• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO/DH RAM Memory Leak Error under Windows7

Alan123

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
steamcommunity.com
Hello,

Yesterday I did some testing while playing with regards map memory usage.

While playing Cholm on my pc with Win7 LAA tool in use, full server, noticed the following interesting phenonma:

RAM Start 1.8GB, half way through 2.5GB, toward the end 2.7GB.

Road to Tunis, 3/4 full server:

2.4GB, then every 15mins until the end, 2.6GB, 2.8GB, 2.9GB.

Changed Operating system to Windows XP no LAA activated.

Krivio Bridges, Snowy panthers and River Island on full to half full server as it got later and later.

1GB to 1.2GB with no change, steady as a rock.

It seems that when one plays in Win7 there is a memory leak where the RAM usage accumulates until at some point the game crashes with an excess memory error, I would not mind betting that I had played another couple or hours, lol, I would have reached 4+GB (limit of RO/DH memory with LAA tool) and would have experienced a game crash. Most players are not aware of LAA and so are limited to 2GB whereupon the memory leak problem would result in a crash sooner or even straight away on larger maps.

I measured the RAM usage using the task manager monitoring gauge (control Alt delete and task manager) and watched the RAM usage. Pls also do this and see what happens on your pc and when is a crash experienced. I will try without LAA on and see how that goes.

When running in winxp there was no memory leak whatsoever. It cleared and rebuilt with each map change as no doubt is supposed to do being originally a winxp game.

Not sure how to go about fixing a memory leak, more likely an incompatibility in the game with win7 and not really fixable. = no future. I do not have win8 would be interesting to see if the same thing happens.

Was playing on the GG server too and there were a lot of players there dropping out the whole time with memory errors. That was the Feuille map. This is a big map and uses about 1.8GB of memory just to start up so many players would crash out straight away if they have a game RAM usage limit of 2GB.

What can be done to fix this memory leak problem. A solution here would also work for other games using the same Unreal Game Engine?:confused:

All the best

Alan

Last edited:
I agree with the last post, I have been doing my own tests and have found that there is a ram accumulation which does not clear when maps change or if you change servers, even if you close steam and start again its still there!

What I did was monitor ram use through the following sequence of map server and game changes.

Joined DH server ram use 1.1 gb
Joined another server and it went to 1.65gb
Changed back to original sever same map it went to 2.4gb
Closed steam it dropped to 2.3gb
Opened steam and joined same server same map it went to 2.6gb

Now here is the interesting bit!

I joined RO2 server it went to 4.2gb
Closed steam it dropped to 4gb
Rejoined the original DH server it went to 4.2gb

3 mins into the map 4.4gb and this:

Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3312 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 5670 (1072)

General protection fault!

History: FSortedIndexBuffer::GetContents <- FSortedIndexBuffer::GetContents <- FSortedIndexBuffer::GetContents <- FSortedIndexBuffer::GetContents <- FSortedIndexBuffer::GetContents <- FSortedIndexBuffer::GetContents <- FSortedIndexBuffer::GetContents <- FSortedIndexBuffer::GetContents <- FSortedIndexBuffer::GetContents <- FSortedIndexBuffer::GetContents <- FSortedIndexBuffer::GetContents <- FSortedIndexBuffer::GetContents <- FSortedIndexBuffer::GetContents <- FSortedIndexBuffer::GetContents <-

I am running the LAA tool and some other things I did to try and fix the crahes, see here:

[URL]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1287814&postcount=48[/URL]

At 4.2 gig this exceeds the max 4gig that the LAA tool expands the game to over the 2gig max from the standard game.

I am running Win7 Home Premium 64 bit with 12 gig ram ATI HD 5670 with 1gig, i3 Proc

I fired up my old 64bit 4 gig XP pro pc and did a similar test, the ram cleared to almost zero on every change, no LAA tool and no crashes.

To me this would sugest 3 things, 1. Windows 7 has a ram use issue or is structured to hold information on recently opened programs. 2. I understand other UT2003/4 games are having the same issue so it could mean game is incompatible with Win7 3. This sounds a bit harsh but game has not been updated correctly for Win 7.

I suspect its item 1.

Any ideas on this TWI?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's interesting. If I get time I'll run it on my Win 8 box (I usually play DH on my Linux partition where the memory thing isn't an issue).

It may be down to some weird caching Win 7 is doing.

I did the same test today with RO Ost and the same thing, but this time it was this one!

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3311 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: AMD Radeon HD 5670 (1247)

Ran out of virtual memory. To prevent this condition, you must free up more space on your primary hard disk etc,etc.

I bet if I kept at it the texture crash would crop up as well, probably depends at what point it falls over which crash you get.

Last edited:
Upvote 0