• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO-Zavod (screens)

before i get into this, it's not a historicaly correct map. :) I got two months to make this map and i realized quickly that i wouldnt have time to realisticly and historicly (spelling? :eek:) recreate a scenario from russian front, with all it means in terms of reference material and research, so i sort of went another direction. I looked at some russian factories but I also looked at abandoned buildings and factories in general (such as availabe at opacity.us or abandoned-places.com) to gather influences for the look and feel of the place. The actual design of the factory is purly based on what I think would make a really interesting battleground to fight it out in, RO-style.
I figured, either i go all the way with realism and historically correctness or i simply do whats reasonable for me in 2 months and focus on good gameplay in a "general" ww2 russia setting.
With all that said, you guys giving me this feedback is awesome as it fills in on some of the research I never had time to conduct and small details I quite simply will never realize, and i expect even more of this after you playtest it. =)

Nestor, when you say "glass all across" do you mean that the actual ceiling would be made out of glass? The actual function for the moon-beam windows was initially to give the guys holding the center building a big advantage and have them go up there and snipe and pretty much have total battlefield control but i quickly realized that it would be realy unbalanced. I based that room on this picture:
http://www.opacity.us/image3486_walk.htm I think it has great scope at the size and giving the feeling that in the end, you're just a tiny person in a gigantic industrial room. I russified (yes, thats a word! Russifie = make more functional and stripped down=)) it a bit to make it look less pretty and artistic than in the picture.
I'm sort of into the idea of making a ceiling entirly out of iron bulkheads and dirty glass. That could be neat but we'll see. I really love the moon beams so whatever i do i'll try to work around the design to give the windows function rather than removing them.
The support for the pipe is a big placeholder that i figured i'd leave in for the first playable beta :) We'll see tho, its not a very hard model to model or uvmap so maybe. In the final it'll surly be replaced. Its really hard to get something useful out of the picture you posted tho (its tiny!!!:)) but i'll look around for reference myself. Lemme know if you run over any other pictures with good reference.

Monkwarrior, you're probably right. ;) The main reason i put it there is for the whole area to have a lightsource and add in some cover for the attacking team. The "story" behind the map is something like, german attacked and seized the factory and the battle that is now taking place is the russian counter attack. I don't know tho, again: The focus of this map has never been realism (tho I of course try to make it look like a real place) so the story isnt all worked out. Mainly out of time restriction, but i am in no way making excuses for the map. For me its purly about gameplay but the thing you mention there isnt a big issue and so I can easily change it and I'm not dead set on a mission to make an unrealistic map so dont keep thoughts like this to yourself if you haave any more. They're more than welcome and I'll take care of as many things as possible :)

Upvote 0
The opacity.us site is very interesting and I think could be a good source of inspiration for many mappers. The guy's thing seems to be abandoned and derelict buildings - he would love Russia :)

A dirty glass ceiling, covered in snow, with moonbeams coming in through random places where the glass is smashed would prolly work.

There is another photo here which I think typifies Russian factories in a state of decay (i.e. pretty much ALL Russian factories) and may (or may not) provide some ideas as to how to give limited 'sniper nest' cover of the rest of the map. Bear in mind, though, that the use of this kind of pre-fab technology (i.e. using concrete slabs like Lego) is very much a 70's thing - the general design, however, is far more dated.

I do not mean to intrude on your map-making process but, like a lot of people who have an interest in map design, when I see something that's shaping up to be a very good map, I want to see it heading towards what I would see as an ideal. If I get too intrusive, simply say 'back off' or whatever, I would understand and could just about take it :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I never say "back off" to anyone who would auctally help me make a better map. I am the mapper, but the important thing is the map and how it comes out. If somebody can help me make a better map I welcome the help :)
I really like the glass/snow ceiling idea! Definatly gonna try that out but probably after the first playable beta :)
After the beta is done i can get into making it look more authentic but i just wanna know the actual gameplay works first.
And again, all feedback (be it good or bad) is welcome. I dont have a huge ego, i just wanna make a good map that people will play and i realize that the best way to get there is to listen to people. :)

Upvote 0
Digged this side up and it offers a lot of old European industrial architecture.
Used them on an earlier COD map i made. Forgot the side but digged it up for this topic.

A lot of prewar stuff and there won't be many difference in prewar Soviet or German architecture. There must a color pic side somewhere to. But red brick was very common.

The link

http://www.hfinster.de/StahlArt/index.html

Upvote 0
So the plan for the playable beta yeasterday failed big time. Had to rework a few areas.
Here's a pic a corridor in a cellar made just tonight. its comming, people. :)
wip16dw4.jpg

Upvote 0
The map is now content compleate for beta 1. I gotta fix bot support and the odd thing but art wise its done for beta 1 (with that said, i still got alot to do on it, visually:)

To celebrate here are the first ever ingame shots (using defult bloomsettings so they're EXTREMLY too-bright):
shot00001iy5.jpg

shot00002xc8.jpg

shot00003qs2.jpg

shot00005bp9.jpg

hope you enjoy em, and monk: You'll have a fully playable beta with botsupport the 18th for your lanparty. I promise :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dev, it covers the entire lamp - just not the entire lampscreen :)
if it would cover the entire lamp wouldnt that mean the lamp is EXTREMLY reflective? I mean... its in a warzone, where does a clean lightscreen fit in? i dunno. when i made it that didnt make sense for me so i went with this.

Edit:
bleh on you, it looks better if i up em a bit. gotta remake the texture used but thats a quickie. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0