• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Kolno beta

I just love this map...
Had a furious battle for the German bridgehead with no reinforcements left, one of the most tense engagements I've been in to date.

Big thanks to FPH for this outstanding map.

Always good to hear about good games on the map. I've made some changes, but I've been a bit occupied with some other stuff, so I'm not sure when I can get another beta out. Unfortunately the changes to the ending objective require now that I redo a bit of bot pathing. I'm also still working on some more lod stuff, which is working pretty well. I'll try to get a shot of what I've done up so people can check it out.

Post screen shots of location bugs.

I'll change those mill windows, thats a pretty bad bug.

Upvote 0
I got stuck along the river coming from the Russian spawn, where the land meets the flowing water. My movement slowed down massively, and I could only move in a small area right on that border, and only forward & backwards. I ended up suiciding to get out.

Maybe have Nazi death crabs pinch you to death if you put your toes into the river too early?

Upvote 0
I'm beginning to rethink this map. While the initial movements are fun, it seems to end in a "fish in a barrel" shoot-em-up with one side pretty well locked into their spawn. At least that's how it went twice out of three times tonight, and when that happens it's basically over except the crying and shouting.

If the Russians get locked into their main spawn, they have no way out. The Germans seem to at least have the mill as a flanking option, but for the Russians it's one long run out into the open to get cut to ribbons. Not cool.

Plus, once you're at that point, why bother continuing the map? When the Germans have taken all but the Russian Line, it's just a question of reinforcements and usually the Germans have the positioning advantage. Plus, with TWO MGs, they just chew up the russians and that's that. It's just a waste of time once you get to that point.

So, maybe think about either removing the Russian line as an objective and simply have the Germans cap that last Homestead and that's it, or give the russians a flanking objective similar to the Mill so that it's not just a linear turkey shoot.

Upvote 0
I'm beginning to rethink this map. While the initial movements are fun, it seems to end in a "fish in a barrel" shoot-em-up with one side pretty well locked into their spawn. At least that's how it went twice out of three times tonight, and when that happens it's basically over except the crying and shouting.

If the Russians get locked into their main spawn, they have no way out. The Germans seem to at least have the mill as a flanking option, but for the Russians it's one long run out into the open to get cut to ribbons. Not cool.

Plus, once you're at that point, why bother continuing the map? When the Germans have taken all but the Russian Line, it's just a question of reinforcements and usually the Germans have the positioning advantage. Plus, with TWO MGs, they just chew up the russians and that's that. It's just a waste of time once you get to that point.

So, maybe think about either removing the Russian line as an objective and simply have the Germans cap that last Homestead and that's it, or give the russians a flanking objective similar to the Mill so that it's not just a linear turkey shoot.

I've redone the end point objectives, they don't really work as is, and I think they will work much better in the next version, both in that the defenders will be able to break out but the attackers will be able to capture with a concerted effort. Hopefully no longer a turkey shoot, especially on the russian line, which was tbh somewhat ill-conceived.

Upvote 0
Groovy! :) I'll look forward to seeing the changes!

By the way, don't get me wrong here. If the map is Germans assaulting the Russians, then the Russian line works pretty well as a defensive position. But since the map is a meeting engagement, the original concept is a bit open in the approach from the sandbags to the wall surrounding the homestead.

Actually, come to think of it, I bet this would be an AWESOME map -- as it is now even -- as a German assault on a Russian-held town...

Maybe two versions! Kolno Assault and Kolno Meeting or something. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In all honesty the German bridgehead seems to be an objective that doesn't need much reworking...it's the last Russian objective that I think needed the change. Admittedly, whenever I played, if we managed to push the Russians back we could set up on the sandbags in the capzone overlooking the Russian spawn exit. In contrast to the Bridgehead of course, where the Germans are offered a good defensible position and can, thanks to the sheds/buildings on their side of the riverbank, get to the capzone without having to worry too much of being cut down en route.

Of course, I trust your abilities as a mapper very much, and you're certain to resolve the issue as you say you have. Looking forward to it a lot.

Upvote 0
I haven't played it much as the Germans, but from assaulting the German bridgehead position, I'd say that sounds accurate. Plus, the Germans can always send a force along several well-covered paths to the inn, and can approach the Mill as a flanking maneuver if they want. The Russians have no such options at their spawn and final cap zone. They have a lot of open ground to cover to get TO the final cap zone to defend, a lot of open ground between a prety strong defensive position at the Homestead (namely the walls and tank wrecks), and can basically go only one way -- to the Homestead.

A second objective for them to capture (and to thereby split the German force) would be a good addition, I think. Not necessarily a "mill mirror image" but some side objective that lets you split the enemy's defensive force the way the Mill and Inn do for the Germans. Plus cover roughly equivalent to what the Germans have in approaching said position(s).

Upvote 0
Lately when I have been playing this map, it seems the Germans have a hard time winning, or more accurately, they tend to loose probably 75% of the time or more.

Is this just me and the times I have been on, or are others finding this out also? :confused:

If I am right, might I suggest that the cap zones for the Mill not include the area outside and west of it (Russian side), and the barn not be included in the capzone for the Inn? This might make it a little harder for the Russians to capture/recapture those areas that are closer to the German side of the map.

Upvote 0
I haven't played it recently, so it's possible Russian teams are developing better tactics, but I find that the Russians often end up locked into their spawn which leads to an eventual German victory.

I will say that the Inn cap zone is pretty wide, though. The Mill I can see being wide as long as it's wide for everyone equally (IE: on all approaches to the mill) rather than the Russians being closer to the cap zone. alternatively the Russian "side" of the mill could be left larger simply because they have a lot more ground to cover to get there, whereas the Germans can lock it up tight early on.

Upvote 0