• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Mga | Beta 3

This update has been a long time coming, as in "near-vaporware" amount of time. RO-Mga was the last map I made for the RO:CA mod and then I ported it over to Ostfront. I released a Beta 1 of it, started work on Beta 2... and then life got in the way.

As some here know, I went off to become an Air Traffic Controller. It's been a whirlwind since then. You can read all about that journey on my blog, but as time went on I got pulled back into RO. I'd missed the action and the fun that this game offers. It's still by far my favorite FPS.

A week or so ago, I cracked open the RO Editor for the first time in a long, long time, opened up RO-Mga, and said "Let's finish this...". So here's the new version.

Anyways, I think this'll be the last version before the - oh my goodness - FINAL version. :)

Download LinksHistory

The map represents a historical battle that took place on August 29th, 1941 where the Germans siezed control of the train station in the town of Mga. By taking that rail station, they cut off the last lifeline to the city of Leningrad. The moment that station fell, the Siege of Leningrad began and 900 days of misery ensued for the Russians trapped within the city.

Now, while the battle was real and I did find some historical references relating to collective farms and churches in the area of Mga, I was unable to find any clear reference materials for the battle plan itself. Therefore, the resulting map's layout is fictional. There were Kolkhozs, ruined churches, and a train station in the area, but my layout for them in this map is wholly fictional.

It's also partly inspired by my desire to see some kind of "castle siege" map in RO. I based the church off a reference photo I'd seen of a church in the Mga area and proceeded to build a wall around it.

Beta 3 Change Log
  • Increased cover for Germans on approaches to the church
  • Increased cover for Russian on approaches to Kolkhoz
  • Added several defensive points around church
  • Added spawn protection for Russian church spawn
  • Added MG role for Russians
  • Added sniper role for Germans with scoped K98
  • Added two semi-auto roles for Germans with G41s
  • Modified cap zones for both Kolkhoz and Train Station to favor the Russians a bit more
  • Added more detail to train station building interior
  • Added more detail to the Kolkhoz interior
  • Added a pair of small minefields on the route to the train station
  • Fixed several buggy emitters
  • Decreased grass size
  • Removed moving textures from wheat fields to aid framerate
  • Added ammo resupply points
  • Increased detail and cover within the Train Station tunnels
Things I've considered adding:
  • One vehicle per side, type unknown. I've really wanted to see the Stug III used in its role as an assault gun, but I do think the map is too small to effectively use vehicles. With a couple rounds of HE it would effectively decimate the Russian defenses. To counter it, I'd have to use either an SU-76, a T-60, or even a BT-7 or AT gun from one of the mods. A PTRD wouldn't cut it.
  • Artillery to one or both sides, probably 1 or 2 salvo for the Russians.
Images

Shot00250.jpg

Shot00251.jpg

Shot00252.jpg

Shot00241.jpg

Shot00244.jpg

Shot00245.jpg

Shot00248.jpg

Shot00246.jpg

I worked on that. I moved the 2nd Russian spawn back to the train tracks, and expanded the church's capzone slightly beyond its walls to balance things. That way the Germans can actually be up against the walls and still capping, which would force some additional action from the Russians. In addition, the Russians' new 2nd spawn area allows the Russians to actually retreat to the train yard without racing the Germans there.

Upvote 0
Will try it out in a bit and test if the framrate has improved for me ^^.
Sadly for this map the mod BFE performance can't be taken from my mind that easily :p

Whats next Aksay? *hint* *hint*

Yeah, that BFE thing is what I'd call a "human factor".

If people play honorably - i.e. don't park an MG-34 10 feet in front of the other team's spawn like Lemur and his crew did, hosing people as they spawn - then there should be no problems. While, yes, the map could have had more spawn protection (and it does now) that kind of behavior would have ruined ANY map. The mere fact that they got away with it without intervention was what soured BFE for me.

There are numerous maps out there that have relatively "open" spawn areas, such as Basovka or Hedgehog. Just the other day I was playing Hedgehog and some idiot from the German team parked an HT in front of the Russian spawn and proceeded to hose us as we tried to exit. But, unlike Lemur and friends, that fool actually listened when the Russian team *****ed him out.

As far as Aksay... man, I don't know. If I remade that map, it would be done far more realistically. Much flatter terrain, easier to navigate for the tanks. I have some ideas for other things, like a map that would match up infantry with assault guns (Stug, SU-76) so that the Stugs could be used for their original purpose, as infantry support instead of tank destroying. But that's for another thread... :cool:

Upvote 0
Yeah, that BFE thing is what I'd call a "human factor".

If people play honorably - i.e. don't park an MG-34 10 feet in front of the other team's spawn like Lemur and his crew did, hosing people as they spawn - then there should be no problems. While, yes, the map could have had more spawn protection (and it does now) that kind of behavior would have ruined ANY map. The mere fact that they got away with it without intervention was what soured BFE for me.

I didn't want to mention that all I really remember about Mga is this stuff you listed. I don't think this new version will wipe my memory clean, but I hope it can add a bunch of good memories. No pressure on that though.

Any chance you can CC or MN or DH this so it can be included in one of these mods?

Upvote 0
WP was making Fallen Empire which shipped in our first release, he never really finished it though, so the public version is still in Beta, as is the rest of the mod. :)

So WP, any chance you can throw a Greek Orthodox cross on that church and call the map El Mga? Or maybe instead of wheatfields, have the map take place in the middle of the Nile?

Just trying to synergize the concepts and proactively consolidate the paradigms, or something.

Upvote 0