• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO-Zavod (screens)

hehe odd, i have yet to actually finish a ut2k4 level ;) I took a break fram mapping after I started uni and then picked it up again start of last summer and started making textures and smeshes around then too. RO-Zavod is the first map I'll actually (will) have finished though.
I hope the 2k4DM look isnt putting anyone off ;)

And yes, i promise to optimize the map ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thanks to both of ye, good to be here ;)
Nestor, i use atleast 3 lights for most lamps. One very strong near the source, another with wider range but lower brightness and then one that i set brightness to 1 and lightradious to 128 and use as corona so that it will be visible all the time.
the blueish ceiling light in the sshot got another lightactor near the ground to give it spotlightish feel :)

Handy tips - I'm gonna enjoy implementing them on my maps and seeing the result.

Upvote 0
Here are a few more shots. Alot of work has yet to be done here as i'm using interior textures for the exterior of the buildings and there are a few floor textures i have yet to begin working on but for a map in beta, you outta expect a few placeholders ;) Also, alot of detail meshes missing cuz i have yet to begin work on them. My main concern atm is to get a working playable version out to you guys so i can get some feedback :)

I got to make a small interior section and then rework the final objective building, then tweak some lighmaps and what not and then itll be ready for beta (no bot support in this one)

wip12tb3.jpg

Front yard, seen from the attackers pov.

wip13tx3.jpg

Showing the bottom floor the attackers can take to gain access to the center building.

wip14wx2.jpg

Another view from the front yard with one of two possible access points to the bottom floor

wip15qw3.jpg

And another bird perspective shot showing the front yard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
gasp! you want to steal it for your mod, dont you?!? DONT YOU?!?!

:) I really had not thought of that - I just automatically offer Worluk's services for everything just to wind him up.

But, now that you mention it....... Drev, ever considered having Romanians rather than Germans in there? :p ;)

Actually, although some Romanians are supposed to have fought in the city of Stalingrad itself, I don't think there were that many and not in any of the main factory areas. Though I could be wrong - it certainly has been known.

This map is continuing to lead the way in terms of how to make a nice industrial environment buuuuut...

/action gets out nit-picking tweezers: Drev, what is the prupose of the tall window bays in the roof? I just ask 'cos Soviet building design was usually pretty brutally functional when it came to factories and so on. 'Letting in pretty moonbeams' as a function probably wouldn't have justified these windows' inclusion to a panel of grim-faced commissars :) More likely that, if not a plain tile or flat concrete roof, it would be glass panes all across.

Another small architectural point is that AFAIK Soviet and even present-day Russian builders usually use either metal or, in some cases, concrete frames to support pipes and conduits, rather than solid blocks of concrete, which would be very impractical. I believe you can see an example of this kind of structure in both Krasniy Oktyabr and Stalingrad Kessel.

You can see an example in the background (behind the bridge) here: http://www.redstarblackcross.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=11&pos=19 - this is taken from the real Krasniy Oktyabr Zavod in Volgograd.

I am guessing that these are some of the details that you mentioned about adding.

On the whole, what can I say about this map? except 'Wow!' :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looking better every time Drev.
I know it's an early stage to say these things, but I shall say them nonetheless :)

In your last picture there was a HT burning in a confined space. These kind of elements make the map look "gamey" => less realistic. A map begins to look and feel realistic when every object has a logical reason to be there. Placements of sandbags and vehicles etc etc etc should all be related to "the story you want to tell". Sandbags should be placed so they have a real defensive position etc.

Not trying to lecture here, just saying those are the things in a map which do it for me => matter of taste. It makes me wonder if I'm playing a game or if I'm in the second worldwar.

Greetingz, Monk.

Upvote 0