• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO-Voronezh: Official Thread

Pistachio,

Thanks for the support and the encouraging words! I am happy to hear that you love the map.

I'm currently working on Public Alpha 7.0 (the version on the RTR server is 6.0) and hope to release it early next week to the RTR clan.

The change log is about a mile long, and as part of the revamp I have definitely revised a few of the player loadouts in an attempt to balance the play - not to mention enhance the historical aspects of the setting.

As it stands now, the map is pretty unbalanced in favor of the Russians and that's going to be fixed in the next version (more objectives, objectives will be closer to the German infantry spawn, etc).

Keep your eyes peeled!

Upvote 0
Welt,

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to import your StuG skin into my map yet. Apparently, it's a far more complex process than I realized that it would be at first. Some of the more experienced people in these forums have corrected me in the error of my ways. :)

Silly me, I thought that I could just drop the texture into the MyLevel package and all would be well. I guess you have to create classes (or subclasses) in a variety of areas of the vehicle packages, and this involves a good knowledge of coding. None of which I know about at all...so your brilliant skins sit sadly unused on my desktop. I hoping for the day when I can get some time to research how to get it into the game on my own, or perhaps some brave soul out there in the RO community might want to take up the challenge and get their name on my map as a co-author. ;)

Upvote 0
The subclassing doesn't require much coding, few lines here and there, I could help you with it if you want:)

please take him up with the offer!

The map looks absolutely gorgeous! I cant believe how good it looks!

I'm really looking forward to seeing this scale from rural-urban style combat.

That should be fun, at first more emphasis on tanks and then more emphasis on infantry!

Upvote 0
I REALLY like this map! Jst by the looks, it seems to be my dream map!

Few suggestions however:

Since the new Panzer IV G - the one with side skirts is coming out! Implement that one in there!:)
Also, the SU76 isn't there! I believe that was early war tank, so if you please? :eek::eek: :)
The sunset bothers me, I liked the mid-afternoon look....

Either way, I'll probably playing that map a lot. It looks, and sounds so nice! First open field, then urban warfare! Niceley done!

Upvote 0
I just played it a couple of times. I played the afternoon version. Some things I noticed:
-nice admosphere
-only one object, this needs to change. Maybe first the an AT gun emplacement or an forward post.
-when you lay down you dont get that symbol that your gun is stable
-PLEASE GET RID OF THE PANZERFAUST
-T60's are almost invisible in this map (due to the grain)
-the long driving towards the object (for germans) is a bit useless. Make an object between it.
-I noticed an grey soldier at the German base or that artillery point
-did I already mentioned that this map looks great?
-this map is boring for most of the Russian infantry, they don't have anything to do.
-tanks don't come in range for the PTDR's
-snipers don't have good points to get their gun stable
-I like the music (katyusha) again in an Russian village

The map looks good but needs some gameplay changes.

Upvote 0
I just played it a couple of times. I played the afternoon version. Some things I noticed:
-nice admosphere
-only one object, this needs to change. Maybe first the an AT gun emplacement or an forward post.
-when you lay down you dont get that symbol that your gun is stable
-PLEASE GET RID OF THE PANZERFAUST
-T60's are almost invisible in this map (due to the grain)
-the long driving towards the object (for germans) is a bit useless. Make an object between it.
-I noticed an grey soldier at the German base or that artillery point
-did I already mentioned that this map looks great?
-this map is boring for most of the Russian infantry, they don't have anything to do.
-tanks don't come in range for the PTDR's
-snipers don't have good points to get their gun stable
-I like the music (katyusha) again in an Russian village

The map looks good but needs some gameplay changes.

Hi Sander,

Thanks for your feedback and comments. I'm working feverishly to try to get the next version released by this weekend, my school schedule permitting. I try to take everyone's comments seriously when making changes, but ultimately it has to be my final vision that gets put out there for all to enjoy (or not). I'll try to address your concerns here:

- Mid-Day vs. Dawn version: perhaps I'll release a fully supported mid-day version at some point, but for the time being I'm sticking with the Dawn lighting, although this will be tweaked somewhat in the upcoming version in order to improve visibility.

- Another objective is gong to be available for the upcoming release: a forward Blokpost located near the crest of the hill that the Russian Infantry will need to hold against the German infantry (whose spawn has been moved forward). The entry to the objective cap area will only be permitted to infantry, and the tanks will have to fight either offensively or defensively around the perimeter of the obj.

- I'm not sure why the gun-support symbol doesn't show up. Maybe the height of where you're to trying rest your weapon isn't high enough? I'll look into the height of fences, window ledges, etc. and try to fix this.

- Faust will be gone in the next version. In fact there will not be a PaK soldat role for the Germans. I did increase the number of Assault troopers (MP40's and MP41's) though. I've contemplated giving the PTRD to the German PaK soldiers too, but decided against it. You guys can change my mind if you think that the Germans need the anti-tank rifle.

- T60's in the wheat. I did this on purpose, and you'll notice the StuG is tough to see in the grain too - and it will get tougher with Welt's camo skins :). Tank's were concealed in real life in brush and wheat stands. Historically, half of a brigade of T60's took part in the defense of Voronezh, and for realism purposes I'm leaving them on the map.

- Long drive. Hopefully the new objective will take care of any concerns here.

- Little Gray Guy. He's my scale actor friend and he'll disappear eventually from future versions. ;)

- Bored Russian infantry. Hopefully the new objective, along with the future urban objectives will keep them busy.

- Tanks out of PTRD range. Again, the urban objectives will remedy this situation. Also, really clever tank hunters CAN - and DO - get kills on the current version, if they're careful to pick a good spot in the village or in the wheat. Maybe I'm a horrible tanker, but I have been blown up by Russian hunters with the PTDR while roaming the village.

- Snipers will love the urban setting coming up in future versions.

- Katyusha! My favorite tune of the era :D

Thanks again for the comments, I really appreciate them. Hope to see you around the servers playing on the future versions.

Upvote 0
Give the Germans also used captured PTRD a lot. They were called by the German forces as the PzB 783(r) (weird that other mappers didn't used them.
http://www.geocities.com/Augusta/8172/panzerfaust6.htm#ptrd

About the symbol for a steady gun, I have this when I lay down. Normally you'll get the icon white but this time it isn't there (also had this on other custom maps).

Upvote 0
I have some disappointing news to report, especially to you guys out there who are fans of the alpha version of this map, and were looking forward to a newly updated version.

I've made the very difficult decision to suspend work on this map for the time being (though not permanently) so that I can focus on completing a CA map for the December deadline of the "Deep Battle" phase of the RO map contest.

Voronezh has been a labor of love for me - and was my first map of any kind, for any game - and will certainly not be forgotten or abandoned. I just came to the realization that there is STILL way too much work to do on this in the coming month and half to make it a real contender for the contest. I still have alot to learn about the editor and level design in general, and there's not much time to wrap it up and turn in a final product in the short time remaining.

I would certainly understand if RTR or any other clan servers decided to remove the alpha map from their rotations until the next version is released (whenever that may be). Sorry guys :( I really appreciate the support and feedback I've gotten from the RO community about this map. It'll be back...I promise.

On the brighter side of things, I will be posting screenies and a description of my late war-based CA map later this evening. This is already so far along in the development process that I feel confident enough to release a BETA this weeked. Stay tuned...

:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kabex,

I had absolutely no idea that this was the case. Thanks for the info! That's such a shame, because I think the F1 is so cool looking. Oh well, I'm willing to give up aesthetics for the sake of realism, and better game-play. That's what RO is all about, isn't it!

Currently, I have two Panzer IV/F1 generators on my map. I'll remove them tonight when I get back down to business on the map. I do have one T-60 in the map, but I don't think it justifies having the F1 in there. My 3 Pz III-L generators will remain, however.

Speaking of aesthetics, isn't the color scheme of the F2 in RO, dunkel gelb, or something like that? Was that scheme around in the summer of '42 when my map takes place? If not, do you know if anyone is working on a panzer gray version of F2, that I can add as a mutator?

Thanks again for all of your help!

ps. I can't wait to see this level on a server, but it still needs ALOT of work. Contrary to my previous estimates, I don't think a BETA is likely this weekend. I would be willing to release an ALPHA version with just the first objective, if there is any interest out there in doing so.

Have a great weekend, y'all!
yea it looks ok the map, but i will have to see what hardwear you put on the map:p if its ok we put it o the FKR tank server, the best tank battle server there is :cool: and if the guys like your map you will be a hero over night:D

Upvote 0
Hey Stiner and Strider,

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I thought it was gone and forgotten (for the time being).:)

Anyway, as I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, I have put this project (RO-Voronezh)on hold while I work full-time on my winter map, RO-Sterlitz, which I am hoping to enter in the mapping contest in mid-December.

If you happen to see RO-VoronezhA60 running on a server, then please be aware that this was a VERY VERY rough, unfinished version of what I eventually want to do with this level once I finally get back to work on it. I know that it was running on RTR's combined arms server #2 for several weeks in October, but I don't know if it's still rotating out there, or not. (Thank again to RedEye and the rest of the crew for giving her a good test drive).

Here's the link if you really are curious to check it out:

http://files.filefront.com/RO_Voronezh60rar/;6021035;;/fileinfo.html

But I'll say it again, this version of the map is not something you want to judge as a final product.

Happy hunting! :eek:

Upvote 0