• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Kriegstadt Beta 2

I have one little suggestion..

Zone names. When I press the voice command 'Hold This Position!' or 'We Need Help!' the location in parenthesis is a generic value. I think it says the name of the entire map, but it would be cool if it said Apartments or Moltke Bridge for example - you know, wherever you happen to be. Just a little polishing idea :cool:

Upvote 0
What you provided seems close but at the same time it seems off. I'll try some more tweaking.

EDIT: Actually I think I will stick with what I have now because overall I wanted for it to be darker. To exactly match the color of the photographs would be adding more light to the scene. The last thing I want to do is make the players stick out blatantly. Your help is appreciated though Quietus, thank you.
I fixed the gear, boots etc. I got it pretty good now, about the only thing is the "blanky" or whatever that thing is over the shoulder. I could do that given more time and if anyone is interested. Also if it's still too light I can rectify that too if you want. Anyway just trying to get some better uniforms in the game any way I can. If you like the new one I can send you the texture. Here's what it looks like:
closeenough2et9.png

Upvote 0
Definitely too bright. Like I said, I'll probably stick with what I have now, but thanks to you bringing up the issue I felt compelled to do more research. Apparently the enlisted uniforms did not have breast pockets, but the officer/NCO uniforms did. The photographs posted earlier seem to confirm this as well. Since the Kommandir is basically an NCO, he should have the pockets, but is it worth adding the extra uniform data for one class...?

This images are from Ebay, and the color here seems more like what I have it currently in Beta 2.

cec8_1.JPG
56c5_1.JPG

Remember though, I want for the uniforms to be dark. Distinguishable will be nice, but I don't want them to be whitish specks at a distance or in stark contrast with the interiors. So, don't worry about it too much Quietus. Thanks again for the effort.

I'm really tired (4:32AM) but will answer the other stuff before I move on and forget...

Trendkill: that building is effectively the hinge on which the Hotel capzone hangs. I felt that entering through the windows was acceptable enough for the Allies, and when I decided that destroying a portion of the wall would be best, I had already merged the window meshes and didn't want to have to redo it. If I open up the building on the first floor, I have no where to put a stairwell (building is bounded at the rear by an antiportal, and I don't want stairs just coming up in to rooms). I feel that the building works okay for now. However I intend to block up one of the windows on it which faces the Hotel such that a Russian set up on the sandbags inside of the said building can't be shot from the Hotel and instead work as a suppressive unit. Might end up adding more cover for the Germans in the street leading to the Hotel however.

REZ: Location volumes are definitely something I want to make happen. Currently, only places that I based on reality have names (Washingtonplatz, Ausstellungspark, Packhof, Alsen Viertel, etc). These are all around the Moltke Bridge. A lot of the buildings are artistic license and as such I had no real names to use for them. I will however look in to it and also set up the location volumes on a floor-by-floor basis (I did this with Beta 2: Interior Ministry, Second Floor and Interior Ministry, Third Floor). Hopefully this should make it easier for players without microphones to communicate.

Upvote 0
In my experience the best thing to do when at the Moabit is to have 2 teams simultaneously advancing on each side of the street with a tank or 2 in the street itself providing support and supressing the Hotel.
And the window entrance to that building was pretty obvious to me.
A thing to remember on this map is to keep close to the walls and minimize exposure to the enemy when running at them,so they only see you when you're making a run for the next ruined building section.

Speaking of uniforms,I also had a awkward moment at the Deutschbank.
I was on the left side,in the building close to the Pantherturm with about 5-6 team-mates.I ran outside first with me Mosin and saw 2 Germans running towards me.I didn't open fire right away,neither did my team,or the Germans!
I only attempted a hipshot when the first German virtually ran past me!
I got injured in the arm by the second one but my team managed to take them out.
I really love the unique experience this map creates,especially on no deathmessages servers.

Upvote 0
I noticed today that this map could use some extra scenery objects such as streetlamps or random pieces of litter to make it look nicer. Looks awesome already though :D
You must realise the sheer size of the map limits what details can be put in, but I have to say the amount of detail, in buildings especially, seems to go down nearer the end of the map.

Upvote 0
I actually like the buildings toward the end. A lot of the lack of detail comes from the need to optimize and reduce the total amount of BSP. I'm content with the Ministry Building and the Lehrter Bahnhof, for instance, but some improvements could probably be made. My main concern is making my hybrid PanzerfaustPickup/VehicleFactory class so I can link Panzerfaust pickups to infantry spawns and have them disable/destroy themselves when said areas deactivate, which should lead to improved network performance. Then I might add a few more things in to the map, but still it's going to be a lot of optimization work.

Any ideas though, as to what can be done with the detail at the end? Things you'd like to see added/changed?

Upvote 0
The version of the package varies between the versions of the map, so I suggest playing just on Beta2. In any event, to remove this problem, go to your Red Orchestra folder, then to System. In there, find BerlinTanksMod and rejoin the server. Repeat as necessary for other mismatches.

To make it even easier on you, just download and install the map from the links provided in the first post. Be sure that you play on Beta2 because Beta1 packages are not compatible with it and vice versa.

Upvote 0
Any ideas though, as to what can be done with the detail at the end? Things you'd like to see added/changed?

This map is awesome. Looks just like the CC3 map (which was of course a replica of the real city)

Personally, I think there should be another Pak or fortified Panther guarding the middle of the bridge for one final last stand. The two on the flank are too easy to knock out.

My only complaints are of course frame rate, network lag, and of course trying to find all the Panzerfaust locations.

Upvote 0
What I meant by details was many of the buildings earlier in the map are well furnished while others later are mostly completely empty and the area around the Lehter Bahnhof and in front of the Moltke Bridge looks quite bare. There are also a lot of places, earlier and later in the map, where even though there are invisible walls stopping you from leavng the map you can still see 'outside' it.

I was thinking maybe, if it was possible, that Packhof building where you can't put any rubble around you could build it up and make it 'un-destroyed' and add all the windows in? At least then it won't need any rubble or anything around it. Also I was wondering whether you could open up a hole in the back of one the buildings to allow for infantry to attack through this street I've marked on the map because at the moment it serves no purpose and there are a few seams in that area where you can also see 'outside' of the map.
KSMAP.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally, I think there should be another Pak or fortified Panther guarding the middle of the bridge for one final last stand. The two on the flank are too easy to knock out..
A Pak can spawn at the middle. Last time I played, there were 3 Paks at the german side of the bridge. Was quite a hassle to clear them when tankers were hanging back.

Upvote 0
This map is awesome. Looks just like the CC3 map (which was of course a replica of the real city)

Personally, I think there should be another Pak or fortified Panther guarding the middle of the bridge for one final last stand. The two on the flank are too easy to knock out.

I wonder if, like the CC3 map, I should make the Packhof have a collapsed roof? Or maybe that wouldn't work out because I would need to open up the windows (to make it look right).

Also with the PaK Guns, something I was considering was concealing them within some of the buildings along the bridgehead, but the players would need to trigger the walls to fall down when they got there (thusly when the gun became visible it was manned, instead of being able to be picked off from a distance). Still though I will need to do a fair deal of optimization before this can happen.

Trendkill, the street that you marked there is home to just static mesh building facades, and thus it is unlikely that I can have the infantry attack through there. Furthermore, that block of the city contains an anti portal, so it serves the job of optimization. At best, I could have one building at the corner empty out on to the street behind where the T34/76 currently is.

Upvote 0
Well I can say that Beta3 will be introducing long-needed aesthetic changes and network optimization, but my main goal is the network optimization. Hopefully if I can make parts of the Packhof in to static meshes I can reduce the load that it puts on the players' computer as well.

EDIT: Oh and before I make it look like I forgot him, Quietus, you did a nice job of matching the colors in the photographs, but for the intents and purposes of my map I just want for the uniforms to be a bit darker. I'll play around with it and keep everyone updated when I make changes. Anyway, thank you for your input.

Upvote 0
I think you should do whatever to the Packhof if it'll make it look better. I found out you can walk behind the trees next the Lehter Bahnhof, you might wanna add some invisible walls there.

Sort of off topic - where could I get CC3? Or is CC3 basically the same a CC:Cross of Iron?

Trendkill I am myself a Close Combat series fanatic and for further information about the difference between Close Combat III: The Russian Front and Close Combat: Cross of Iron I suggest that you go to to one or both of the following CC websites:

Closecombat.org
or
Closecombatseries.net

Upvote 0
Well I can say that Beta3 will be introducing long-needed aesthetic changes and network optimization, but my main goal is the network optimization. Hopefully if I can make parts of the Packhof in to static meshes I can reduce the load that it puts on the players' computer as well.

Great news. I played beta 2 today (as Soviet, as usual) and am quite satisfied with how it plays. This map is nothing short of can of concentrated awesomness...

on a sidenote: can I steal that nifty sig, Trendkill ? :p

Upvote 0