you're running an antivirus it might see an odd file, scheduled defrag might start up. Firewall could get a false positive that ddos attack is happening and momentarily shut you down.

All sorts of things can go wrong which can cause a ping spike. Punkbuster will kick you for that, but it won't ban you.

Upvote 0
Indeed, if you dont do that you cant expect them to start detecting them. If they dont even know about them how could they detect them?

Just going to point out that your antivirus program works in exactly the same way.. :p
Blacklists are a horrible idea, simply having three of them doesn't do much to improve matters. Giving each server an extra invisible spectator spot that an admin can use (admins being able to play whilst kicking people does a bad job of catching hackers and also has the problem of power abuse) and putting admins on servers makes for a wonderfully secure system. Sure, people will cheat, but they'll be caught and instantly perma banned.

Unfortunately people are lazy so blacklists it is.. Which will easily be exploited continuously by people who are also lazy. Just so long as the blacklist programs don't interfere with each other, should be ok.

Upvote 0
A radio? What's a radio? :p

Besides......whoever uses WiFi to FPS-game needs a kick in the ***......seriously! :cool:

I'm getting highly disturbed by quotes like this. Other example is "how can ppl play on low-end PC's".

Can't you just get that some people are financially not able or un-able because of their location so they have to use low-end PC's or wifi connection.
Despite everything that doesn't make those players more... inferior and they need to be taken in account too.

For me, this VAC and PB will be... interesting to see. I like the fact that there will be an option only for one of them or both, combined.

Cheers.

Upvote 0