• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics RO Tactics for Newbs...

After posting to another thread in here it gave me an idea and actually something more to post. Tactics.

Now those that play with me know I'm a very vocal player (Voice Chat) in game but believe me my vocals are 99% of them time tactical and are for the benefit of the team and of course for the overall goal of winning. The other 1% is disgust with the team and stupidity in general. Most of what I say in game will only benefit any player for increasing their scores and becoming an integral part of the team for future battles in RO and is to help those rookies, newbs, noobs or whatever. I will also give play by play from within a zone to help players get to that zone and inform them what is going on there. Now people you have to remember when I say ZONE it's a small area and doesn't cover the whole damn map.

One night I kept yelling telling folks where the same 5 Veterans were and how we got there and it's funny how the veterans can die and almost seem to literally walk right back to ANY ZONE from spawn in seconds but yet the other half of the team is simply lost or have absolutely no clue?

Then you have people saying well I JUST DIED going where you said. Well lets see? It's not always easy and I never said you'd NEVER get shot at (The maps are quite expansive folks), and yes you can get picked off from the other side of the map.

I've played this game for years and I know who is always beside me or who will join me in just about any zone by names on the list. You all know who you are and I thank you for your support.

I spend about 90% of my time in the cap zones and I must remind everyone I will ONLY use the bolt action gun - except tank maps or if I run totally out of ammo. (Yes it is a single shot ONLY for those rookies).

People always wonder HOW is it that MOST of the TOP SPOTS are occupied by rifleman (Bolt Action) because WE are ALWAYS CAPPING. The game is simple and there are 2 GOALS in game. CAPPING and DEFENDING.

Now this post is not toward the veterans and all the veterans know who they are and they know who I am and so on, so lets keep it civil and informative so that any noobs, newbs, rookies or what have you can improve while playing on a PUB server.

Sure it's a game, and so is football and hockey and so on, but do you think teams enjoy losing??? You have that kind of attitude on the field you are simply asking to have your arse beat.

Now most that do use Voice Chat are trying to help so don't interfere with those trying to help, sure if someone is talking about vacation or something outside of the scope of the game feel free to tell them to shut up.

Ok, now finally moving on. First and foremost DO NOT BLOCK DOORWAYS, DO NOT CRAWL UNDER YOUR TEAM MATES, AND ALWAYS SINGLE FILE through a doorway, this is a good start.

Second folks the key to capping is CAPPING. Getting in the ZONES. You get 10 points for doing so, it's a TEAM effort, regardless of how good some of us veterans are you can RARELY if EVER cap a zone ALONE.

Now SQUAD LEADERS LISTEN. You are the MOST IMPORTANT person to capping you count as like 3 people in ZONES by yourself, SO GET IN THE ZONES. Also if you DIE, you cost a few more % of reinforcements toward your teams loses. So if you have no clue or never get into zones DO NOT PICK THIS ASSET.

There are 3 types of maps in game, Offense, Defense, and what I call Seesaw (Back and Forth). Know and learn your maps, study the maps and use the ingame map to find zones and when someone says RIGHT or LEFT that means from spawn toward the zones.

Now on OFFENSE, REINFORCEMENTS mean NOTHING to the offensive team, this DOES NOT mean just keep running like lemmings into a machine gunner or arty strikes. The reason for this is the maps are TIMED, you have to CAP EVERYTHING to WIN and usually not in a great amount of time. You hardly run out of reinforcements on offense, sure it happens but only due to complete stupidity. I call it Moths to a light. When everyone says arty RIGHT, everyone goes RIGHT??? I can't explain this one, but it simply racks up there as plain STUPIDITY. This holds true when your own Commander or Squad Leader says "I have arty coming RIGHT" then the whole team goes RIGHT??? Folks JUST LISTEN!!! The map will also show you where arty is coming from your team, AVOID IT.

Next: Unless it's a SEESAW type of map, examples: Basken Valley, Barashka, I even think Arad, to name a couple, others can post the others that fall into this category.

A SEESAW map is one that can go either way and the ZONES can be RE-CAPPED and EITHER team can win by CAPPING them all in succession or have more caps and reinforcements when time runs out. This is a REINFORCEMENT type of game and who owns more and has more reinforcements in the end WINS.

DEFENSE is the other, the exact same thing holds true here as well, GET IN THE ZONES. SQUAD LEADERS once again, most important. The key of course is knowing what your team is supposed to be doing per map. On the defense side REINFORCEMENTS and TIME are EVERYTHING. To name a few of these would be Leningrad, Stalingrad Kessel, Smolensk Stalemate. You do your team no good if you are NOT in the ZONES or at least killing something. At a certain % of reinforcements the TEAM has to fall back, certain maps require this. Stalingrad and Smolensk are fine examples. You have to fall ALL THE WAY BACK at a good 15-20% and simply let the other team come to you.

Now a big problem is folks have a tendency to want POINTS, it is what will put you on top, so capping is what people do. But folks Stalingrad is one that has a SEESAW in the beginning, the key is DO NOT WASTE all your reinforcements trying to constantly get the Warehouse back, it's fine when you are on Defense if your reinforcements allow it meaning that you have more than the Offense, once this dips lower you have to fall back and let them come to you. This is one of the biggest maps based on both reinforcements and time for the defensive team and for the offense one that the reinforcements means NOTHING because you can ONLY win by capping everything and time rarely allows for you to just clean sweep the defense.

Last but not least what I call PLAYING HERO. Yes I use this a lot. People will get into a given zone then the meter starts moving in your teams favor. Once this meter is moving your team has more than their team in ZONE. STAY DOWN, STAY HIDDEN, PERIOD. Once it's capped then go crazy. You'll see this especially on Konigsplatz. You have 8 guys laying behind a hill and you start capping and that one guy has to look up over the hill to try and get that ONE extra point and bingo PICKED OFF!!! Now you have 7 guys in zone having to wait for a single guy to spawn and get back to zone. Before that lone guy can get back all 7 are killed by a single frag.

The worse display of this was the other night on Pavlov's House. We were capping and I screamed DO NOT PLAY HERO. We almost capped and missed by less than a hair, because one guy had to step out of the room we were in with a pistol into a hall way with a machine gunner and BINGO he was killed and the time ran out with less than a hair left on the meter for the WIN, we LOST due to that one guy playing HERO. I said this in my other post PLAYING HERO = 0...

So people if you want to increase your scores just follow some of the things mentioned within this post and what others may add and you'll notice your name near the top of the list in no time.

I almost for got to add. People RESUPPLY. You can resupply your Machine Gunners, (The big guns)... Use your G key to do so by default, it shows up on your screen when near him and it will first say Needs Ammo, the closer you get then it will tell you Hit G.

Every time you die you can RESUPPLY ONE time ONLY, unless you keep going back to a RESUPPLY area and going back to your machine gunner and do it again over and over. A RESUPPLY point on your map is the RED Circle with the Minus sign in it, you'll hear a noise when you've gotten resupplied, you can do this for all of your weapons. You get 5 points for doing this (Resupplying machine gunner that is), and if you play DH you get this for RESUPPLYING the Bazooka as well, DH point system might be a bit different though.

So I hope this thread will help out some of the new folks just joining us and help keep those from constantly YELLING on voice chat about GETTING IN THE ZONES. This will help make the PUB servers a happier and stable place to play.

See you all on the battlefield. Maybe we'll see some of you newbs, noobs, rookies, near the top of the list with the rest of the veterans.

Last edited:
Thank you for this post as it will help me out.

I tend to stick with the capping and not the killing in this game. But if I see a German shooting at me, I will gladly toss him a bullet; no extra charge.;)

Hope I can find a server you and me can play on. Add me, I'll accept the request.

Thanks again.

-e- You're from PIttsburgh, too? Damn, a lotta forum users must live there.

Upvote 0
We have our own DH server that you can practice on anytime with bots and maybe real folks if we could fill it up. Make sure you download and install that, it's a great mod. It's still beta but will be released real soon. Our server is called 2Manny's DH(2.0)Customs Heaven -

99% of the time I'm in TWB Old Glory 50 Players East Coast for RO and just about every night from 8PM EST on except Wednesdays... LOST baby.

I know my post seems like a lot of sarcasm etc. but it truly will help out folks if they simply follow and listen to most of it. All the veterans will appreciate it too, the more the merrier in the zones that's for sure. I do my share of killing too but the cap is by far more important...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would like to add a few things.

1. Never take the same route twice if there is heavy enemy resistance.
There are typically many different routes to take, do NOT run right back in to the same ambush that just got you killed.

2. Campers are the easiest players to kill in RO.
How hard is it to kill an enemy that you know exactly where they are at?

3. Never stay in the same place after killing someone when you are on defense.
See point #2.

4. Never throw nades ahead of friendlies or inside areas where friendlies are likely to be.

5. Momentum is a very good tactic.
Stay with the group and keep pushing when your on offense. On defense, control choke points so the enemy cannot build any momentum.

6. When you are defending, DEFEND!
Do NOT run at the enemy, do NOT attack the enemy, do STAY in the capzones and cover likely entrances.

7. When defending cover all entrances and/or areas. There is really no need for 8 guys to cover one doorway and leave 3 other doors without cover.

8. Cover your teammates. Maybe, just maybe they will return the favor and cover you.

9. Aim your shots, yes there are some players that can make accurate hipshots at 30ft.
You will be able to do that after you have played for many, many, many hours. Until then, aiming is your best bet to be effective.

10. If your not a very good shot, do not hang back any longer than it takes to replenish your stamina.
You will be a great shot someday, until then we really need you in the capzone.

11. Group together with teammates.
Stay close enough to able to support each other, but far enough away that one nade will not kill everyone. This provides a mathematical advantage that wins almost every engagement.

Obviously these are just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Upvote 0
12. If there is a friendly MG setup somewhere, try to avoid to run in front of them or cross their line of fire. I cant stress this enough. Worst if you try to crawl to them and resupply and you go too close to them and suddenly they get bumbed out of a good position they where in.

13. DONT YOU EVER just jump in a tank that stands there, is angeld and drive it somewhere else. There is really nothing more anoying than that. Just jump in and be mg for a while to see whats going on, if hes engaged in a fight ect.

Upvote 0
I have to disagree with Jim's #2 and 3, but just a bit. I have been very very successful many times by finding a good defensive spot and sticking near it. Now I don't mean like I have grown roots in that location, but if I am defending a building, I might switch windows occasionally. If I am in a window, I will duck down every so often for 5 or 6 seconds which is usually more than most players attention span and they look elsewhere. Outdoors, I will shift right or left depending on cover, but not by much if I am being sucessful. Players are not always aware of where they are shot from.

Of course, Jim is right if on occasion I keep going to the same window and getting popped right away, then that would be my stupidity. I guess it is more of knowing when to stick with it, and when to move on.

I have to strongly agree with #6, it is very rare when a team playing defense should counterattack. Too many times reinforcements are lost when they are precious, and are better left defending a capzone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good additions gents. I heard from a bunch of folks last night while playing about this thread and I guess it's getting pretty popular so keep up the posts guys.

With much of what Jim says I agree with most and definitely with everyone else. I for one am a very revengeful person, so if you kill me you can bet I'll be back to get you, nothing satisfies me more than getting you back. This would tie into constantly moving suggestion, most veterans will be back. Another key is to wait before moving and this is because the death cam in some servers allow a player to see around them for about 5-10 seconds, so the key is wait then move but of course before the enemy returns.

Also remember a lot of teams or players are using voice chat. The whole team will know where an enemy is especially if they kill me. The warning will go out, so for people that always wondered how the heck did he know I was there? It's simple the whole team probably does with voice chat.

I've also put myself in the other players head and humans are more predictable than you could ever imagine, so think ahead of where or what that player is going to do next.

As far as what Black said about the tanks is a huge one. DO NOT EVER MOVE A TANK, especially if someone is already in it and engaged. This is the most annoying by far. Folks (Newbs, Noobs, Rookies, others). EVERYONE gets the points while within a tank, this is what makes tanking a really enjoyable TEAM experience. If you get in with a good driver, machine gunner, and turret guy you can rack up tons of points, by capping and killing. So remember the more in the tank the better. Sure it also helps the other teams better tankers get more points when they kill you but it at least puts everyone in the battle.

Everyone always says "Get out of my tank"... First off it's not yours, second if you all work together you can succeed. Some folks just do it to purposely piss off the tanker (WHY???) - idiots period. If you enjoy playing on a server why screw it up, you can end up with many friends from this type of game, and most players are willing to help, sure you may get some sarcasm but sooner or later you'll get a good answer.

Another thing forgotten use NP it can be capital or lower case and all you have to do is type it on the screen the same way you type chat in game. What NP does is allow you to FORGIVE someone who has accidentally killed you. Most servers have this enabled and this keeps those who should stay in the game, in the game. Accidents do happen, if it's on purpose and you know it was, just DO NOT type it. Once the person reaches a set number he'll be KICKED, SESSION BANNED, BANNED. Depends on the server.

KICKED = you can actually get right back in but now you've lost all your points

SESSION BANNED = you can not return until the map changes, so if it is best of 3 you could be out for a while, especially if the teams tie.

BANNED = This is not good and you usually have to go to the servers web site and plead for your return, and this may mean you may NEVER play on that server ever again.

Another thing if you get killed by Arty 99% of the time it is your fault not the guy calling it. They will usually shout out where it is and you can hear it coming, so check your map and run if you have to. Calling arty is not as simple as folks think, accidents do happen here too and it can fall short. Use the NP for this situation.

I'm sure more will be coming, keep it up guys.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This ties in with what Clown and Jim have stated: when entering a sensitive and contested zone, use voice communication to alert your team of this fact. Specifically, tell them NOT TO NADE the zone. And make them aware of any routes that could be open for reinforcing the contested zone.

Also, when on defence, take care of your sector's troop levels - i.e. shout out if you definitely need more men, and - more importantly - if you need an MG in a specific place. It might be difficult at first to properly assess the situation and decide whether you decisively need the support, but you'll get it right in the end. Remember, you must be aware of the entirety of your team, and asking for an asset in one location, denies the same asset for a different location.
Key here is knowing where the most contested zones are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mr Moe, I was not very elaborate in my first post. In regards to point #3 I was meaning to stay in the same area, just not the same physical spot for to long. I will stay in one spot for one full wave if I can, then shift a bit within the same area. On point #2, I was speaking to those who stay in the exact same location typically are easy to kill as you know exactly where they are at. Again I should of been more descriptive.

I would also like to support what others have said about voice communication. Communication is the most important advantage I have found in game. It helps me greatly to know where support is needed on the map, where the danger zones are and etc. This is what provides every player with situational awareness. I cannot count the number of times I have been on a team that just dominates a map due solely to good communications. I will list what I have found to help communications.

#14. Call out enemy locations in brief descriptions.
Example: 3 enemy rifleman left flank. Example: enemy tank 50M southwest of first line.

#15. Ask for help if you need it.
Example: Need help right flank please. Example: Enemy tank at Flak 88's, request assistance please.

#16. If you can assist then respond.
Example: (after hearing request for left flank) Proceeding to left flank from spawn, be there in 10 seconds. Example: (after hearing request for tank support) 85 In route to 88's.

Granted everyone has a different style so I would like to emphasize the importance of being polite, to the point, and informative to assist in greater communication. What I.Kant posted about communications is very relevant as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can I also add a tip on defending?

Unless you are defending a choke point where the enemy has to advance straight into your line of sight, do not lay up facing towards the enemy's advance. You just become an easy target for a good marksman.

Try and lie up so that there is hard cover between you and the direction they are attacking, but in a way that you can fire out at a shallow angle in front of the line your team is defending.

The number of times I have seen a German team on Konig Platz all lined up clearly silhouetted on the top of a ridge trading kill for kill with the Russians.

Remember you should always be looking for a way to make a fire fight as unfair as possible. So if the enemy has to advance from behind cover to try and shoot you, while you remain hunkered down all the better.

Upvote 0
Well , i was away from RO for about a year , came back a few days ago , i have to say that the nicest moment was in a public server (Wild Bunch) were someone took the responsibility of leading the troops by comms on Odessa , most of the team who could understand English (orally , for many it's not always easy ) followed his advices and it was really a great "welcome back to RO " moment for me , great teamwork that i enjoyed .

IMHO when the guy who uses the mic and give advices knows what he's doing , i think it can be really good , that night the guy on comms easily made 1/3 of the victory for the team by making us coordinated , funnily enough i can't remember his name , but i wish there were more like him who try to plug in their mic and lead the team on public servers

Last edited:
Upvote 0