• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO Troubleshooting (BSOD, GPF's & reboots)

Resonator

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 19, 2007
Spokane, WA USA
If you are having random General Protection Faults, Blue Screens of Death and/or reboots while playing RO, I would suggest you try the following FIRST:

Run a good memory tester on your system!! I would suggest MemTest86+ or the original MemTest86 from http://www.memtest.org/ or http://www.memtest86.com/.

I'd been having issues recently running RO and receiving random GPF's, BSOD's and reboots myself. Most of the BSOD errors have been STOP 0x0000008E errors occuring with different modules, but particularly with nv4_disp.dll (Nvidia display driver file.) I followed the troubleshooting documentation provided here with no success... uninstalling and reinstalling my video drivers helped a little, but not much. Renaming the redorchestra.ini & user.ini files and validating the cache resolved the GPF issues I was having, but I was still getting Blue Screens.

Running a memory test however, I found that my memory module had gone bad. I've been running a clean install of WinXP SP2 for about 8 months with no problems with RO or any other games, but it turns out the module had issues around the 510 MB range (it's a 1 GB stick). I had tested a couple other games that had worked previously and had experienced crashes and BSOD's with them before running the memory test, which clued me in this wasn't just an issue with RO.

So what was really happening was the bad RAM was causing crashes with RO, as well as corrupting the video driver files and RO files as well. I bought the memory module probably close to 2 years ago now, and had experienced no issues with it, but this does show that memory CAN go bad over time. I hope this information might help someone troubleshooting issues with RO and general game crashes.

By the way, sometimes Windows XP has duplicate device drivers (particularly for display adapaters & monitors) that do not normally show up in Device Manager. Please refer to the article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539/en-us for information on how to display "ghost" or "phantom" device drivers so you can uninstall them all so you can get a clean reinstall of your video drivers. Duplicated device drivers can also cause all sorts of problems and errors in Windows!

Good luck!

Res

Ctd

Ctd

S!,
I recently built a new system. All parts are good and the system runs my other games great. However, I'm having trouble w/ RO & DH. I keep getting a GPF. Any ideas based on this:

Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]
CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 3215 MHz with 4094MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (9187)
General protection fault!
History: PostStepAndDestroy <- KWorldStepSafeTime <- KTickLevelKarma <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=3) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level D-Day - Omaha Beach <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

System
Windows 7 64bit (latest updates)
AMD Quad 955 BE
G.Skill 1333 4gb
Nvidia 260 GTX (191.87)
Gigabyte MOBO (latest bios)
Seagate 500gb HDD 7200rpm 16mb cache
Audigy sound card (latest drivers)
Samsung SyncMaster 2ms

Thanks,
HB

Upvote 0
RO Problems

RO Problems

Every time I try to launch RO I get this error

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2612 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (1041)

Error setting display mode: CreateDevice failed (80070057). Please delete your RedOrchestra.ini file if this error prevents you from starting the game.

History: UD3D9RenderDevice::UnSetRes <- CreateDevice <- UD3D9RenderDevice::SetRes <- HandleBigChange <- UD3D9RenderDevice::Lock <- UViewport::Lock <- UWindowsViewport::Lock <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free
HELP I deleted the RO.ini and user.ini and nothing it happened when I changed res I also tried reinstalling.

Upvote 0

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 2095 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: Mobile Intel(R) 45 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1) (1749)

History: APlayerController::execGetPlayerIDHash <- (CinematicGame DHIntro.CinematicGame @ Function Engine.GameInfo.PostLogin : 0369) <- UObject::processEvent <- (CinematicGame DHIntro.CinematicGame, Function UnrealGame.CinematicGame.PostLogin) <- ULevel::SpawnPlayActor <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

this is the message i am receiving any help would be great thanks.

Upvote 0
im having the same ****ing problem and i dont see anything on to making it work!? you posted days ago and still nothing solving this problem?!?! nice job tripwire nice job
Post your error.

My guess for the previous poster would be that he didn't read the minimum system requirements. Looks as if he's playing on a laptop with an onboard video system. iirc, onboard graphics aren't supported. At any rate, the Mobile Express chipset is notorious for crashing during gaming.

He might also try looking for updated video drivers from the laptop manufacturer (as opposed to the Win drivers).

Upvote 0
I just downloaded RO on my desktop and i keep getting the GPF after a couple mins of game play. This never happened on my laptop. I have tried everything on the following website: http://www.29th.org/dh/index.php?title=Crash_Fixes

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2207 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS (6658)

History: Integrate <- ProcessPartitions <- KWorldStepSafeTime <- KTickLevelKarma <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=3) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Leningrad - January 1942 <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

Upvote 0
after a couple mins of playing the game shuts down. this same type of thing also happens with my other game Rainbow Six Vegas 2.

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2207 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS (6658)

History: RenderLevel <- RO-Danzig.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Danzig [Gdansk]

Upvote 0
If it is happening with more than one game you should probably check that your cpu / graphics card isn't overheating, that your drivers are installed correctly, and check your disk for errors and/or verify your game cache through Steam. Unfortunately there isn't really anything obvious that I can see in that error report.

Upvote 0
If it is happening with more than one game you should probably check that your cpu / graphics card isn't overheating, that your drivers are installed correctly, and check your disk for errors and/or verify your game cache through Steam. Unfortunately there isn't really anything obvious that I can see in that error report.

What drivers should i check? I'm not sure on how to do that.

Upvote 0