• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO Impressions now the game's been out (for vets and new comers)

shadowmoses

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2006
Id like to know how you first heard about RO...even going way back when to the MOD...
Id also like to know how you felt about the game the first time you played it and how much has changed since...(thats for MOD vets mostly)...

Also, tell how you RO Ost is doing as far as a few month old game goes...
And how about telling what you see in its future?

____________IMPORTANT REMINDER_____________

Please remember to keep all comments respectfull and mature...
No attacking someone else for their post/oppinions or what have you.
This is a thread for people to share their thoughts...not share their
anger and point their fingers...
Be respectfull and have fun playing RO!
Peace:D
-uBi

Best online game i've ever played period its defiantly getting better for me more people getting used to basic tactics etc and im getting to know people in the MATURE ro community makes a welcome change to the cod one. I first became aware of this game while i was searching on google for a more realistic alternative to cod2 (shudders) heck i even quite my cod2 clan because i couldnt stand playing cod2 after roo. I cant speak for others but i'll be with this game for a long time to come maybe be even hopefully roo on UE3.

Upvote 0
As TTR fizzled out I needed a new WW2 game to play. I had known about RO, mostly good things, and instead of waiting for the UT2k3 version of TTR, I hopped on board RO at about v1.1. The game was awesome, to say the least.

RO has only gotten better and is easily the best FPS i have ever played.

Upvote 0
I found RO mod (version 3.something) when I was looking for a realistic game play, as opposed to UT2004. My first map was a tank map, and I didn't know how the team select thing was meant to work. After a week or so playing infantry maps, and eventually getting the hang of it, I was hooked. I found it great fun, and for probably quite a few months I kept discovering new maps, some of them I've still only played once or twice :( and now'll probably never really get to play online again.

I remember aaages ago someone online commenting that they reckoned you'd eventually have to pay to play RO. And to think I scoffed at the idea...

Upvote 0
My person impression...

My person impression...

I hopped on RO way back in V1.0.
My god
Those where the days!
I had been tossing around Cod and MOH befor i had gotten a full respect for RO.
The game at first was kinda hard to get used to but that, i feel was only due to its true complex make up. I had never seen a game that has a war-like play, nor had i seen a community so hell bent on makeing a game that was not only different from all other FPS but was set to deliver a Realistic online experiance...
The game REALLY DOES place you in the boots of an eastern front soldier, hands you a rifle, and shoves you into your monitor with gun blazing and bullets flying.
Ive only ever seen realism come out of this game...
Almost every version of the mod that came out improved the games feel and reach for realism in one way or another. I cant tell you how important it is for me to have a realistic game that is such a breath of fresh air from all the other WWII shooters. We were blessed with a team that knew history and knew how to deliver an awsome game...
With the introduction of Ost i was so pleased with the new comers and recent additions to the community...and even happier to see some old faces show up on the forums only a a day after its release. First time playing Ost i was just shocked by the new look, sounds, and feel that the levels and equipment had...While staying true to all the good things the MOD had, but improving it on so many levels.
Its like watching a good WWII movie...Saving Pvt. Ryan, Band of Brothers, and maybe even Enimey at the gates (i know that EATG wasnt very realistic so dont post anything about it)...all these movies really made you feel the grime and dirt, the smell of the gun pouder and burning bodies...I think thats what the MOD did and what Ost has done even more.
Everything from attaching a beyonet to seeing the the way you load a mauser and the time it really takes to do so is what struck me as just flat out cool...One of the things that really seperates this game from others like CoD and MoH, is that the game is not an arcade-like FPS...hell i might even go as far to say its not fun...Instead i would say that the game is enjoyable and as close to war as one can get on a PC...
Its not always fair, not always fun, not always what you want or expect...but isnt that the way war is?
I only see good things from the new community and from the Tripwire Staff...I cant wait to see whats around the bend.
peace
-{uBi}

Last edited:
Upvote 0
2 cents

2 cents

I downloaded this game to pass the time until the Forgotten Hope 2 mod to be released for Battlefield. :)

I played about 6 hrs on the weekend. This is an awesome game! I like that RO is not an arcade "run and gun" type of game and i appreciate the lack of bunny-hopping morons populating the game. Lots of potential for team play. I like it.

THe only thing i found somewhat frustrating is the objective map. Very awkward. While the maps are excellent, they are extremely easy to get lost in. And standing still while I toggle the map key to figure out which way to point my rifle is certain death in this game.

If warfare is 10% shooting and 90% getting your weapon system to the right place at the right time, then i am certain i am at running at 2% effectiveness. I really do like the BF map overlay. Wish they had something similar in RO.

Now if can only remember to reload my rifle...

cheers

Upvote 0
Sharpe said:
I downloaded this game to pass the time until the Forgotten Hope 2 mod to be released for Battlefield. :)

I played about 6 hrs on the weekend. This is an awesome game! I like that RO is not an arcade "run and gun" type of game and i appreciate the lack of bunny-hopping morons populating the game. Lots of potential for team play. I like it.

THe only thing i found somewhat frustrating is the objective map. Very awkward. While the maps are excellent, they are extremely easy to get lost in. And standing still while I toggle the map key to figure out which way to point my rifle is certain death in this game.

If warfare is 10% shooting and 90% getting your weapon system to the right place at the right time, then i am certain i am at running at 2% effectiveness. I really do like the BF map overlay. Wish they had something similar in RO.

Now if can only remember to reload my rifle...

cheers
Yes i understand that...
I think thats what makes the game so unique.
They made it so manual...having to ,anually bolt rifles, and manually reload.
Its all there to give the feel of working a rifle...
As far as getting lost in maps go...itll come in time. about a week and a half of once in a while toggleing the map...then it becomes more of a mental picture in your head...
Peace
-uBi

Upvote 0
I'm 14 and I have only had an actual windows pc for a year and a half (before I used to play WC3 and UT99 on a mac). I purchased the UT2k4 ECE and it included many of the mods for the game (since I had such fond memories of UT99 on the mac, before I figured out wasd :p), I tried out the mod in singleplayer and thought WW2 shooters were very cool. I promptly purchased BF1942 and loved it. (This was before I had an internet connection on the windows.) A while later I had played MoH, and DoD and other WW2 shooters and I loved them all. More recently I got CoD2 and I thoroughly enjoyed playing that game, and still do with my clan mates. Somehow I heard that RO:O was coming up so I booted up the mod again and I didn't like it. I figured I would only bother to learn how to play the game when I got it. So I pre-ordered and I love it. Boy that was unnecessarily long! Phew...:confused:

Upvote 0
Sharpe said:

Hehe. Back when I began, most maps didn't even feature maps, and those who did simply offered a very,very rough hand drawn sketch of the area with no indicator of where you are, or which direction you were facing... :D

I was always into realistic FPS games, so the decision to try out Beta 1.2 was a no-brainer really. I soon got hooked (took about half a map... called Summer44) and shortly after, I found myself paying 50

Upvote 0
I found the mod a while back just looking at all sorts of UT mods, it was the best of all that I tried so I stuck with it. The fist time I tried it I thought it wsa not very good, but that was only because I was playing with a bunch of bots. That was version 1.2 (I think), I didnt start playing online heavely until later(the internet was not on my comp at that time). Well I beleive it is doing very, at least it was when I last played it(about two weeks ago, My internet conection only last for about 20 minutes, Its a problem with the transformer). And I see a frikkin awsome UE 3.0 beast on its way.:D

Upvote 0
I saw it wandering down an aisle looking for a new game. I got it cause it looked good, had an offline mode, and turned you loose with some of the more famous/infamous WWII tanks. It's definately better than the arcade-like shooters I've played. I'll eventually get online when I feel the need to help somebody boost their score :D

Upvote 0
Been a forum member since before the initial mod release. Became a moderator for the official forums and beta tester of the mod. RL tore me away and I ended my involvment in the game about a year and a half ago. When I heard the guys had formed Tripwire to make this a retail product I had to get it of course! :D

As for my impressions, love it. Always have. Prefer infantry only maps (didn't really want vehicles added) but am having more fun with the tanks then I thought I would. Especially with the Pak-Soldat :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Found the mod about 2.something and played around with it a bit, picked it back up with 3.0. Life did its annoying thing and got in the way, so I only got to play 3.3 long enough to go 'man, that's cool!'. Now that the retail is out and things have settled down, I'm in hog heaven :)

As for my thoughts, I think this is a fantastic game. Definately the most intense and enjoyable WW2 FPS game available. I think it needs some tweaking, but I am glad to stand by TripWire and let them prove themselves in the gaming market. It will only get better with time :)

Upvote 0
I have been playing online FPS games since 1999. I liked playing Ghost Recon, Vcod, UO, Cod2. I heard about RO and had to buy it. I pre-ordered and had it the first day of release.

I think RO has the best realism and best gameplay of almost any game. The problem is the graphics are lacking. For a game to be really good and successful graphics should be nice. I realize it is an older engine. I think when they use the newer engine to make another installment of RO it will be a much better game.

The soldiers move very stiff-like almost robotic. The guns pull up just a tad bit too slow. If the gun pulled up just a minute millisecond faster it would be more realistic to me.

I had my whole clan buy this game and everyone has expressed these same basic opinions.

All of them expressed that the graphics were lacking and if the graphics were top of the line then the game would be much more enjoyable.
The basic gameplay and realism of RO is fantatstic though.

Upvote 0
I first heard about RO from friends of mine that play a CoD Mod called Heat of Battle, I can't stand vCoD with all the run&gun bunny hopping guff. HoB did away with the crosshairs, introduced nade-cook with no meter, incorperated sprinting, a G43,SVT-40 including bayonette,Greasegun,STEN Mk5,BAR is deploy-able, and kick-*** map packs with spawn protection, and the server I play on has a no bunny hopping rule. I heard that RO was all about realism and had a lot of the same qualities that I liked in HoB. After watching game trailers and hearing good reviews of RO-Ost. I decided to pick it up. I have not been disappointed, this is an Awesome Game! :D It will definately keep me busy 'till HoB:S for the Source Engine comes out. ;D

Upvote 0
I played the total conversion mods The Third Reich and Infiltration(*) on UT99. Both mods have iron sights and no crosshair. Since RO said it strifed for realism i got UT2003 and played the mod. Later on UT2k4 i really became a follower of the mod. Now, ironically, i still have to purchase RO:O. ;)

(*) Infiltration, a bit like RO is a real life infantry mod for UT99 with modern weapons and no vehicles. Here is a thread with screenshots. Beware modem users.

Upvote 0
Let's see......

One day I read about RO in a TINY little blurb in MacAddict (seriously, it was this little thing of <50 words and a postage-stamp sized screenie; I'd scan it if I could find the damned issue....) and thought that it looked pretty neat. However I didn't have UT2k3 at the time and wasn't planning on buying it since 2K4 was going to be released in a few months anyway (at this point I was really more interested in UT; mods were secondary) After that I pretty much forgot about RO. When UT2K4 finally came out, I bought it. After a couple of weeks of playing, I started thinking about mods and remembered "that neat sounding WW2 mod I read about a long time ago" :) I dug up the old copy of MacaAddict and got the url. It was acouple of weeks after the release of 2.0, and the video demonstrating the new MG-34 made me drool :D After seeing it deployed and the barrel change (OMG THAT IS SOO COOL!!! :D~~ I thought) I HAD TO download it and try it. Once I started playing it, I realized that it was OMGWTF-AWESOME, and after the customary week of getting my ass handed to me, I was totally hooked; it pretty much instantly became my number-one game that sucked in all of my free time.

As time went on, RO just got better and better with each release, except for perhaps the occasional major bug, but those were always fixed quickly :) Back in the 2.0 days there were still many features to be added to RO, and I enjoyed the massive threads where people would argue about how much better adding tank would make RO or how much it would destroy the gameplay (These things would go on for 30-50 pages, they were real monsters, but somehow they managed to remain intelligent and on-topic for most of the time)

When 3.0 and tank finally were introduced, while innovative, they were really clunky and hard too use, although still a lot of fun to use. As RO progressed to 3.3 They just got more and more polished, as well as pretty much everything else ingame.

With the release of Ostfront, I was effectively cut off from RO since steam requires windows :( However, I bought a copy anyway (Since RO is just THAT COOL!!!) and my friend was kind enough to allow me to essentially rape his hard drive with it (His comp was brand-spanking new, and I was fragmenting his hard drive's pristine bits with 2 gigs of a game that he was going to delete after I was done playing it) and play for a couple of hours :D Somehow, the devs managed to make Ostfront a hundred times awesomer than ever!

I'm pretty sure that in the futre, RO will just keep getting better and better, culminating hopefully with a version on the UE 3.0 engine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0