• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics RO:Tactics - Strategic team planning tool (download)

Idea

Idea

I have not downloaded this yet, and read through things, and noticed that you will be working on a new version (bigger and better) and thought of an option that may be a little far out there, but could add a dynamics for specific purposes.

The ability to change view point to address terrain and line of sight.

Like when deciding to set up a sniper position, being able to go into a point of view mode from that location to briefly show what the line of sight would be.

Or when placing a tank in position, what will it look like for angling purposes, is the hull truely down there, etc.

Just a thought/idea. If possible?

Upvote 0
Someone mentioned using the SDK to allow capturting imagess of the maps.

With alot of new maps out now, can someone explain a bit better as to HOW to use SDK to mod the maps to take images with?

Read through this post:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17699

Cordite gives an excellent tutorial on how to do it. This is not the way I captured the images for ROTactics, but it IS how I will do it for the next version. I just went into practice mode and used a few console commands to get my shots but the quality and detail is not nearly as good what you will get with Cordite's technique. His method gives awesome results.

Upvote 0
hey there

does rotactics support win vista?

some sort of bug appears when u use o'shannons icons in an online session. not his but some other icons show up instead. any chance to have it fixed?

cheers
Luc

Do you have the error message handy, or better yet a screenshot?
I recently got vista on one of my home pc's so I will have a look soon... just need a day off ;)

Upvote 0
Do you have the error message handy, or better yet a screenshot?
I recently got vista on one of my home pc's so I will have a look soon... just need a day off ;)

no error message.

the problem is that as soon as the host drags the arty or smoke symbol onto the map everyone else in the season see's the MG symbol....

on other thing... could you allow the guests to drag the icons onto the map too?

Upvote 0
Ro Tactics never worked with the multi-person thing. Never was able to connect to anyones server. Just had a long "please wait". I'd like to see this nice tool working for me.

In most cases this problem is due to firewall/router issues. Try making sure the two necessary ports are forwarded and that you have any firewall software either disabled or set to allow communication by the program on the ports.

Ports that need forwarding:
TCP 49278
TCP 49300

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Any updates planned for this tool.

The auto updater doesnt seem to work last time we tried.

Would really like to see the latest custom maps bundled with RO included. Please :)

Hey Steven.

Yes, big updates planned in the form of a completely new application. The project is underway, but I am not able to show much at the moment.

The problems with the auto-updater should be resolved soon. Some changes with my web host have led to some problems that are being looked into, but everything should be back to normal shortly.

I haven't really planned on doing updates to the current version, but in the case of new maps the amount of work needed isn't all that much so ya I will try and get those maps added and updated asap. Once complete, if my web host is still having problems I will get a mirror up and will post the link in here.

Take it easy (& tell DTP sup for me ;))

Upvote 0
no error message.

the problem is that as soon as the host drags the arty or smoke symbol onto the map everyone else in the season see's the MG symbol....

on other thing... could you allow the guests to drag the icons onto the map too?

I'll have a look at the icons.

One thing to check is to confirm that everyone is using the same version. In some cases people using different (old) versions are able to connect, but some things like icons and some other functions may produce odd results. If everyone is using version 2.1.7 (have everyone check the lower-right corner) - you shouldn't have any trouble.

As for guests accessing icons - the icons are implemented as part of the host features and changing that over would take more time & testing than I think it might be worth. It is possible, but I'm trying to devote the majority of my time to the new version which will improve on all that stuff anyway.

Upvote 0
Can't update from Version 2.1.1...

Can't update from Version 2.1.1...

I found out about this great tool earlier today, found a download online and downloaded what ended up being Version 2.1.1, now I CANNOT download the latest version! I found the home website, but no go. When i open my older version i get a window saying a new version is available, I hit 'yes' to download the newer version, but immediately get this error message:

Run-time error '75':
Path/file access error

I can still use the earlier version, but I sure would rather have the later one! Any help/ideas for me? I am using VISTA, and have tried it with virus/ firewall on as well as off.

Thanks alot,
20.PzGr.Bernhart

Upvote 0
Vista seems to be a problem. A couple of my guys are using Vista and it doesn't work. even tried registering the VB runtimes on the machine but no difference.
It's worth a though that it could be possible to run this through the .NET upgrade wizard and it might fix the problem and give as a solution for Vista.

Bu this would be up to the devs of this excellent software :)

Upvote 0
Vista comes with .NET framework 2.0 & 3.0 as integrated components so it should have everything it needs already as far as runtimes go. The types of issues you are seeing I think has more to do with security permissions in Vista. Try right-clicking the ROTactics Launcher icon and choose to run as administrator. This *should* give it the permissions it needs to change and delete the files necessary for the update process.

If that does not solve the problem, try the following:

1. Manually download the latest .exe version here (overwrite the existing old version of ROTactics.exe): ROTactics 2.1.7

2. Open "v.txt" in the main ROTactics folder, and manually change the version number to "2.1.7" and save.

3. You're Done!

Launch the program normally now and it should come right up without prompting for any updates.

Upvote 0
btw Steven, sorry I haven't forgotten about the maps. Actually to be honest, I had gotten distracted working on the new version until someone just reminded me the other day. I hope to either add them in an update soon, or will be ready to release the new version and will include them there.

I will post soon with more info.

Upvote 0
Most connection issues are related to port forwarding. For more info on port forwarding in general I would recommend http://www.portforward.com. They have a lot of useful info and tutorials on the subject.

The ports you need to forward are:
TCP 49278
TCP 49300

Something else you could try is opening two instances of ROTactics on your computer. Set one to host, and try to join from the other one on your local IP. If that works, the problem is almost certainly firewall and/or router related. Setting up port forwarding should take care of most of these problems, but software firewalls (windows firewall, zonealarm, etc.) and some anti-virus programs can interfere as well. Try disabling them and try again.

Hope that helps... if not lemme know and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0