• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO-Orel-88vs76_2 - Allies nerfed a bit too much

Those who play on servers like FK #3 and RTR tank maps know Orel maps well. I noticed FK #3 added new version of Orel called Orel-88vs76_2. In this version Russians lose Clown car while Axis still keep their half track. Whoever is the author of the map should strongly consider at least giving russians the new allied troop carrier(added in recent patch). If not please remove half track on axis.

EDIT: added after more playtime:

1. Author removed clown car on Russian at main spawn, replaced it with 2 Kv1s, while Axis don't lose Half-Track and gain 2 more tigers(bringing up the total to 4). While stug is removed at Axis main spawn, they still get it at the hangar spawn.

2. Author removed both clown cars at Russian hangar spawn *BUT* did not replace this loss of vehicles at hangar spawn with any other tanks or vehicles... *THIS IS SERIOUS PROBLEM* because with 15-16 players and when russians spawn at hangar there is now less vehicles(the extra kv1s are only added at main spawn). Remember, Axis still get half track at both hangar and main spawns, while russians are nerfed at hangar spawn.

Last edited:
Well it was harder to finish the russians off but they never really looked like winning when i was in that game. They managed to keep South Lake for longer than normal i guess.
well yea 2 times they did take all the map over they could have won 2 times i have no idea why:confused: if you dont have good team work you will always loose

Upvote 0
Is RO-Orel-88vs76_2 the same as the Orel-"october update" on map orchestra?

(To the devs: What do you want me to pay cash or something so I can post without being censored? Why was I even banned without warning to begin with? Was it my Merry Christmas sig? Are you atheists or something?
The only thing you are accomplishing with your immature behavior is driving away a potential buyer of any future games that your company might make. Could I get a written response at least?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Agreed Karl, team work is everything on that map. There were some very good tankers playing russ but as you know on that server, the guys that usually pick german are decent players who communicate well.
I think I joined halfway thru the penultimate round and from that point russ never really threatened. (Not suggesting that's on account of me joining, i hasten to add)
They never held the all the heights, at least not for a length of time, and we can't have been struggling that much cos ppl on voip were chatting about stuff like what their grandfathers did during the war lol.
But agreed it was a good game and took effort to win. At least the numbers were even, that makes a difference. I played Ger cos i cant resist the PIII, even on a large map.

Upvote 0
There are more serious problems with RO-Orel-88vs76_2:

1. Author removed clown car on Russian at main spawn, replaced it with 2 Kv1s, while Axis don't lose Half-Track and gain 2 more tigers(bringing up the total to 4). While stug is removed at Axis main spawn, they still get it at the hangar spawn.

2. Author removed both clown cars at Russian hangar spawn *BUT* did not replace this loss of vehicles at hangar spawn with any other tanks or vehicles... *THIS IS SERIOUS PROBLEM* because with 15-16 players and when russians spawn at hangar there is now less vehicles(the extra kv1s are only added at main spawn). Remember, Axis still get half track at both hangar and main spawns, while russians are nerfed at hangar spawn.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
except for the fact that the 88vs76 version, and the others that seek historical accuracy, are just better game play-wise as well. no fantasy armor load outs. :D

Hiya Heinz...

Nah.... I mess only with Slashbot's work.... all the other versions are ... well "bastardized" as far as I am concerned. Mainly because his original work was "trespassed upon" without his permission. That is/was wrong. I cannot, no matter how much I try, condone such actions.

From when I was a little tyke, (days of horse drawn milk wagons and fresh vegetable peddlers), I was taught to respect the rights of others. I guess ya can't teach an old dog new tricks. ;)

Upvote 0
As much as I love the additional Tiger tanks it does make for a rough go of it if you're on the Rus side.

Going outside the bounds of historical 'reality' (as if we aren't already pushing the limits) why not up the ante a little and give the Soviets an IS-2 or two in their loadout? Make them spawn at rear, like the Tigers, and watch the sparks fly as the Dinosaurs square off across the river at 1000+ meters! Of course, if we ever get to a point where we can field more than 16 players per side Orel would be the ultimate armor map to date.

That being my flight of map insanity for the evening, I think my favorite version is still the Orel 88vs76 with the Tigers instead of the Panthers.

Upvote 0
Played on this map yesterday.
4 Tigers are a little bit too much to handle. To those, who always play as Germans: usually, when Russian tanker encounters Tiger, he shouts about its location and other tankers (if they are good) DON'T go there. They try to flank instead. Example:
-Tiger at WF, on a little hill, right flank
*2/3 guys go central and pound the hell of the beast

Now, on this map it just doesn't work: "-Tiger at CH! -Also at WF! -Two tigers with some pz4 at EH!" How the hell should Soviets penetrate this full front of Tigers, which goes from the left side of the map to the right side? In 88vs76 (my favourite tank map) Germans had 2 Tigers, which were really strong, but they couldn't be everywhere at the same time. Now they are strong AND can be almost everywhere. There can be one Tiger at 4 objectives out of total 7 at the same time. This is just not right. To those, who don't understand me: imagine Soviets had 4 IS-2 on this map, while Germans had only Stugs, pz3 and pz4.
Yesterday we lost because of the time limit, we had WF, SL and, I think, EF also. Very rarely we were holding CH. And that's only because yesterday's German team didnt have any decent Tiger crewman. I can only imagine what will happen if in every Tiger will be sitting experienced crew of veterans..
Also, usually the reinforcments are quite equal, right? Germans have 86%, we have 85-84%. But yesterday Germans had 70%, while we had 59%. It's the first time I see such ownage - russian tankers died like rabbits while trying to do something with the Tigers. However, we put a good fight. :)
But I think with the removal of BA map has a more "tanker" feeling, although I will miss this little guy, I had lots of fun driving it to north bridges, while under fire of 6 tanks. :)

Upvote 0
I don't think Slashy had a problem with it though, right? Am I wrong on that one?

Slashbot was a gentleman and overlooked the transgressions when he returned from China and discovered his map Orel had been raped.

How in heavens name could he have a problem with it when it was done without his permission while he was away on an extended trip to China?

By the time he was aware, the raped version was in deep circulation. His having a "problem" with the map being raped at that point would have solved nothing. Kinda like the cow was outta the barn... the damage was done etc..

I personally feel Slashbot did the right thing by taking the high road.

Every Mapper should (C) copyright their work and demand that nobody touch a thing without written permission from the original author.

But in reality, his taking the high road does not in any way condone nor relieve the trespassers of responsibity for their disrespective, abusive and irresponsible actions of having done so without permission.

To trample the rights of others is wrong. Very wrong.

Upvote 0