• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Rise of Flight

When I get money I'll upgrade to a Saitek X-52. If I had the money I'd get a CH fighter stick and throttle. I'll never be able to afford it, but if I could, I'd get a Thrustmaster A-10 stick. Too bad that is $450 on Amazon. :eek:

Right now I use a Sidewinder Precision 2. It is not too bad for RoF or WWII sims but is seriously lacking for modern aircraft.

Reactions: ImPeRaToR
Upvote 0
Those old MS sticks have crazy-accurate potentiometers, it's hard to buy such well-made stick nowadays, unless you want to shell out a few hundred for a modded cougar or warthog.

Especially with the way ROF uses FFB the MS FFB2 is really brilliant for it. The G940 is also nice if yo uhaven't got pedals and/or throttle quadrant but otherwise the FFB2 is better.

What I am refering to is the centering of the stick in ROF. with a spring-centered stick the stick is always in the middle. However, in order to model linear elevator input for asymetric elevator travel you have to "re-center" it a bit forward, which is no problem with FFB and airflow modeling on control surfaces.

Here some examples, a plane with symetric elevator would fly straight like this, depending on airspeed and such:

camel.png

A plane with asymetric travel, like many Fokkers and the S.E.5a will fly straight if the stick is like this:

se5a.png

So if you have spring-centered stick you will have to adjust the curves for each airplane or you will have to push forward, constantly.

Of course some planes like the Dr.I will require forward pressure even with an FFB stick, but to a lesser degree.

Upvote 0
I've been getting some kills against the AI fighters in the quick mission editor. It is satisfying to say the least. :D

I also put 15 planes on each side. 30 planes total as well as ships and other AI units. Performance didn't decrease that much. So the game is optimized rather well. My video card is clearly dated though, and my CPU is a bit of a bottleneck to. Does anyone have an HD 6950 2GB and play RoF? If so how does it run? I will likely be upgrading to one of those eventually and would like to get an idea of how well it runs the game.

The only thing this game is missing is an in depth mission editor. Or is there one that I have not found yet?

If you're reading this and are thinking about downloading it, just do it now. Even if you've never played a fight sim before. There is not much to do in these primitive planes and landing and taking off is rather easy. The learning curve is not that steep.

Upvote 0
A few 6970 and 6950 users reported that they can run their game at full settings, quite a few 6970 users even use multiple screens so the rendered resolution is far higher than say 1920x1200, which is what I am using for example.
Many of them also have a sandybridge CPU however so I am not sure how much it will help with an older CPU: the new career mode is very taxing and the CPU is a bottleneck there since all the AI calculations are done locally, in MP the server does all of that.

The game has been optimised very well and they have optimised it again and again over the past few updates but the clouds are really eating my FPS, and I already upgraded from a 8800GT to a 5770 last year, I still go below 40FPS at times but I guess that's not that bad.

The learning curve is not that steep.
Imo that depends quite a bit on what you fly and where though :)
Some excellent pilots play ROF, many of them were incredibly good 1on1 and 2on2 pilots in il2, and chances are you are going to meet them online ;) Many of the rotary planes in ROF are very manoeuvrable due to their low weight but they are also fairly hard to fly due to precesion of the rotaries, center of gravity issues, in some cases the wing profile etc so learning to fly those efficiently will provide a relatively steep learning curve. The two triplanes and the camel are affected the most by this, but at the same time they are also some of the best planes, though the Sopwith Triplane might be a tad less impressive than the Fokker Triplane.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You'll need a joystick. A controller won't be of any use either. A controller is only suitable for Ace Combat level stuff.

I disagree about that, as long as you're just willing to calibrate it right. Obviously top quality joystick is always beter than a pad but if you want cost efficient way to get started without having to risk if you like the genre or not. After all a cheap joysticks tends to cease to function properly after you handle it roughly compared to a gamepad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Loaded up RoF today and for whatever reason by default the it is zoomed very close into the cockpit (SPAD). And I can no longer zoom out as far as I used to. :confused:

I can no longer see my front sight as the area where the two pieces of glass connect block it. Very odd because I played the SPAD earlier today and I didn't have these issues. I didn't change anything in the settings either. Anyone know how to adjust the default zoom/FOV?

Edit:

Found this and rest the FOV and zoom.

http://en.wiki.riseofflight.com/index.php?title=Cockpit_views_setup

Now I can see my front sight again! Back to flying. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Worst case you can always ask on the ROF forums :)

The center view is a snap view like the others you can find on the numpad. Btw, if you press insert and delete in addition to the numpad number keys you get additional snap views, to easily access gauges, gun sights etc. You can also modify them yourself, either with notepad or in-game.

To do this, hold down the key for the snapview you want to modify, keep it pressed, then modify the snap view with arrow keys and the six buttons above them. When you are satisfied press F10 while still holding the snapview key(s), then let go of them.

You might want to back them up first, you can find them here:
Rise of Flight\data\LuaScripts\snapviews

Something else regarding backup and update "safety", don't use the normal input map, create a new one because it might get overwritten by an update and then you have to redo everything.

Regarding the skins I made a few unofficial skin packs, one for the career mode, one for virtual squadrons, that way you don't have to install all of it, you can find them here:

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=20669

Upvote 0
You can buy the Iron Cross Edition of ROF at Direct2Drive for $5 atm, it comes with 8+1 planes which is far cheaper than getting the demo and buying additional planes.

http://www.direct2drive.com/9756/product/Buy-Rise-of-Flight-–-Iron-Cross-Edition-Download

edit: you might have to register a new account though since the licence key may not work with yours. If you are really keen on keeping your account and just adding the extra planes to it you could send an email to [email protected], the chaps are always very helpful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So those of you who have this which servers do you fly?

I've been hitting up the german newbie dogfight server a lot lately, but it can be pretty frustrating when people just stack the Allies and fly Camels.

Only German plane that has any chance against them in a turning fight is the Pfalz IIIa and only if you get them turning to their weaker side.

I love the Pfalz though :D

Upvote 0
Actually the Dr.I has an edge over the Camel because it can turn inside it and it can roll and scissor a lot better. At the same time it is also harder to fly well so you need to fly it regularly and often to make use of it. You also have to fly it very agressively and use it's turret-like ability to point it's guns at the enemy if you want to win because the 130HP of the Camel allow it to keep it's energy a tiny bit better so time is of the essence. hit the wings or engine early on to decrease it's thrust and turn rate and you can finish it off soon enough.

On average though, taking the difficulty of flying the Dr.I into account, I guess the Camel is the better plane since it also can do all the other central planes can do, but better.

The Pfalz D.IIIa is pretty much the noob plane, given some altitude it can turn with a camel for some time, it rolls well and it never spins. But once reach the ground you are done for ;)

Still a good alternative to flying the Dr.I or D.VIIF though but the low top wing is really annoying tbh.

If you want to learn how to get the most out of your plane duels are best, for gunnery practice I go to FastFood :)

If I want some more tactical fights or blow **** up I join our server, Les Hellequins.

Upvote 0
This game is awesome. I d/l'ed the demo version with only two planes to check it out....and it's really blown me away. From the late 90's until CoDUO came out...pretty much all I did was fly sims. Then right after UO came ROOst...and I pretty much gave up flying except occasionally. Now that I'm fairly unimpressed with ROHoS thus far...I may have found a new game I can really sink my teeth into.

ps runs great on my PhII x3 720 / 4 gigs ram / HD6870 with med/high settings.

Upvote 0