• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics RO:Tactics - Strategic team planning tool (download)

Great program, but got a problem

Whenever I host a session no one can see the lines I draw (no one else can draw as well).
The screen flashes yellow to indicate someones drawing, but no lines.

We can see Gun and Shield icons but thats it.

The program does crash quite a bit as well :\

Any ideas what going on?
If someone else hosts are you able to connect and draw normally?

Off-hand it sounds like a port-related issue. The program uses two tcp ports; one for drawing/erasing and the other for just about everything else (including icons). The drawing problem you describe sounds as if the port that handles the drawing messages isn't sending/receiving packets.

Make sure TCP port 49300 is being forwarded to your computer in your router settings, in addition to TCP 49278.

Several people have also reported antivirus/firewall software getting in the way. In some cases these programs prevent the ROTactics sessions from connecting with the host at all, but they could also be responsible for the things you're seeing. I don't remember what software those people were running... I think Dev was using Kaspersky if I remember correctly. Anyway, if you have any of that software running, try disabling it temporarily and try ROTactics again. I have tested with Norton AV and AVG without any problems, but I can't say about others.

About the crashing, make sure everyone is using the same version. Beyond that, do you happen to remember what the run-time error # or message is? Or what happened right before the crash? Like did it crash right when clicking a certain button or right when trying to draw?

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions or updates, or if you happen to have a screenshot of the errors you are seeing, feel free to email me directly at [email protected] and I'll see what I can find.

Upvote 0
is it possible to indicate on screen who is curently drawing? We have sometimes problem with discipline when using this :) also some times we have problem that it is not possible to draw even in case nobody is drawing (looks like somebody hold the button but nobody is holding... )

EDIT: I just noticed that this suggestion (lock who can draw) was done before

I have one more note... is there a chance to add non-free hand drawing?... for example straight line "from point to point"

Last note: this tool is extremly useful... it made possible to understand, for 10 people, same thing same way :) and make it with half time :) 5 stars for programing this

Last edited:
Upvote 0
O'Shannon, thanks very much for the input and your work on the additional icons, I hope to work some of them in soon. The undo idea is a very good one that I would like to do, but it would involve restructuring the some of the back end stuff. Doable, but time consuming... we'll see.

man its good to hear that . thx ... two thumbs up ;)

Upvote 0
is it possible to indicate on screen who is curently drawing? We have sometimes problem with discipline when using this :) also some times we have problem that it is not possible to draw even in case nobody is drawing (looks like somebody hold the button but nobody is holding... )

EDIT: I just noticed that this suggestion (lock who can draw) was done before

I have one more note... is there a chance to add non-free hand drawing?... for example straight line "from point to point"

Last note: this tool is extremly useful... it made possible to understand, for 10 people, same thing same way :) and make it with half time :) 5 stars for programing this
Thanks a lot for the kind words Milk, the situation you describe has been my goal for ROTactics all along! :D I know it can be a bit quirky at times, so thanks for your patience :)

Good suggestions by the way.
I have seen the issue with the frozen map - like someone is holding the button down. It has been tricky to track down exactly where/when this happens, but seems to almost always be when multiple people are drawing or trying to draw at the same time. The admin lock feature should help prevent this, but it is really more of a bandaid than a fix, so I hope to find a more permanent solution down the road a bit.

So yes the lockout feature is still planned. And I agree with you about the line tools. I have always wanted to add those in, and it is absolutely doable. To be honest, my biggest obstacle at the moment is time. Many of these features aren't really that difficult - they just take a lot of time to code and then test as thoroughly as possible before releasing. But I promise I haven't disappeared and will continue working on these things :cool:

Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay everyone - but good news! 2.1.6 has been released as of about 5 minutes ago!

No really huge changes for 2.1.6, but finally got around to adding two of the most requested features that have come from you guys.

First one is a line drawing tool. I know I know, MS Paint has had this since like the beginning of time, but hey it's new for ROTactics!! Click point to point to draw line segments, double-click to complete the line.

Second addition is an admin lockout button which prevents everyone except the host from drawing on the map. The map border will turn blue for everyone when this is enabled.

Other than that there are just a couple minor bug fixes, but nothing really noteworthy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a related note, I would say that I will be working on more features shortly, but to be honest I think this will likely be the last 2.x.x version of ROTactics. I will still update with any new official maps that are released, and will still work to fix any errors and/or bugs that are found in 2.1.6, but beyond that I will be directing my time instead towards the next evolution of ROTactics.

My intention with the next "generation" is to expand on just about every aspect of ROTactics - bigger and better in every way! It will have a more streamlined design and user interface, increased functionality, be more user friendly, more flexible and more dynamic... if all goes well that is :D

In the meantime please don't hesitate to let me know about any problems you have with the current version and I will do my best to resolve them. I will certainly keep you all posted on the progress of the new version as it happens so keep checking back!:cool:

Upvote 0
Excellent :)

We love this program and hope you guys continue to support it.
Thx Steven! Continued support is definitely planned, either for this version, or for a new and improved version that I hope to release at some point. :)

>FIR< CoMuNisTa said:
Hello!

I love this program and my clan has been using it! Many thanks...

2 of my clan members got a problem tho.. Somehow they aren't able to see anything under "Other" in the bottom right corner fo the screen. So they can't host or connect to anyone.

Does anybody know how to solve it?
Haven't seen that problem before Comunista. Don't suppose they are running 800x600 resolution are they? If that's not it, could you have one of them send me a screenshot? [email protected]

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Haven't seen that problem before Comunista. Don't suppose they are running 800x600 resolution are they? If that's not it, could you have one of them send me a screenshot? [email protected]
Thanks!

Hey vr6r, I totally forgot this topic, sorry.

The problem with those 2 guys were probably cuz they installed without unzipping all files first, cuz when they did reinstalled with files unzipped they managed to make it work.

Thanks a lot for the program, again. May I suggest something, I think some have already suggested it, but being able to step back and forward using windows default key comb (control+z and control+y) would be trully awesome.

See you.

Upvote 0