• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO makes my gaming skills worse! :)

BeserkWraithlor

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2006
Arizona
This is not a rant thread, but more of an appreciation to the developers of TWI for making a fantastic ballistics system that changes the gameplay completly. When there is a guy running, and you shoot him, you will Surely miss. Instead, you have to aim several feet in front of him, and he will run right into the bullet! :D The bullets in RO feel like bullets, not invisible laser beams. Instead of pointing and shooting like any other FPS, you have to time or predict your shot, to see where it will go. Thanks for adding a kickass realistic weapon ballistics and bullet drops! The better I get in RO, the worse I get in Counter Strike.

I began to play Counter Strike lately, and I have a habit of using the guns in the same way you do in RO. Bad idea. In Counter Strike, bullets travel at lightspeed, so you will ALWAYS hit a person at any range by simply pointing. So I use the RO way of aiming, and I coudn't hit anybody! The shooting feels more unsatisfying, because all you need is ultra fast reflexes more than skill. I can't go back to Counter Strike anymore.

I just wish other games were like this. The more fun I have with RO, the less I have with other games.

Last edited:
And with a high ping you have tyo aim another 10 feet infront ;)

Which is a huge check mark in the negative side effects column for ballistics. That's why I stick to servers with 120 ping or less.

And as far as RO making you miss in other games without ballistics, I think that's a bunch of rubbish. I switch between RO and CS:S daily and I have no problem. It's pretty easy to realize in CS:S that you don't have to lead them. The two different games have two different feels, one shouldn't really conflict with the other.

But every player is different I suppose.

Upvote 0
lols i like ro so much because it presents a true challange. in most of those "reflex" games, like css or warlock. you win by reflexes, and i played some of those games to the point where i was so good, the only thing that killed me was running out of ammo, and i ended top scorrer by double the score of any other player there ususaly. its alot harder to do that in ro, and running and gunnin is a sure way to rifeled by a noob. (never mind what a pro can do with a rifle, thats just fkin scarry...)

Upvote 0
The more i play with RO other FPSs are not good!
I tried dod:source and it simply ****s.The only good thing about it was
the psysics i left a grenade to roll downslope and it roled all the way down.
Everything else in the game ****ed!

Day of Defeat: Source is good for what it's worth. It's suppose to be a fun arcade-like shooter, it was never intended to be a simulation of World War II.

Upvote 0
Whenevr I play other games where you dont have to lead the player, I feel like I've been really 'dumbed' down and ny kill I make has no satisafaction what-so-ever!
I have to say I'm in the same camp...the kills in other games lose something after the challenge of RO.
I have noted that many of the positive comments of other games always leads to an example of the physics accuracy.
In that respect, RO is definitely one of the leaders.

Upvote 0
Day of Defeat: Source is good for what it's worth. It's suppose to be a fun arcade-like shooter, it was never intended to be a simulation of World War II.

IMO it fails on both respects, from what I played during the free weekend.

As for RO screwing up your aim- doesn't happen we me. But then I played Mechwarrior for years, which meant dealing with lead/non lead weapons at the same time. :)

Upvote 0
Which is a huge check mark in the negative side effects column for ballistics. That's why I stick to servers with 120 ping or less.

And as far as RO making you miss in other games without ballistics, I think that's a bunch of rubbish. I switch between RO and CS:S daily and I have no problem. It's pretty easy to realize in CS:S that you don't have to lead them. The two different games have two different feels, one shouldn't really conflict with the other.

But every player is different I suppose.

well said!

Upvote 0
I played CS:S this weekend over at my friend's house. Awesome.

It was probably 2 minutes before I heard the obligatory 12 year old:

"Goddamn hacks, he saw me through the wall, ****ing hax."

Of course, me being in the RO mindset, I assumed anyone that killed me was better than me - and then I realized one of them actually was using hacks.

Ahahaha.

RO = My Anti-Hax

Upvote 0
I have to add, too, that RO is by far the new gold standard of 'realism' games. I'm a convert from Delta Force: Blackhawk Down, and even though that system is close it doesn't begin to include all the detail of RO, IMHO.

I have to say, also, that I recently picked up a copy of the orginal 'Call of Duty' and between the both of them I'm slowly improving my infantry play (I'm usually to be found inside a tank in RO); CoD helps me with my 'shoot and move' practice, and RO 'keeps it real'. Although multiplayer CoD is basically a free-for-all spray and pray, it does a decent job of driving home the need for moving under cover and aggressive play.

If given the choice of ONE of them to play, though, you can bet my #1 choice would STILL be RO, by far. Nothing comes close.

Upvote 0