• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO-Budai Honved

FYROM

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Georgia Tech
This is my first attempt at mapping, but since I've been doing well learning Maya, I decided to go through with it :D. Since the battles of Hungary have been rather unrepresented in RO, I'm going to try and map part of the Siege of Budapest, in particular, the assault on the Budai Military Hospital (Budai Honved Korhaz) in Buda.

February 6th, 1945 - Day 95 of the Siege: The final week of the Siege is at hand. Soviet units close in on Castle Hill in Buda, with advance units already fighting on the edge of Vermezo Meadow, the final landing site for supply gliders in the city. The 66th Guard Rifle Division launches a major assault from Kis-Svab-Hegy towards Deli Station in order to flank the defenders of Vermezo. After breaking the line at Kiralyhago Ter, they assault the Budai Honved Korhaz, defended by remnants of 8th SS Cavalry Division and Hungarian paramilitary forces. Backed by heavy armored and artillery support, they manage to smash through to the Station, but not before taking heavy causalties.

(Blue are enterable buildings, red are roadblocks/tank ditches)

I'm mainly trying to capture the atmosphere and gameplay of RO-Pavlov and RO-MoltkeBridge, two of my favorite city-fight maps. Both have a good mix of long range rifle duels and close combat building assaults, although I hope to improve on the mix by throwing in some armored support. I'm using a 1941 streetmap for the groundplan, although the hospital layout itself isn't historical.

The Russians start out in Kiralyhago Ter, and launch their initial assault on the Administration Building, the only open cap. The capzone is in the upper floors, so the attackers have to secure the ground floor against reinforcement, and then clear the building before capping it.

This opens the Hospital Chapel and South Wing, which can be retaken until both fall, which locks them both. The hospital grounds will be littered with wreckage, providing cover for attackers and defenders alike. Finally, the Russians assault the Main Hospital Building, with the same upper floor capzone.

The weapon loadouts depend on the changes in RO:O, but I'm thinking of supporting the attack with an SU-76, with the defenders getting one or two Panzerfausts for defense. The SU-76 seems like can deliver good firesupport for the assault without being overwhelming with a machinegun, while being vulnerable enough that it can't rambo over the defenders. Another possiblity is to give the attackers a T-34/85, and the defenders a Stug-III, although I have to see if there's enough room to maneuver in the hospital complex, as well as good hiding spots for the Stug...

P.S. If you're wondering why the hospital has a factory chimney, that's the hospital's power plant and central heating system ;)