• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map RO-PartisanForest

OK - Final version is now released. It is currently playable on the Core EU Server.

The file below contains standard .rom map file as well as the .uz2 compressed version for quick installation on server redirects:
http://ut2004.wickedpenguin.com/files/RO-PartisanForest.rar

Final Changelog:
* Lighting adjustment: Added some more light on the approach to the bunkers. This is in response to people's complaints that the Germans were simply disappearing into the black, whereas the Russians tended to be fire-lit due to their proximity to the fires.
* Reduced time: Reduced the map time to 12 minutes.
* Even reinforcements: Both sides now have equal reinforcements.
* Cap Zone Size: Reduced the cap zone size for the main camp and moved it further back, to allow the Russians to hold it longer.

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Beta 5 Changelog:

* Re-adjusted lighting: I've reduced the radius on all the lights within the map, so you no longer should have the "lit soldier standing in a black area" effect. What this means, also, is that the map is now darker than it was in the areas not directly near a light source, since the light travels less. Let me know what you guys think of this.
* Optimization: I've added in some underground BSP and some anti-portals to help with network traffic as well as occlusion.
* Minefields: I've adjusted the minefields on both east and west sides of the map. I moved the minefields and adjusted the map borders to make a cleaner, more natural dividing line between playable and unplayable terrain.
* Further terrain tweaking: Smoothed out more rough points on the grounds.

Beta 4 Changelog:

* Added additional cover for the German approach to the Eastern output
* Added some more interior detail
* Gave the Germans 25 more reinforcements
* Lots more cover on the approaches to both outposts

Beta 3 Change Log:
  • Reworked terrain leading out of 1st Russian spawn
  • Made it so you can shoot through tents
  • Added more cover inside the tents to compensate
  • Added more details to the camp site - more furniture, cover, etc.
  • Added more trees and bushes for cover
  • Boosted the volume/radius on the "Lizaveta" sound loop (I keep humming that melody... lol...)
--------------------------------------------------

Zetsumei and the Core Clan servers (CoreNA and CoreEU) have been extremely supportive for the mapping community. They've been an RO staple since early in the mod days and are here to stay.

They currently have this map in rotation and many many other customs available on their servers at
: 8.6.193.203 (CoreNA) and 213.19.130.152 (CoreEU).

A note on darkness: The map is set at night, in a forest, under an overcast sky. There is very little light. The only illumination available is through the firelight, breaks in the canopy, or vehicle headlights. This means that you will have some trouble seeing and identifying friend from foe. Please be patient and realize that everyone else has reduced visibility as well.

Use silhouettes, use firelight, be certain before shooting. It can be like hide and seek with bolt action rifles. :)

--------------------------------------------------

This map started out as an experiment with creating a static mesh for a forest canopy. I was talking with FlashPanHunter and UncleDrax about it, and wanted to see if I could make one that would look decent but be low-impact as far as FPS.

Once I put it in the level to see how it looked, an idea came to me for a quick map that could test the concept fully. So here goes:

Scenario:
In the film "Come and See", part of the film takes place in a Byellorussian partisan camp deep in the forest. While there is no action there in the film, this map is an account of what would happen if the Germans launched a surprise night raid on a camp of that nature.

Time:
Nighttime. A lot of people have been wanting a night map, and a lot have been wanting a forest map. Here's both. :p

Layout:
There will be one central camp, and a pair of lookout posts on either side. Once the Germans cap the lookout posts, the central camp will be unlocked.

I played this just now. It was...interesting. The new darkness dynamic is good fun and a refreshing change, but having to wait around next to blazing fires as Allies isn't such a great idea. ;)

Perhaps a better system would be to split each cap zone into two concentric areas: the outer ring is dark but open, whereas the inner ring (well, circle) has plenty of cover but is bathed in firelight. That would create the need from tactical thought for both attackers and defenders, as you wouldn't realistically be able to defend one area from the other.

Upvote 0
I played this map in one of its beta stages....I really liked it. Unfortunately I didnt take note of the name of the map though... I kind of assumed I would come across it again on some server, but have never had the opportunity.

Havent had the chance to play it since. But now that I have the name of the map again, I will look out for it.

Thanks, Really enjoyed the Betas, I Looking forward to trying it again in its final glory.

Upvote 0